K Serial Orville origins

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i just discovered something interesting..my ObG wine red with no ser no (so i assumed it was 1995..very late production and they just didnt stamp it) actually has in the right light the remnants of sticker evidence, now remember this is an Orville BY Gibson, with a ebony board and all mahog body, and fret binding...but has anyone ever seen another like this with a sticker? i haven't so I am assuming from japanstrats excellent info, that it is a 1993? era terada guitar..

pics here...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/ObG%20LPC%2057%20Reissue%20Wine%20Red%201995/

Hi Mark, i bought and sold on one just like that last year, mine was serialed and a Terada made guitar and was exactly like yours, right down to the Terada headstock shape. So i'd say just from the shape of the headstock on that one that it is a Terada made guitar. Compare it to a fujigen made one and you'll see the difference... :wink:

Mick

The http://www.guitarsjapan.com/orvillegibsoninfopage.html page is full of serial number errors
(for the correct serial numbers look around here or at Japanaxe or the Orville by Gibson wiki page).
This page also has a strange K Orville entry about Korean stickers under silver stickers which is completely wrong.
No K Orvilles have silver stickers and they don't have stickers under stickers (breeding stickers?)
and no Orville has any country of origin stickers full stop. They have probably bought a K Orville that
has been restickered by some genius like this K Orville that has ended up with a 1977 Greco sticker.

yousaygoodbyimg566x6001uw1.jpg

yousaygoodbyimg497x6001ei0.jpg

I have an Orville by Gibson SG without serial number.
So that supports the theory about the stickers on the early ones.

Seems to be a few Orville by Gibsons with no serial numbers around.

Do you have any pictures of it?

I'd say it is probably a Terada made OBG SG.

japanstrat said:
Seems to be a few Orville by Gibsons with no serial numbers around.

Do you have any pictures of it?

I'd say it is probably a Terada made OBG SG.

I am not sure of the maker yet.
Haven't dissected it yet :D

This one had a rugh life and I accidently dropped a heavy amp on it so the head snapped. The the headstock veneer broke inte two pieces as well.
I am currently fixing the crack and decided to replace the veneer. I removed the veneer from a K-Orville SG and to my surprise it does not fit perfectly on the 0bG. Small variations are OK but the holes for the tuners are totally out of place. Will try to remember to post a pic or two.

Latest posts

Back