Burny back on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzem

Reaction score
The burny of some discussion a week or two ago is back on the ebay. The reserve wasn't met last time bids went to 1200+. There was talk of authenticity and someone near seattle had actually tried a few times to see yhe ax but got the runaround. What bugs me about it is the single ring tuners. also it hasnt been played much since the fret job and might need new nut and set up as the frets are huge. check it out

Is this the link? I had noticed it (again) also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110249402126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

thats had changed tuners the originals are included and are double ring ..theres a pic there..shame about the refret but its deffo a nice early FLG-90

''This particular guitar is equivalent to the Greco EGF-1200 and the Tokai Reborn or Love Rock 120''

but thats a load of old Boll**ks....IMHO

What about this one?

Claimed solid top. Looks like two piece back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-Early-80s-LP-FLG90-Burst-FlameTop-MIJ-Nitro-Fin_W0QQitemZ190219720955QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another sweet burny!

But doesn't this Burny have "better" specs than a EG-1200? EG-1200 has a 2-piece back right? :)
Same neck, fret edge binding, nitro and what else? Oh yes, a lot cheaper ;)

try playing an EGF-1200 then try an burny-90

then you will understand..

the necks are totally different, as is the playability and tone

specs are not everything...really..

villager said:
try playing an EGF-1200 then try an burny-90

then you will understand..

the necks are totally different, as is the playability and tone

specs are not everything...really..
OK so specifically what are the neck differences? I have a 88 89 burny dont know MIJ and just got a tokai 85' ls150 and don't notice much if any diff. in playability. If anything the burny plays easier but I have had more time to set it up. I thought the higher end models had mostly nicer tops and electronics but neck profiles would be same? School me

greco EGF-1200 has a fatter neck than burnys and most tokais.

in fact all the super reals, the 850 1000 1200 and 1800 have larger necks than pretty well most other MIJ guitars..

I had the chance to try extensively my FLG-90 with a friend with his EGF-1200. The neck is thinner than Greco, let's put a '60 (Burny) and a late '50 (Greco). It depends on your tastes. I prefer bigger necks. The playability depends on your hands, technique, skll, and so on. Maybe players with smaller hands would prefer the Burny, but it's personal as always.
My guitar (1981) has more sustain than Greco (1980 or 1981). Greco pickups are closer to the '59 PAFs and are less powerful than mine even though mine are not L8001 that should be in a 1981 Super Grade.
We compared them also with a 1982 Tokai LS-80 and a Historic '58 Les Paul, and they won hands down. Beside this, again, it's a matter of taste.

I don't know about other Burny's but mine has a fairly chunky neck. In fact, a veteran gtr player my friend with gibson lp exp. described it immediately as a "50's neck". And my 1985 ls150 may have a slightly smaller neck but not much. By the way the Burny is not as pretty as my Love Rock but will get more work. It's a stellar LP!

50's gibson neck data ..

botbdata1wl.jpg

lots of variatione in size, so the expression ''50's neck'' is not an accurate judgement of the actual 50's neck sizes, it has become more of a generalisation taken to mean a fat neck, but actually from the data above you can see that in fact some 60's necks are actually fatter than some 50's necks, so the general usage of ''50's neck'' or ''60's neck'' does not actually reflect the variation in size of those original necks.

you can see that the average of the 3 years does reflect the general expressions we use nowadays, but an average value for guitar neck sizes means nothing when related to one individual guitar neck..

Ikkyu said:
I had the chance to try extensively my FLG-90 with a friend with his EGF-1200. The neck is thinner than Greco, let's put a '60 (Burny) and a late '50 (Greco). It depends on your tastes. I prefer bigger necks. The playability depends on your hands, technique, skll, and so on. Maybe players with smaller hands would prefer the Burny, but it's personal as always.
My guitar (1981) has more sustain than Greco (1980 or 1981). Greco pickups are closer to the '59 PAFs and are less powerful than mine even though mine are not L8001 that should be in a 1981 Super Grade.
We compared them also with a 1982 Tokai LS-80 and a Historic '58 Les Paul, and they won hands down. Beside this, again, it's a matter of taste.

So wich one did you like better? The EGF-1200 or your Burny?
I wish I had a EGF-1200 to try, but they are not very common hehe

Thanks good info!! I also liked seeing the weights cuz' I get alot of people talking about their gibsons weighing 13 14 pounds! And describing my Burny as light( it's 9.7 pounds) From what I have seen, 10 pounds is pretty standard for a heavyish LP and most are about 9.5. My Tokai ls150 is 10 lbs. exactly.

Bart, if I'd have to chose it would be a mix. I prefer the Greco neck because is thicker, I like the Dry-Z better than mine, but I prefer my guitar, speaking about the wood.
It's more resonant, beside being prettier.
As I said, I'd like to find a pair of VH-1, someone said they're quite close to the Dry-Z. With these two guitars the top would be to put the Dry-Z on mine, but my friend would be pissed.
Or, as he said, put my guitar around his Dry-Z, in this case I'd be pissed as well.
8)
Anyways both are really great guitars, I'd change mine only for a real '59, it says it all.

Back