New parts

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a hardtail guitar I don't think locking heads will make any difference as long as your restriniging technique is up to scratch.

I think gotoh do an adjustable wraparound bridge. Should fit percectly.

locking tuners cant get knocked out of tune easily, whereas its simple as anything to knock a normal tuner on anything on stage (person, cymbal, amp, another guitar etc) if you're throwin it around a bit.

I agree with Paladin, if you restring properly { wich if you look around most do Not!} you will have no problems. I have the Tulip Kluson and Kluson copies on all my guitars and never have a problem. Leave it alone ! It looks great! By the way got a butchered Goldstar from a "Bloke" who works for me, he is making money to go home to Manchester. Its a nice 56' style that has been hacked at in the electronics area. He needs the $ so I bought it for $200. When he leaves for home in OctoberI'm gonna give it back to him restored. He came here with that guitar and his clothes 6 years ago. I had to buy it so he would be able to return with it! Makes a "Mate" feel good on both sides of that deal! Have a great weekend all! TG :wink:

as I already said, stringing the guitar has nothing to do with knocking the tuners does it?

xadamx said:
as I already said, stringing the guitar has nothing to do with knocking the tuners does it?

Not that I've ever experienced the phenomenon (maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe those Grovers are as good as I'd hoped), but how would a locking head stop the knocking out of tune business any better than a properly strung guitar, especially a hardtail? The heads aren't locked in place, just the string around the post.

i dont know what you're on about, i've explained it all already? no offence but you're really annoying me now.

Tune-o-matic with sperzels....

DC1P13TS.jpg

Fixed bridge with sperzels...

C907.jpg

more...

PFCTBSW_front.jpg

xadamx said:
i dont know what you're on about, i've explained it all already? no offence but you're really annoying me now.

There was no need for that.

And no, you hadn't explained the point I raised. The only advantage of locking tuners on a hardtail would be to make re-stringing a bit easier - I stand by that.

mind if I add a little to the pot? The locking tuners I have require less than one turn around the pole, reducing the restringing time a little. Mine are on my Yamaha USA II with floating Wilkinson trem, but I never seem to use the trem on any of my guitars.
............. Now back to your regularly scheduled mudd slinging.....

hmmmm.. thought this thread was about adding new parts to Tokais ... silly me :wink:

I do have one Tokai that I have been forced to modify, an AST-56 that was very difficult to intonate. Had to remove the "Final Prospec" saddles and slap in some fron an old Japanese Squier. kept the bridge plate, although I may swap that out as well as it is really too short to intonate the low E properly. But the trem block is made from real steel, as opposed to the pot metal from the Japanese Squire, so I will keep that. The guitar has plenty of ring to it, but there?s something weird and tricky about the intonation. Could be the 57 Fender vintage specs that cause these problems. Have partially solved this with 10s, and I just may go to 11s. It?s a slow process but I will get there. I'm not an intonation freak, I just want the low E to play in tune with its smaller brothers.

The maple-board neck is wide and fat, nice to play and the fake Lake Placid Blue is pretty cool looking. But the Tokai pickups were shrill, and I do mean with a capital S. Threw in the old Squier pickups, which had a Dimarzio HS-2 in the bridge. Much, much better now. used the Squier pickguard but drilled no new holes. The Deluxe style tuners work fine on all my Tokais.

I have kept all the Tokai stuff, of course. So I could "restore" the thing if I need to. But if I want this to sound close to my other Toks, I had to do these things. Bought it off Ebay so can't return it, but not every Tok is a champion. Or at some need serious tweaking. But overall I love them.

A few of my mods are irreversible (I've sold the original pups and the old tuners won't fit any more) but this is very much a guitar for life so I don't mind.

xadamx - let's agree to disagree on those locking heads, right? :wink:

Latest posts

Back