added this to the quiver today...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakyjapan

Reaction score
I`ve never seen one like it and there was no paperwork in the case. Not in any of my catalogs and I`m starting to think it may be a one off custom order.
One piece mahogany body, satin finish neck and the gloss finish on the body is very thin, I can see the wood grain through it. Duncan Alnico Pro II p`ups, ebony fretboard.
Wiring is odd... heres what I think so far, and it`s only been a short time, in the front and rear positions the tone pots seem to do nothing, in the middle position, the neck VOLUME pot becomes the tone pot for both p`ups...I may need more time with it but as far as I can tell the tone pots are dummies.
Body back has a tummy contour and the pickguard must have been custom made for the guitar too as it covers more area than a regular Les Paul p`guard does and it`s clear plastic. Guitar is quite heavy and I think it doesn`t have a maple cap. Came with the strap locks seen in the pics and a hard case. So far seems to be a real beauty...selected it over two History Les Paul types they had...I may go back for one... but at more than twice the price I paid for this one.
Here are pics...

forsaleIV072.jpg

forsaleIV076.jpg

forsaleIV077.jpg

forsaleIV073.jpg

looking through my catalogs last night I saw that dummy tone pots were on some models in the 90s. This particular model is not listed though.

Unusual neck joint - is that a glued neck? It looks more like a through neck without a heel. :eek:

Mike

well, I can`t see any joint inside the neck p`up pocket so I`m thinking either it ends before the p`up cavity begins or it`s neck through. Tried to find some kind of indication of a neck through but can`t. Might have to get my wife to send the company a mail with the pics...may have better chances of a reply if the mail is in Japanese. Whatever the guitar is, it`s real nice...I`m liking it more and more. May check out the Duncan site to see if I can get a diagram to connect the tone pots...or not, it`s unique the way it is and I have other Les Paul types that do the regular LP thing so having a guitar thats slightly different is cool too. I`m pretty happy for the $600.oo it cost me.,,but those freakin Historys they had...can`t seem to stop thinking about em.

Doesn't look like a neck through, probably ends before the pickup cavity, contoured heal is for better upper fret access, i've seen these on a few different LP clones... :wink:

Mick

I`m not sure what it is. I`ll see if the company can offer any insight. I too have seen that neck joint on other MIJs, History uses something like it that they call a heel less deep joint. The neck shape is different from any other Les Paul type I own, still thinking... custom made.
Think I`m going to sell a couple of mine and get one of the Historys they have...saw a real nice black Les Paul standard at the same shop for about $1000.oo...but the necks on the Historys was fatter, I like fat necks...and the workmanship was excellent, flawless.

so much for that idea...they have this on their site...guess it`ll just have to remain a mystery.

(No reply will be provided for used and old products information.)

leadguitar_323 said:
How does it play and sound ?? Thats all i'd be interested in, if its all good then its all good... :)

Mick
of course those are priorities for me as well but since I can`t I.D. the guitar from the data I have, I was wondering if anybody else had ever seen one like it. Evidently not.

Back