Hondo II

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereohigh

Reaction score
Hondo II,is this a japanese guitar ? Is it a glued in set net or Bolt on,Does it have these DiMarzio pickups, and how much are the guitars worth ?, any history would be very useful, thanks

Pete

I bought a Hondo 11 Les Paul brand new about 25 years ago when I first started playing. It was pretty awful, microphonic single coils under the covers, made of plywood, bolt on neck. Firewood with strings by todays standards and worth about the same in my opinion.

But there are also some nice Hondo's, some of them made by Tokai. For example the Hondo Professional strats which have all the tokai codes we are used to see. As far as I know Tokai also made other models for Hondo.

There are also a lot of low end Hondo's that are crap. But then on the other hand there are the Mark Erlewine designed models like the Chiquita, Lazer and Automatic and they were really nice. I used to own a Lazer which was an excellent guitar, I really regret selling it.

Mike

Did any of the "High end" Hondo guitars get sold in the UK or Europe ? I can't recall ever seeing anything ?

hi,

i found an interesting hondoII... seem to be mahogany, set neck, dimarzio pups...

250 ?, wat do you think ? bargain or not ?

49352519_1-hondo-ii-artist-model.jpg

49352519_2-hondo-ii-artist-model.jpg

49352519_4-hondo-ii-artist-model.jpg

hi,

yeah i know... but i'm not that close to the seller place... and i'd like to collect infos before moving... you know...

most of hondo are crappy... but it seems that some of'em are ok... set neck and dimarzio are good clues but i'm looking for confirmation...

If my memory serves me right most Hondo's were absolute crap with the odd ok-ish one.
The Dimarzio P'ups were designed (possibly under licence?) for Hondo and werent a patch on proper Dimarzio's.

yeah... in fact i don't trust those hondo... even if it look great (set neck and so on...)

Some of the strat style HondoII were ok....but the Australian market was flooded with this brand all through the late '70's and early to mid '80's and every one i've seen or played was crap on a stick 8)

Latest posts

Back