Springy becomes Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I always assumed it was something to do with the often mis-quoted "lawsuits" in the early 80s - perhaps Fender objected to the name?

Now I've said that, I'm sure someone will come along and shoot my theory down! :wink:

Mike

It does have to do with the lawsuit stuff. In additon to the spaghetti style 7okai logo which looks just like Fender from a distance, Springy Sound has 12 letters in it - as does Stratocaster. When viewed from a distance, it too looks like the same shape and amount of space that Stratocaster occupies.

Not just from a distance - even close up the similarity is remarkable.

133_3355.jpg

133_3362.jpg

Two beauties from the 80s - from opposite sides of the Pacific.

Ah, the number of letters eh. Sounds a little churlish.

Looks like a fair bit of pencil lead in that Fender nut. :)

andyscott said:
Looks like a fair bit of pencil lead in that Fender nut. :)

Yeah I reckon graphite is the best way to keep the strings running smoothly through the nut. That's my 86, semi-retired now. I don't want to have to replace the nut and re-fret it, but i would have to if I carried on using it all the time. That's where the Springy comes in... :p

marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:

Should I be offended by that comment? Not sure what you mean. That's a pretty well known fact.

No, no! I was only meaning it seems a little churlish of Fender to object to the number of letters used in the Tokai name. :)

Thanks for your kind comments guys. It's surprising that the Tokai's colour hasn't aged more as it's 6 years older than the Fender. They are both rare, and gorgeous, but the Fender is more rare and more gorgeous!

Nice to see no anti-American bias here!

While we're on the subject of decals, we all know that the Springy was a blatant copy of the spaghetti logo Fender, but I reckon that the Goldstar decal was a fairly close copy of Fender's "transition" logo, used from late 64 to around 67. Since a rosewood board Goldstar is a 64 copy, that seems fair enough. What do you think?

133_3383.jpg

Not as blatant as the Springy, but still fairly close, I reckon. The Fender is a CS 65 NOS, which will be up for sale soon. Great sound, but the neck's a touch too big for me. And I need to raise some cash!

andyscott said:
marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:

Should I be offended by that comment? Not sure what you mean. That's a pretty well known fact.

No, no! I was only meaning it seems a little churlish of Fender to object to the number of letters used in the Tokai name. :)

Thanks mate.....never heard the term "churlish" before. The dictionary defines it as boorish or rude or vulgar.

I had a '84-87 made Fender Japan ST-55 in 3TS CBS replica and owned and still own one SS-36 (1979 made) CBS replica also. I prefer SS-36, more comfortable guitar to me,very easy to play, and more "live".

Nice guitars you show both,it?s curious how clearly you can see a slight diiferent 7 headstock shape in the pics. I like both without playing to judge.

marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:
marcusnieman said:
andyscott said:

Thanks mate.....never heard the term "churlish" before. The dictionary defines it as boorish or rude or vulgar.

Is that so? I've been using it for decades as "petty", lol. Actually I got it from an artist manager who, when the offer of glass of wine was made, always said "It would be churlish not to".;)

My little pc programme, WordWeb offers rude and boorish as a definition, with ill-natured or ungracious as alternatives. I agree that it's usually used in the way Andy described. Maybe it's a very English word?

stratman323 said:
While we're on the subject of decals, we all know that the Springy was a blatant copy of the spaghetti logo Fender, but I reckon that the Goldstar decal was a fairly close copy of Fender's "transition" logo, used from late 64 to around 67. Since a rosewood board Goldstar is a 64 copy, that seems fair enough. What do you think?

Not as blatant as the Springy, but still fairly close, I reckon.
That's what I've always thought too, it's just not as obvious as the "7okai" logo.

It's interesting that on your first pic, it's very hard to see the difference between the logos at a first glance. Very nice guitars, btw!

Latest posts

Back