strap locks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paladin2019 said:
I do, however, own a fender lite ash tele with extra large strap buttons and I have felt no need to replace them with straplocks because they are almost as secure. How's that for solving a problem for free? :wink:

I agree. Why are large strap buttons not more common? I have some on an old RG and they are great! No strap has ever come off it.

Does anyone know where you can get oversized strap buttons online? I have searched and can't find them anywhere.

Glamrockmegastar said:
I agree. Why are large strap buttons not more common?

Because they make it much more difficult to remove the strap - an accusation wrongly thrown at the humble Grolsch washer. :lol:

Schaller straplocks on every guitar I will ever own... I like to be sure!
The 'noisy' sideeffect can be easily sorted with a little piece of cloth.

I'm a strap lock fine, then again the grolsh top solution works well for our other guitarist.
I've dropped guitars on stage a couple of times and it's not damage to the guitar which is the problem but looking a prat on stage.
I find that a a bit of PTFE tape stops the screws coming lose.

I bought a set after an incident with a guitar hitting the stage floor. That was the only set I can recall actually paying for, more than 10 years ago. All the others that I have were throw-ins at the time of purchase of a guitar. Things like straps and strap locks are not too much to ask for when buying a guitar, after all a decent strap and the locks only retail for about $20.

About the strap locks causing button screws to come loose; I can't say I've ever noticed anything like that in the 10+ years I've been using them. I check them for tightness as regular maintenence, and they are always snug. Noise? Once the weight of the guitar is on them I hear no noise from them. While putting the guitar on or taking it off, sure they rattle some, but to me that just says "don't worry, I won't fall off" LOL!

I won't go without.

SS

imlikeajungle said:
Schaller straplocks on every guitar I will ever own...
Same here.
... almost, that is.
Schaller straplocks on every strap I will ever own, on the rest of my guitars I have cheap Schaller straplock compatible buttons, a few cents a piece including slightly oversized screw and felt washer.
http://www.goeldo.de/artikel/detail.php?artnr=EP13C
come in nickel, black or gold and are available elsewhere, too.
I don't need a dedicated strap for every guitar I own, but I definitely need the convenience and security on stage.
To each his own, ymmv.
Cheers,
stumble

Btw, on many Fenders they are stock nowadays

Maybe I'm missing something here.

If the straplocks come loose because the screws are different from the original ones supplied with the guitar, then why not reuse the original guitar screws with the straplocks or go to a hardware store and buy two longer ones with the same thread as the originals?

I am considering putting straplocks on my LS-150, and would feel better knowing that they are not going to cause more problems than they solve.

John.

You can buy swing top beer bottle washers without the beer if you're inclined to save you liver.

This place does them:

http://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/grolsch-type-spare-washer-p-180.html?ref=6

I love the name of the website too :p

It's not that. The bit of metal that is attached to the strap rattles around on the button - these two items are not designed to be a tight fit. It's the rattling around that transmits itself to the strap button & its screw, & can cause the screw to work loose. The softer the body wood, the worse the problem is - for example it tends to be worse on a basswood body than an ash body, due to the softer wood.

Straploks are simply a bad engineering principle - far too complicated for the simple job they are supposed to do.

Unless you have one strap for every guitar strapolocks are much better and a good engineering principle IMHO.

Dave

My leather strap seems snug enough not to cause any problems, so much so that it's bloody difficult to put the thing on and take it off the guitar.

The strap button would have to come off for any harm to be done, so I've never bothered with strap locks. I did have a Dunlop plastic strap lock soemwhere but never felt the need to use it and have no idea where it is now. The beer washer idea appeals to me though (mainly because I'll have an excuse to drink glorious glorious lager).

It is a stroke of luck that these free washers come with one of the best lagers on the market. If they came with something awful (like Carling Black Label, or the really nasty Fosters :-? ) I guess I wouldn't be quite as keen!

Don't care for Grolsch. IMHO Warsteiner is the thest beer in Europe, without a doubt. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a toggle top. Seven years in the RAF in Germany turned me off Grolsch, and onto some real primo brews like Bitburger, Brinkhoffs, and the REAL Lowenbrau. Sorry for torning this into the lagerregistry.com :wink:

:lol: You beat me to it Marcus. :lol:

To me, one of the biggest differences is between the original Budweiser - Budvar - & the US Budweiser. What a difference.... :eek:

stratman323 said:
:lol: You beat me to it Marcus. :lol:

To me, one of the biggest differences is between the original Budweiser - Budvar - & the US Budweiser. What a difference.... :eek:

There's no way to compare these - Bud in the US is a light beer.
Dont' have a clue what the export stuff is that you see around.

Back