change name on headstock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

me

Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you make modifications to let your guitar look more to the orginal. As you probably know I got rickenbacker copies and I change the scratchplate and put rickenbacker on the headlogo to let it more look to the original John Lennon rickenbacker (still waiting for the bigsby to come). Are there some of you who also meke change on there guitars to let them more look to a specific model of the originals? (I don't mean changing of the pickups)
By making this changes I will not say that I'm not proud of my tokai's it's just that I got such an adoration of John that I would get my guitar to come as close as possible to his.

I changed the trussrod cover on my LR to a Gibson and the tech who did the setup rounded off the face of the nut but that's about it. Tokai have enough mojo (and resale value) of their own without needing the logo changed IMO. :wink:

Hi all,

Here is my 2 cents worth .... if you are going to do anything to a guitar, think forward to 40 years from now and what they will think of it then. You might destroy the value of a future classic!

When Peter Greene and Clapton and friends started playing the '50's Les Pauls, they could be have for $200. NOw they are over $100,000 - if original.

I have a '59 Strat that someone heavily modified in the 1970's. I have now restored it (I won't go into the gory details) but it is still only worth 25% of what it would be if the guy had just left it alone!

Modifications that are completely reversible, of course, are fine!

If you want to see how the guitar turned out, you can see it here

http://www.hagstromcanada.com/tweedcase/tweedcase.html

It took years to find original parts get it all back together.

Cheers!

Rob

guitars are to be played though, who cares what they might be worth in the future.

Scruffy56 said:
I have a '59 Strat that someone heavily modified in the 1970's. I have now restored it (I won't go into the gory details) but it is still only worth 25% of what it would be if the guy had just left it alone! Rob

Think about this, if they hadn't modified it would you have been able to afford and own it now?

Good point, but actually I could have, as I got in 27 years ago when they were just a little more than a new one!

I traded a Twin reverb for it (and a Black Face Tremolux that served me for years).

I also have a Fender/Squire "JV" series Strat, that were the first Japanese made Fender 50's models. They were Fenders response to the beating they took from Tokai when Tokai had the idea first for re-issues in teh 70's.

I wonder if it was made in the Tokai plant ... hmmmmm???

Cheers!,

Rob

scruff, there was an interesting article in the last Vintage Guitar mag about Fender with a mention of Fender Japan .
Seems when the parent company decided to make the MIJ`s they went to the Fuji Gen Gakki factory in Matsumoto City where they were producing Greco and the Ibanez guitars that got Gibson so upset.
I too own a 1982 Fender Japan JV strat dated 6-19-82 in pencil on the neck butt. Considering they went into production in March of `82 I have a very early model. ut my 1983 strat is killer. US pick-ups... small sticker on the pickguard reads " pick up made in USA " and full size pots and switch. I recently picked up a 1985 version in the same color. Just got a 1989 Esquire that is so cool. I`ll stop here because I have too many to mention, and may have bored you already.
Just want to say I do love my MIJ guitars.

Back