Plain or flame?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Willie Style

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just about to order a new LS 125f or LS 135 Love Rock and I'd like your input:

Flame or plain(maple) top?

I've always been a sucker for a nice flame but I'd assume from the parts and pricing that the 135 is actually a superior guitar. Does anyone have any input to help me decide? If money wasn't an object, I'd just get the 230 but that's not an option with my wedding coming up.

Looking forward to hearing (reading) your thoughts...

BWS

Flame i think they look better catching the light on stage :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190074672667&rd=1&rd=1

Lovely flame top

Hi willie, i think i would take the 135 with the plain top because in my catalogue it says 125f maple top +2piece maple top . i think that means it is a veneer. :D

togps said:
Note: The LS135 is the counterpart to Gibson R8
99,99% same specs. :wink:

Then go for a gibson. Mine is a LS125f and don't mind if specs are 99.99% or 80% Is a gorgeous Les paul with Gibson historic specs and flame top. Veneer, sycamore... if sounds good, it really matter?

Flame but highly one all the way. I love high figured flame like Brockburst '59.
Plain is OK too if the guitar is right,no problem then....
As far as high flamed maple seems to make the price so high it?s time to look after plain tops if money is an issue.Recent Pacifix series are plain tops and I feel them great guitars.

While I think they are as good or possibly even better that most of the offerings from Gibson. The routings, neck tenon, frets, headstock veneer are all not up to Historic spec's, I'm sure there is more if I were to compare side by side.

But I would say Tokai's are great guitars, very well made!

hackenfort said:
While I think they are as good or possibly even better that most of the offerings from Gibson. The routings, neck tenon, frets, headstock veneer are all not up to Historic spec's, I'm sure there is more if I were to compare side by side.
The high-end Tokais, starting from LS135 (nowadays LS150) are on par with the Historics specs. and plays in the same league.
Check out:
http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=42

togps said:
hackenfort said:
The high-end Tokais, starting from LS135 (nowadays LS150) are on par with the Historics specs. and plays in the same league.
Check out:
http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=42

I agree they are great guitars, but they the spec's are off, just look at the routing channels and pickup cavities on the Tokai - they are nothing like the Historic's or any late 50's Les Paul.

I agree they are great playing and sounding guitars. I love them!

Kevin

Hi guys, they don't have the exact shape neck routings but that is just splitting hairs, i have owned both and played both {more gibsons than tokai's} and i'd like to say i have never played a bad MIJ Tokai but i have played plenty of Dull sounding gibbo's right throughout their range , and as far as the normal range of standards well the Tokai's beat them hands down.

Mick

Got to agree with Mick! A guitar isn't about the internal routing, or a holly veneer, it's about sound and playability and with the exception of one or two historics I'd take a Tokai every time!

The new Gibson standards are very ordinary guitars, I've played a lot of them. Every time I go in to my local guitar store if he has a nice looking new one I'll give it a try, and without exception I've been dissapointed.

edit:

Just seen this and I'm very tempted :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Gibson-Les-Paul-Historic-R9-RS-relicd-Timbuckers_W0QQitemZ320235271470QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JohnA said:
Got to agree with Mick! A guitar isn't about the internal routing, or a holly veneer, it's about sound and playability and with the exception of one or two historics I'd take a Tokai every time!

The new Gibson standards are very ordinary guitars, I've played a lot of them. Every time I go in to my local guitar store if he has a nice looking new one I'll give it a try, and without exception I've been dissapointed.

edit:

Just seen this and I'm very tempted :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Gibson-Les-Paul-Historic-R9-RS-relicd-Timbuckers_W0QQitemZ320235271470QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yup....very nice Historic.

stratman323 said:
Very expensive! :-?

I thought it was quite reasonable, but I have lost all perspective on what's cheap and whats expensive, all that matters is what's desirable :wink:

JohnA said:
stratman323 said:
Very expensive! :-?

I thought it was quite reasonable, but I have lost all perspective on what's cheap and whats expensive, all that matters is what's desirable :wink:

I think a new Gibson 59ri is 6000$:D that ebay offer is not bad at all.

Guitar prices are becoming insane. I love Les Pauls but I wouldn't drop 4000-6000$ for a guitar.

Latest posts

Back