Limited Editions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2boogie

Reaction score
Hello to all, what a great site!!!
I have been a fan of Fernandes since 1992 when I first saw a picture of the R2 flametop standard in a competition in Guitar Magazine - so impressed that I ordered one right then. The going price was ?525, I got it for ?400 cash at A1 Music in Preston. I had recently sold my '79 Les Paul Custom silverburst which I didn't really rate after nearly 12 years use. It didn't have a particularly outstanding sound, and no dishing on the the top.
The R2 is still my number one guitar today.
I use it without the pickguard to show the flame top. I have also removed the wings from the trussrod cover plate. Apart from that it is completely original, and sounds as good as it looks.

LPFlame.jpg

59LP3.jpg

LPHead.jpg

My number 2 fav is the '63 replica Strat Limited Edition, pictured here with my Ltd Edition P Bass I guess '63 replica because this is the year Fender introduced the veneer rosewood fingerboard on their Strats. This has been fitted with medium jumbo frets, a period mint green scratchplate, and GFS boutique overwound p/ups - I was after Rory Gallagher tones and they do it! I have fully screened the body cavity and the whole of the rear scratchplate with copper foil, and rewired the p/up selection using the standard components to give me all the normal strat sounds, with the middle tone as a master control on all 3 pups, and the neck pup wired through the remaining tone pot so I can add the neck to the bridge or bridge and middle selections to create a "wide humbucker" that really fattens up the tone. Note the beautiful flame neck.
63SPB1.jpg

LtdEditionHeadstocks.jpg

63Flamemapleneck.jpg

These are the only examples of "Limited Edition" series I have seen, can anyone give any information on these models?

Finally my '57 replica, The Revival. Don't use this one much, it is in mint condition, hoping to keep it that way. This had a copper anodised scratchplate when I bought it, and Fender Texas Specials p/ups. I have replaced it with genuine Fender vintage series reissue single ply white scratchplate, copper shielded and rewired it same as my '63, and fitted a Fender vintage steel trem block and bridge, and a hipshot tremsetter - although it still snapped the high E string last week - that I haven't got round to replacing yet.

TheRevival57.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Very much enjoyed reading all the posts on this forum.
Keep up the good work!
Regards to all.
Baz.

Lovely guitars!!!

I'm a recent Fernandes convert after buying this:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10158

Without doubt the best Strat I've ever owned!

Hello John
Thanks for the reply.
Very unusual body colour, must be rare?
Just had a listen to yours - sounds like P90's on steroids!!!!
So where abouts in Northern England are you?

born2boogie said:
Hello John
Thanks for the reply.
Very unusual body colour, must be rare?
Just had a listen to yours - sounds like P90's on steroids!!!!
So where abouts in Northern England are you?

Yep it's one fat sounding Strat!! Havent seen many, apparently it was from a limited run in 2005.

I'm in Middlesbrough

Real beauties!.

That's a real Blackmoresque Strat (I mean, when I see a guitar like yours I can only think in Ritchie)

A detail:

Looking at your R2 I see the truss cover without the wings. My Fernandes Super Grade, which thanks to the people in this Forum can be identified as a FLG70 from the 90's has the cover with the wings.

I've been told covers like the one in your guitar were used more in the eighties.

As you know a lot of people use this detail as the first thing they look at when they try to identify a Burny/Fernandes, and I think here we have a clear example of why you really need to look at other things apart from the truss cover. I'm pretty sure that if you don't give information about the guitar and just show the photos a lot of people would think your guitar is from the 80's....

Hola mi amigo, y gracias!

Thank you for the compliments.

The Super Grade originally had wings on the truss rod cover but I re-shaped it to look like a genuine Les Paul type.

I bought it new in 1992 so it could be from the same build as yours.

Regards

Baz

Latest posts

Back