1980 Super Real from Ebay.......Super Power?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legma

Reaction score
A friend purchased this guitar off Ebay recently......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=150225091646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

We compared it to my EGF-850 Super Real and it is Very different.I have read most of the available info from previous posts and am still confused about this one.....

It has a chambered body. UD pickups and and a "60's" neck profile, leading me to think it is a Super Power however, it does have a Super Real logo (under light it still looks very original and authentic) and it has frett end binding.

What goes on? Didnt all Super Reals have solid bodies-no chambering. And didnt all Super Powers have NO frett end binding?

8) cant say for sure but could it be an early 1980 transitional period model
which has the specs from both super real era and the previous ?................
i heard that since greco is a brand only with no own factory. so many greco
guitars have strange mixed nonstock unclear specs. these are all from
the fact that greco asked many factories to make their guitars then and
often each factory made whatever imperfect. not exact. close to the specs but
not compeletely ones.........there have been more than few factories involved
with greco back then. fujigen sure wasnt only one at all............
but thats greco and if the gtr is great then it should be ok i think. so if yours
is great for you then all good i guess..............j :)

dosmun said:
I have a 1980 Super Power with Fret Edge binding. So at least some of the Super Powers had this feature.
hi
i got a super real just like this one ,,,,,,, serial 0 52xx but with out fret bindings ,,,,, chamber body ,,,,,,in some think like teaburst not any red in the coulour ,,,, and it says super real on the head like yours .......
all org ... i am sure about that ,,,,,,, a good sounding guitar ,,,, even with the chamber bod? ..... i like the pickups ..... very rock and roll sound ......
:D :D :D

I sold (WHY oh WHY :cry: I'm such a dumba**) a 1981 Greco Super Power Model gold top that had the end bound frets aka fret edge binding

The guy in Hawaii that bought it said his friend compared it to his Gibson R7 gold top, and that the Greco ate the Gibson for lunch 8)

This 1981 gold top had a 2 piece/center seam mahogany back; compare that to my 1980 EGF-1000 Super Real that has a 3 piece back :evil:

I cannot guarantee it BUT I believe that the fingerboard very well may have been Brazilian too :oops: as it looks exactly like the 'boards on my 1980 EGF-850 & my 1980 EGF-1000

One thing that you can be sure of with the older Greco models; nothing is for sure as details can sometimes vary

One very interesting detail that I did notice on this example; there was a very small amount of gold paint that flaked off, just around the tail piece studs, and I swear the paint had the softer plyability of nitro, and not the hardness of poly

Oh yeah, FAAAAT neck too :D

I'm still trying to get my foot back there so, I can kick my own a** for selling that gold top :wink:

Notice the era correct 'closed O' with the earliest version Mint Collection TRC, which could be an add on.........anybodies guess there
GrecoLPheadstock.jpg

Fairly early 1981 serial # indicates the very real possibility of Brazilian fretboard; also indicates a very real possibility that the TRC is not original
GrecoHEADback.jpg

End bound frets aka fret edge binding :) Brazilian ? :evil:
GrecoLPfingerboard.jpg

****, where is my foot?????????????????????

Thanks for the info....

Looks like the only certainties are inconsistencies...

It is a nice guitar. Will check the board for possible Braz rosewood.

I like the sound of the chambered body....bit more "throaty". The neck on this one is not chunky.

Cheers all.

Latest posts

Back