ES-130?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markov

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've never had, or even seen a Tokai before, but I'm looking for a really good semi-hollow guitar with a dark tone, and I've come across the Tokai series, and heard good things. My only concern is the neck. What is the ES-130's neck like? Late 50's, early 60's Gibson neck? I would prefer a 60's Gibson neck if possible. Also, how does the 130 compare to the 120? What's the difference between the two? Also, are both made in Japan, or Korea?

I'd look into this myself, but from what I understand, it's impossible to find Tokais here in the US, they just have to be shipped and you have to hope that you're getting what you want.

Thanks guys.

ES130 is more 60s like than 50s. Definitely thinner than the Les Paul 59 style on the Love Rock Vintage range.

The ES130 and 120 are the same guitar. The model number is linked to the rrp in thousand yen. So goes up over time. An ES130 guitar is likely to be slightly newer if advertised as such. There is also an ES135 which has the shorter pick guard and block inlays.

They are both Japanese. Hope this helps.

How does the neck compare to modern necks like those found on standard Stratocasters and Telecasters? Is it oval shaped?

I'd say it's more rounded C but skinny in terms of the width. It's very hard to comapare to the plethora of neck styles out there...on strats alone.

Don't worry about it being very fat - it isn't.

Just checked the profile on my ES130 vs my LS150 and the ES130 is only slightly smaller. If it is compared to my Gibson 60's Les Paul , the Tokai ES130 still feels massive.

Perhaps I have an extra chunky 130 , but without taking measurments the 130 neck feels the same as a 1959 Les Paul baseball bat neck :-?

My old ES120 also had a really thick neck compared to a Gibson 335 60's neck.

The neck shape on my ES135 is a really fat "C", and the fingerboard has a slight curvature to it.

No idea what era of Gibsons that relates too though!

I think the profiles aren?t all the same at the Tokai es models. My one has a very fat neck. Thicker than the Gibson 50?s neck on ma Les Paul. If its possible try some models. Perhaps you find your neck

Back