Orville's Cheaper in Japan?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplexi

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here! Hey I was wondering; if I wanted to collect Orville By Gibson and Orville guitars, would it be cheaper to collect them over there? I realize the cost of travel is prohibitive but the prices of Nippon guitars seems to be going up steadily. They're priced as high as used American Gibsons here in the U.S.!! Thank you

You can get Orville for very cheap in japan, but Orville by Gibson, it's another story: You must count between 80 000 and 100 000 ? minimum ( depending on the model and condition). Especially if you go to Tokyo, where it's quite expensive. And you won't find so many as they all went abroad.

Purplexi said:
Hi all, new guy here! Hey I was wondering; if I wanted to collect Orville By Gibson and Orville guitars, would it be cheaper to collect them over there? I realize the cost of travel is prohibitive but the prices of Nippon guitars seems to be going up steadily. They're priced as high as used American Gibsons here in the U.S.!! Thank you
Not that long ago, they used to go for a lot less in Japan. I've got a '93 OBG LPR very similar to the one Villager pointed out that I believe I got for about $400 from a pawn shop full of gardening tools in Higashine city (Yamagata, Japan) about 5 or so years ago:

rk%20my%20obg%20tigerflame%2093LPR%20.jpg

Just like showbiz, there's luck, timing, "who-ya-know" and a certain amount research and legwork involved in getting a good OBG for not a lot of $$.

villager said:
well this ObG was bought by the seller for 116000 yen, or under ?600

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r44360230

he is trying to sell it for ?1300....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170202227948&ih=007&category=38086&ssPageName=STORE:pROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

Yes, thank you I saw that listing. It promted some outrage and even a few laughs over at "Harmony Central's" electric guitar forum. I would imagine the price will come down although someone might be foolish enough to pay such a wishful sum. Hopefully not.

Yep, it came down from $2600 to a somewhat more sensible $1900. Still it must seem over the moon to some of you veteran Orville buyers who got in during the under $500 era. A couple of other offers on Ebay this week were more encouraging to new buyer/collectors like myself. One OBG-LPS, a quilt top tobacco burst is bidding fairly low and I also saw a white LP/SG that I did not know Orville ever made. Sorry I don't know how to put up an Ebay link yet but I'm sure most of you guys are checking those listings anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-Orville-by-Gibson-Japan-SG-Custom-3-Pickup-RARE_W0QQitemZ290217066496QQihZ019QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Worked like a charm! Awesome LG_323!!

You don't even have to go to Japan. Just buy them from Yahoo Japan like a lot of us do. With the fall of the dollar the market there has somewhat collapsed. I just bought an OBG RI for 40% less than I paid for the same model 4 years ago. I am thrilled.

Back