Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions re: wings/no wings, serial/no serial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there are a lot more questions than answers....mysterious ain`t it?
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duosonic wrote:
I just looked at the other photos in your 'bucket; nice guitar (smile) but it's a later Revival. The early to mid '80s Revivals have completely different routing, etc... here's an '83:

Well the routing on mine looks the same as my 1984 Goldstar ST55:

So, whenever it was made, it looks like a Tokai, which is the point I was making.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things get solved but other things don't. I thought the English based sites were bad with rumours and gossip about Japanese guitars. Things like Ibanez (Hoshino) made just about every strange brand which turns out to be completely wrong with people just making things up. Then I got on some Japanese sites and I thought they might know more but they are just as bad as the English sites. Nowhere on the Japanese web is there any mention of a Cor-Tek or Tokai made Greco for instance. I've come to the conclusion that most Japanese people know less about Japanese guitars than people living outside of Japan. The best information comes from Americans or European people that worked for the Japanese guitar companies at the time but these people are hard to track down and talk to. Also a lot of good information can come from comparing build features between different guitars and then trying to find matches.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Japanstrat, i would beg to differ on that, greco zematis are made by tokai, so there's an association there already, they have also made guitars for other companies as well, as well as outsourcing some of the high end models. My info comes from luthiers within Tokai that have worked for them for a very long time and the info i have gotten so far is spot on. I have also exchanged e-mails with Mr Adachi to confirm some of this and he has been quite forthright. So i trust my sources in Japan 100% I agree that there is a lot of misinformation around but doesn't mean its all crap.......just most of it...

Mick
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess no one at the time had any idea how much interest their guitars would garner all these years later and kept, it seems, very poor records of who was making what. Thing with the web is, somebody says something and baddabing it`s all over the world next day and so many people think it`s true, one reason I think Wikipedia is the one of worst offenders. Maybe we`ll just have to accept the fact that some questions may never be answered. I`m no expert so if a guitar I`m considering sounds good, plays good and feels good...it is good. I don`t obsess about tenons, lacquer or growth rings...I actually prefer playing my guitars than talking about them...no, really. Sites like this help a lot for me because staff I deal with know less about the guitars they sell than I do so I like to go into a shop with at least some idea of what I`m looking at, and theres the language barrier too. Still, it is fun stumbling on to old beauties and I`ve been so lucky so far.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , well said sneaky, and wiki is terrible as far as correct info goes. And i also agree , if it plays well then its a keeper, one of my cheapest guitars is a favorite, so play them all and keep the ones you like, sometimes thats more important than its history,{collectors excluded}...

Mick
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the Japanese guitar BBS forums. I've encountered a lot of wrong info on them. I think the Tokai president has given great info on Fender Japan and Greco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: