Just bought a new Love Rock - which model is it??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't a Tokai with the prefix starting wih an "A" a Korean model? The price is too low for one made in Japan. The new 2003 Tokai Japanese plaintop Les Pauls are called LS75's and should be going for about 699 pounds as per the Wizard web page, which likes to charge list price AT LEAST.

It is a nice guitar but I believe you didn't get an extraordinary deal.
I used a currency converter and 599 pounds is $971. in US dollars. I just purchased from Japan, an LS85Q and my price including shipping, import duty, a case, and all the other things was on $915 delivered. I got it last Friday, 7/25/03. Mine has a true Gibson headstock, and yours appears from the picture to have the altered Gibson headstock. No offense intended, but if you purchased that guitar from a British dealer, you got taken. You could have purchased it directly from Japan and gotten a better model for the same money, or possibly paid less for the same guitar.

It is a beautiful model that you have and I hope that you enjoy playing it, but do some checking up to see how well you really did. I could be wrong about this.

Thanks for the help and info chaps. I did double check the origin of the guitar with the dealer and they gave me both written and verbal assurance that this is a Japanese model.

I am also led to believe that the Japanese models have the two screw truss cover as apposed to the three screws on Korean models and the cavity covers on MIJ's are black rather than cream.

The dealer has a very good track record so lets hope that this guitar is genuine. If its not MIJ it WILL BE GOING BACK.

I'm getting a real good vibe about this guitar....

now where's that delivery boy???

I'll give a full report (serial no. etc.) when the guitar turns up.

I think C4 was referring to tokai prices in the UK generally, but yes he forgot about duty and VAT.

The high price phenomenon is called Rip-Off Britain. :evil: And because it applies to imports we can't go elsewhere to get stuff cheaper. Apparently we're compensated by higher GNP :roll: but it still gratyes when we have to pay in ? what US-ers pay in $.

Thank you one and all for the insightful information! I am glad to have read this as it appeared to me that it was Korean, BUT I am glad it is not Korean. :D
It's always good to keep learning new stuff and I sincerely appreciate you all helping me get it straight.
I had been thinking about getting an LS75 myself for the same reasons you got your plaintop, but if the LS85Q sounds this good with a laminated top, I can imagine how resonant the LS200 and LS320 must sound!

By the way, does anyone know if Peter Mac is an Austrailian Tokai dealer?

Thank you all for being patient with my ignorance of the Tokai line. I am trying to get a handle on it all and everything I learn here from each of you really helps to put more of the puzzle in place for me.
Stephen

C-4 - It's good to kick this stuff around and challenge everyones knowledge here, particularly because the information resources regarding Tokai instruments appear to be both scarce and sometimes slightly ambiguous.

Thanks for your input. 8)

OK so the guitar was delivered within 24 hours of the sale closing on ebay!!

Im still not sure which model I have however it has Made in Japan stamped on the back with a serial number of 0306307. I have to say that the photographs really did not do this guitar justice it really is a stunner! :D

I think that LondonBarry was spot on with his reference to the dealer cutting and pasting the deatails - they did have two other Love Rock variants up for sale at the same time as this one. Given that wen now know it is a 2003 guitar I guess that the model is an LS60 or LS65.

BTW: It sounds pretty good too :wink: I have some seymour duncan pup's hanging around but I wont be dropping them in this guitar - the stock pup's sound great (contrary to other comments I have read).

I'm with you about the pickups! They do sound wonderful. Actually smoother and more ear-pleasant then my Gibson '57 PAFs!

Congrats, looks like a winner! :D

Make sure to put some CTS pots and Orange drops. They will only add to your tone. If you like the stock pickups, wait until you hear with these parts!

Sorry if this is a lame question but what do the orange caps do and how do they contribute to the tone?

Greg, this is the best place I know:
http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com/index.html

Go to Allparts. The more value of the orange drops, more treble cut. Usually you can go with a .022 for the neck and a .033 for the bridge, vintage guys go even less with the .015/.022. I prefer a little more cut, .033 is a good value.

The pot is the 500K Audio Taper, Split Shaft, 3/4" Long shaft, CTS

Best price you can get on the pots, AFAIK.

Hope this helps!

Felipe

Not lame at all. The Orange drop is a good qualityceramic capacitor that works when you roll back the tone of the guitar. It's said it works in a more transparent way.
Better capacitor types are the paper-in-oil ones, that come on LS320. But these are much more expensive, 10 bucks a piece, and are knonw for even better tone quality. With all controls on 10, it does not make any difference. The pots make a huge difference, because some pots labeled 500k can be a s low as 300k, thus it's like putting a blanket on the top of your guitar.

plucker,
the guitar you bought is a nice guitar.
I've been tracking tokai stuff lately and your model i would say
is an ls65 japanese 2003 (which you probably know now).
And for ?410 thats a good deal.For a few quid less you could
have been landed with a crappy korean epiphone.
Dont be put off by the headstock,they used it in 1985 and it was reborn
for the North American market for copyright reasons.Do you really want
it to look exactly like a gibson?
I would leave the stock pickups and adjust your amp to suit, there's nothing that drastically wrong with them.

enjoy.

Back