The (ever lasting) question about upgrades

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudu

Reaction score
So I'm already thinking of pimping my LS75. First thing on my list would be a set of Kluson tuning machines (I already have them on another guitar and I like them a lot).

Next, I was contemplating getting a new bridge and tailpiece. Given the bigger amount of choices, I'd like to ask around, to see which manufacturer/combination would suit the best, with the least hassle and the biggest tone change.

Thank you in advance.

8) yo dudu how r u? so you are trying to make your new tokai better now...

your tokai has gotoh kluson replica tuners already but you wanna switch them to real new korean made kluson replicas right? as far as the looks
of them goes korean klusons are better but gotoh ones are usually so much
better for the performance so unless you really like the kluson replicas no
need to change really i guess. but sure they look cool so understand your
idea..........

your tokai burst has a very good ABR1 bridge copy and tailpiece. both are
made by the company named HOSCO in japan i guess. the bridge has
brass saddles and tailpiece is aluminum like the original gibson parts so
they cant be any better than that. plus those parts are in the metric size
so hard to find the replacement. so for this one you dont need to do nothing
really to make it better either. its already at the best............

if i was you then i would only change the trussrod cover maybe.......
to make it look really like a genuine les paul standard replica..........

good pickin......................................................tokai joe :D

The only other thing I would consider changing are the pickups, the LS75 comes with Gotoh PAF mk II's I think, and while these are good pickups, they aren't the best available in my opinion.

Keep your eyes peeled for some used Seth Lovers or Gibson '57 classics if you want a vintage tone, if you play more modern rock then some others may be better.

Like Joe says the truss rod cover is a nice cheap upgrade that will look heaps better than the nasty Tokai one!

DUDU

Leave it alone for at least a few weeks and just PLAY it!
Its a lovely guitar and DON"T get pulled into this useless modifying frenzy

Been there Done that, 95% of the time the original parts has gone back on!!!

Cheers

hawkeye2u said:
DUDU

Cheers

Good advice :D

hawkeye2u said:
DUDU

Cheers

+1

but pickups would be 1st on my list, ...after a few weeks as hawkeye2 says.....

+2

The Gotoh mkII PAF's are great, toneful pickups, that really capture that PAF-tone. Much better than most other mass manufactured pickups. If you do want to replace them, try and find some hand wound pickups, they really are the best thing you can put in your guitar.

Tuners wise, the standard fitment Gotoh SD-90's are solid, accurate, and lightweight tuners. If you decide to replace them with Grover's/Kluson's or other US made hardware, don't forget that the holes in your headstock may need making bigger to accept the imperial (inches) sized hardware. Gotoh's are metric (mm).

Hi,
I have the LS75Q and the only thing I have changed are the pickups....
Hand wound to your own spec ...You can speak to the guy Allan who owns and makes them ...I wonted a sound like the Gibson 57 plus in the bridge but a bit hotter with Zebra vintage finish and he made me a matching per that are spot on for ?90 and then e-mailed to see if I was happy with them !!!!!!
all I can say is they are a fantastic British pickup that are hand made and at that price WELL !!!!! they are called catswhiskers if you need a link just ask.

cheers
Johnny

Old Goto pickups which reads about 8,3 K are good bridge pickups,I achieve a good vintage Les Paul sound through a Fender tweed Pro replica with bridges input,not my like as neck however.I feel the opposite regarding MK-IIs I like neck pickups but bridge not so.Nice pickups but others are really an improve.
Also I can say caps make a different,just take green regula Tokai cpas out and put Hovlands..let me know then....Hovlands are very transparent and make the guitar sound come. I took out original Goto pickups and caps in a Tokai and replaced by Dr. Vs and Hovlands and guitar came alive,old pickups were making the guitar very bassy and obscure,now it sounds really really good, a different guitar now I have in a good sense....

Johnny-English said:
Hi,
I have the LS75Q and the only thing I have changed are the pickups....
Hand wound to your own spec ...You can speak to the guy Allan who owns and makes them ...I wonted a sound like the Gibson 57 plus in the bridge but a bit hotter with Zebra vintage finish and he made me a matching per that are spot on for ?90 and then e-mailed to see if I was happy with them !!!!!!
all I can say is they are a fantastic British pickup that are hand made and at that price WELL !!!!! they are called catswhiskers if you need a link just ask.

cheers
Johnny

Cool, where did you get your hand wounds from, I'm always interested in pickup options :)

There was a lengthy thread about pots and caps last year:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9184&highlight=pots+caps

Don't know if it's any help - it might be a bit basic, but it helped me a lot at the time.

Mike

The same value Chris,but the difference is unbeliable and I?m very scheptical regarding mods,but I (and a friend with me in the same room) felt it very noticeable.Try it,it?s a 20 euro mod so not so expensive,and you can resell caps and get some money back if you dont like them.
General consensus is this Hovlands are very transperent and let hear the wood(how the guitar really sounds).For myself, PAF style pups are the ticket and these Hovlands caps matched really well them....
I discover I don?t like too much Orange Drops however,I tried them in a new Tokai and make the guitar sounding a bit bright through a tweed Pro,I guess will try Spragues Vitamin Q if I find any at a fair price only(I don?t like to spend much money).....If not, I?m very tempted to put some NOS Bianchi/Phillips mustard caps I have lying aroud.....

TOKAI JOE said:
:roll: so where is dudu anyway lately?........

Heh, sorry. I'm right here. $reallife kept me from reading the forum. But I'm alive and kicking!

Guys, thank you all for your kind answers!

Hi dudu!

Bucharest is a good place to be nowadays. Enjoy it!

There's a lot of advise in this thread. My take is hawkeye2u's: play it for some time.

Don't change the MK2s yet. If you are into the hard side you will install DiM SD at some point anyway. If you are into R/R/B you'll go for the Seths at some point. I also suggest to test other pots and caps before you replace the pups. You can get bumblebees for ? 30.-- on ebay nowadays.

But first of all: do you have a good amp? Never forget that the amp is part of your guitar and yourself.

Cheers! Rup

Thanks everybody, for your kind answers! I wasn't planning on changing the pickups, I like them just the way they are! I have another LP for heavier things, with SDs. I want to keep the Tokai sweet toned.

The only real concern I had were the tuning machines, as it does get out of tune easier than my other LP guitar, which has Klusons. Apart from that I'm very happy with my investment.

Now for the chain I use.. it's nothing fancy, I only play at home, so I have a Tonelab LE from Vox and a Vox Pathfinder amp. I plan to switch to a Valvetronix combo soon. I'm a full time programmer and spending cash on tube equipment right now is simply not justified. I hope to make some space in my timetable in the next few months, so who knows next :)

One more thing, something I really need to say. This has been, by far, the most helpful and the friendliest forum I've ever been on. It's a real pleasure to be here, surrounded by gents. Once again, thank you all!

if you are a good programmer (C#, ABAP4?) I'll put you in touch with my friend in Bucharest.
8)

The Tonelab is a very good start, btw.

Actually I'm a UNIX guy :) This would be me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vladgalu

Thanks anyway :)

Latest posts

Back