Super Edition; dating problems

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pault

Reaction score
Hi,

I've owned one of the excellent Tokai Super Editions for around 12 years. I bought it second-hand and have recently tried to find out about its history. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any mention in the numerous catalogues I've looked at.

I think it must be an '80s model - the model serial number is L26818; I found a photo of one on the web... http://www.fret-dancer.com/images/museum/guitars/000091.jpg.

Mine's exactly the same as this - if anyone has any clues as to the date of manufacture, etc, I'd be really grateful to hear from them.

Thanks
[/img]

Suddenly seem to be a lot around! I've got one, and so has jonboy. (See thread about Super Edition and coil splitter). Neither of us have managed to get any info either.

The Fret Dancer website, from which you got the photo, claims it's 1970s, but I thought that the headstock logo was from 84/85. I bought mine somewhere around 88/89, believing it to be new, although I'm surprised that such a great guitar would have sat around for so long. However, given that I got it for about ?150, which was well below half price (they were having a sale) it's possible it had been sitting around for a few years with no takers. It was a small shop.

Odd...

According to www.fret-dancer.com, this is Paul Brett's favourite electric guitar (I can understand that!). He says that he used it on his Interlife LP, which came out in 1978, but from what I've gathered from this site and the Tokai registry, the logo on the headstok on mine (and Jonboy's) is from around '84/85.

It's difficult to see the logo from Paul Brett's - the picture isn't very high res. However, it looks like his has a toggle switch where my overdrive control is so maybe his is rather older and different spec.

I'm confused! Any of you experts got any ideas?

Back