3980$ for a LS320VF ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you must try one to know what we?re talking about,not easy to express with words....

I found brazilian rosewood more to my taste...it?s subtle but it?s there....
It could also be because the whole guitar is better...Higher end Tokais are brazilian made but have best wood....I?ve been luck to try all ranges and I found the higher specs the better and there is worth going as upscale as possible....

Maybe it's just taste, then it's wrong to use the word "better".
But then as a comparisment, some ultra-hifi nerds can hear a difference between gold high-end main fuses and regular fuses, or silver and copper wire! I wish I had ears like that! :)

bart said:
some ultra-hifi nerds can hear a difference between gold high-end main fuses and regular fuses, or silver and copper wire! I wish I had ears like that! :)

I'm glad I haven't! It means I can enjoy my medium priced Cyrus kit without continually worrying about how much better it could sound if only I had a gold plated wotsit someone in the sound chain.

I like to have a reasonable quality hi-fi, but some of the hi-fi enthusiasts are much, much worse than guitar nuts like us!

Mike

I'm not sure if brazilian rosewood is "better", but it is more historically accurate as that was what was used on real '59 Gibsons. And it's a pretty rare wood from what I understand. Tokai can probably get away with using it on higher end models because their production is so much lower than Gibson. Apparently, Gibson only used brazilian rosewood that can be verified on a few Historic models in 2003. Some argue that they used it on some in earlier years, but there is no verification from Gibson on those. So when you go to buy a Gibson 59 Historic with a verified brazilian rosewood board, be prepared to pay double or more than what a regular R9 would go for because of its rarity.

I don't think I'm sensitive enough to pick up the difference in tone and playability between a brazilian and indian rosewood board. That being said, maybe that is exactly why I like my 320 far better than any historic I've played. Who knows.

My 320 isn't particulary light at 9 lbs., but it is certainly not heavy. But even if I could find one lighter, I doubt if I would replace it. I can get the action about as low as I've ever had on any guitar. The neck, to me anyway, is a perfect size, not too clubby or thin.

Honestly, I can't point to one thing that makes this guitar magical as compared to Gibsons. It's the whole package, it looks right, it feels right, it plays right, it sounds right. It's just the whole package, and it's completely stock. Maybe I just got lucky, but to hear others talk about their 320s, I don't think so. I just think the Tokai luthiers that were building these guitars were in a groove. Maybe they still are, I haven't had the pleasure of playing a 380. Every time I see a 320 for sale, though, I think hard about buying (this one on ebay as well). But then I feel guilty about hoarding it, if I buy it that denies some other lucky player the pleasure of a 320.

stratman323 said:
bart said:
some ultra-hifi nerds can hear a difference between gold high-end main fuses and regular fuses, or silver and copper wire! I wish I had ears like that! :)

I'm glad I haven't! It means I can enjoy my medium priced Cyrus kit without continually worrying about how much better it could sound if only I had a gold plated wotsit someone in the sound chain.

I like to have a reasonable quality hi-fi, but some of the hi-fi enthusiasts are much, much worse than guitar nuts like us!

Mike

One of my neighbours has a friend, 50 years old, still lives with his mam, and has just spent ?10,000 on a pre-amp for his Hi-Fi!! Apparently his full set-up cost over 50K :eek:

And neatly back on topic:

Brazillian rosewood is much more expensive to buy than indian, also looks a lot prettier. Whether it affects the tone or not is debateable but it's 'better' in the sense it is more 'high-end'

+1 currypowder

Please let's keep in mind that LS320/380 are 59. Jacaranda (brazilian rosewood) is the correct spec.

Rup

JohnA said:
One of my neighbours has a friend, 50 years old, still lives with his mam, and has just spent ?10,000 on a pre-amp for his Hi-Fi!! Apparently his full set-up cost over 50K :eek:

No doubt he's the kind of person who can tell the tiniest difference between this CD player & that CD player, but who knows **** all about music.

:lol:

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:

No doubt he's the kind of person who can tell the tiniest difference between this CD player & that CD player, but who knows (*&) all about music.

:lol:

As long as he's happy :D

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
As long as he's happy :D

Happy? He should be bloody delirious for ?50k!

I'm quite happy with my 50's tube radio also that I have in my workroom :)

Btw, can someone please test the difference between rose and other, I guess the only way is to change between the two in the same guitar. :wink:

currypowder said:
I'm not sure if brazilian rosewood is "better", but it is more historically accurate as that was what was used on real '59 Gibsons. And it's a pretty rare wood from what I understand. Tokai can probably get away with using it on higher end models because their production is so much lower than Gibson. Apparently, Gibson only used brazilian rosewood that can be verified on a few Historic models in 2003. Some argue that they used it on some in earlier years, but there is no verification from Gibson on those. So when you go to buy a Gibson 59 Historic with a verified brazilian rosewood board, be prepared to pay double or more than what a regular R9 would go for because of its rarity.

I don't think I'm sensitive enough to pick up the difference in tone and playability between a brazilian and indian rosewood board. That being said, maybe that is exactly why I like my 320 far better than any historic I've played. Who knows.

My 320 isn't particulary light at 9 lbs., but it is certainly not heavy. But even if I could find one lighter, I doubt if I would replace it. I can get the action about as low as I've ever had on any guitar. The neck, to me anyway, is a perfect size, not too clubby or thin.

Honestly, I can't point to one thing that makes this guitar magical as compared to Gibsons. It's the whole package, it looks right, it feels right, it plays right, it sounds right. It's just the whole package, and it's completely stock. Maybe I just got lucky, but to hear others talk about their 320s, I don't think so. I just think the Tokai luthiers that were building these guitars were in a groove. Maybe they still are, I haven't had the pleasure of playing a 380. Every time I see a 320 for sale, though, I think hard about buying (this one on ebay as well). But then I feel guilty about hoarding it, if I buy it that denies some other lucky player the pleasure of a 320.

Thanks for all the info, currypowder :D

I have a small transistor radio with Brazillian Rosewood knobs.

I have the best of both worlds. Lo-Fi with good knob control

rgrafend said:
TOP  会社概要  東海楽器の歴史  SEB(sound effect body)  製品紹介  求人情報  問い合わせ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
東海楽器製造株式会社
?2006 TOKAI GAKKI All right reserved.
VF
BODY : AAAA Flame Maple Top
Honduras Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK : Honduras Mahogany One Piece
Set-Neck Deep Joint
Head Angle 18?
FINGERBOARD : Jacaranda
RADIUS : 300R
FRETS : 22F ♯213
SCALE : 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE : HLS-VB(Brass Saddle)Bridge
HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
TUNERS : Gotoh SD90-SL
NUT(width) : Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY : Dish(Amber Cell)
PICKUPS : J.M.Rolph?2
CONTROLS : 2V.,2T.,
3way Toggle SW
POT : CTS(Long Shaft)
SWITCH : Switchcraft
CONDENSER : Bumblebee
JACKS : Switchcraft
FINISH : All Lacquer
COLOR : CS,VF

Price : 399,000 yen(Include Tax)
With Hard Shell Case
Limited Edition
SEB PREMIUM VINTAGE STANDARD BASS ACOUSTIC Chromaharp Pianica ACCESSORIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard to believe a LS-320 having a SEB body; just doesn't seem right for a guitar so expensive to have a bazillion little pieces of wood hiding inside of what looks like a 1 piece body..........WTF is up with that?????????............

Hi Rich, it hasn't got the seb body, and in the description it tells you.. :wink:
Quote: "one piece honduras mahogany back" All 320,380, guitars have these specs...no SEB bodies in the high end ones.... :)

Mick

PS , what site was that??

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Rich, it hasn't got the seb body, and in the description it tells you.. :wink:
Quote: "one piece honduras mahogany back" All 320,380, guitars have these specs...no SEB bodies in the high end ones.... :)

Mick

PS , what site was that??

don't know where it came from but someone posted it to this thread so, I assumed the spec was applicable to the 320.............but..............

so this is the guitar in question; what year does the serial number denote, 2000? (00)04117
Koiz320serial.jpg

Back