1978 Reborn Les Paul value? see pics...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be worth watching this one to see how much interest, or ask Villager for his opinion: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230223792590&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Agree with mijvintage though, try to keep her if you can. I doubt you will ever find a better guitar ! Ive sold & regretted too many !! :( Ive bought back at least 3 over the years that I have "missed", how sad am I ?

Nice guitar.Non original pickups,someone swaped them (must have original GOTO no covers pickups), but it?s ususal changing them in fact I guess people buy old Goto pickups to put on Reborns again to increase value??However I?d recomend putting them out to show real guitar potential,I feel this Goto pickups do not show up the wood....

A price for this? My mate got a similar one for 600 euro original case included if I recall well....Had some original parts changed however...
I don?t understand those high prices Reborns are comanding, but it?s offer and demand rule....

If you keep the guitar,let the printed board circuit but change caps for some high quality ones....Let me know if you want to sell it then....

These Reborns are great working musician guitars....

Thanks to everyone for all the input...I really appreciate it....

luis, the pups are original...the person I bought the guitar from was the original buyer and only swapped the tuners out plus to me the pickup solder joints also look untouched.

Please check out this catalog showing the LS60 with covered pickups.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/78cat_p8.jpg

tok13.jpg

Tried to show the Birdseye...also, that's the camera tripod reflection..

tok14.jpg

Sorry but pickups are not original Goto they seem more similar to '81 and later Tokai '57 pickups but no stick shown however........If someone told this to you, then he has no idea about Tokai.I?m telling this because LS-60 from my friend had an all original brass plated back Goto neck pickup.....and all Reborns LS-50,60 and 80 had this GOTO pickups I don?t like because they are not like PAFS regarding builsdng,no braided leads and hot readings....

luis....not trying to argue here but is there any chance your friends guitar was modded?.....everything I see points to the pickups being original to the guitar...here's the 1978 Tokai Catalog showing the LS60 BS with covered pickups, grey pickup wires in the control cavity...plus my solder joints are all uniform looking......anyway, the pups sound great.

tok15.jpg

Also, here's another '78 LS60 I just found online...scroll thru his pics...his pickups/wiring/solder joints appear to be like mine but had stamps on them at one time.

http://imageevent.com/nu2uguitars/1978tokailprebornls60mij?p=8&b=-1&m=16&c=3&w=4&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=4

The back of trhe pickup you show is not from a Goto and I do know Reborns had Goto pickups with only four poles on the back and not like PAFS...I have seen this kind of constuction in Haussel pickups nowadays....

However I don?t feel important pickups being original as far as tuners aren?t and this is not a collectable Tokai but a great working instrument....

Just keep the guitar yourself and don?t sell it!

Some original double ring tuners & some Gotos and that would be very collectable, it appears to be in amazing condition!

The tuners & pickups wouldnt be that hard to come by.

That is a very nice guitar. I have the same model, year and colour. The pickups in mine had been changed to Dimarzio double cream. A different look and a different sound.

I have some Gotoh pickups for an LS50 that I also have, in fact I bought them some years ago and later bought the guitar that they came from.

Here is a pic of what should be in them, as Luis described...

IMG_4608.jpg

You are a lucky man, that is a beautiful Tokai.

My serial number is 8001671, so they may have been made very close to each other, possibly the same batch. Mine is a keeper.

stratmoto, thanks for the visual...I do see the difference...maybe I will try to locate a pair before I sell the guitar :(

I have a 1978 LS-60 too that somebody put Duncans into and added 3 pull up pots...no longer a collectors item but it will never be for sale. When I`m too old to play it I`ll give it to my nephew. It`s a great sounding guitar...and bet it weighs 12 pounds. Got it for $200.oo a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back