Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we keep him? Huh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very good technical reasons as to why modelling amps don't cut the mustard, most to do with the complexity of the transfer function of an amp (the whole thing cab included).

Modelling on that scale is really hard so the designers make big compromises so don't expect a true to life model for a long time.

However technical reasons don't mean a thing the real test is your ears. When transistor amps came out the designers could point to all the technical specs and prove that they out performed valve in every department.

Except that they didn't in the key one - tone.

So trust your ears first!

I recently heard demo CD of the vari-axe models versus the real deals, it wasn't even close. The test was carried out by Guitarist magazine and seemed to be a fair attempt at a like for like comparison.

It is true that the vari-axe had 'characteristics' of the guitars it modelled but the out and out tone was poor on all comparisons.

This is a concern because like bad old synths and effects once the shine has worn off the tone becomes instantly recogniseable and annoying.

I think line6 have rushed to get the vari-axe out in order to be the first and grab the headlines, consequently the quality is down and you can hear it.

GB
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we back to that subjective tone issue then?

Oye Barry! my old Dominators are first class kick ass screamers so not so much of the

Actually I will mail you a pic of a WEM in a box that I'm having trouble identifying. It's a 15 watter but not sure which one. Perhaps you may be able to help? Oh and it too is a screamer!!
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, now your trying to back out of it.

Pic on its way.
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone is subjective ?? I don't know is it?

Is EVH's tone subjective ? I don't think so, I think most guitarists can recognise good tone and as such the difference between good and bad tone it is quantifiable. The fact that the tone is very complex and not easy to recreate is why we have the problems not because it is subjective.

Which brings me to an interesting thought (well for me anyway - anorak ) does anyone think that using these new modelling techniques a person will be able to forge their own identity and tone in the way that EVH or SRV have?

Since modelling is purely backwards looking how do we use this stuff to go forwards?

GB
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye

and there's also the inverse which is that most programmers aren't musicians. How do you tell someone who can't hear the subtleties about good tone?

One of my favourite tones that I've never head modelled is Paul kossof's amp wound up so much that although clean the cab resonates with his vibrato - pure tonal heaven.

anorak zipped up and fully functional

GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: