Goldstar identification needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
What model would this be?

Goldstar '54 , pretty sure it's nitro, V neck 2-piece centre seamed alder body, 4 digit S/N, 'U' Series pickups

The U pickups are a puzzler??? Acording to the registry:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

the '54 models (V neck & round string tree) started at an ST80, also just checked and it's a steel trem block, don't know if that's a help?

They all appear to be, haven't checked the jack socket so I suppose it could have had a whole new pickguard dropped in.

Hi John,
Is it similar to this?

pg16.jpg

This is a TST-80 according to this article--round string guide, V-shape neck, steel tremelo block, and--what do you know--laquer (nitro) finish (says so in top paragraph)! Do your pickups have little orangy-yellow rubber "pickup cushions" instead of springs between the pickup screws and the pickup under the scratchplate?--I'm pretty sure the top paragraph says this model has those too, as some Springys with E pickups do. If they're not there I'm not sure it proves anything really as these do deteriorate over time and crumble, and could have been replaced with standard springs.

This page doesn't say anything about pickup model, but I've never seen or heard of a Goldstar with E pickups. Elsewhere in this article, there is reference to E pickups being for Springy models (and I am assuming by this NOT for Goldstars). Is there a stamp that says "A" or "B" on the plastic under the scratchplate? If there is and it says "B" chances are your scratchplate is a transplant. However, again, I'm not sure if Goldstars have these quality indicators on their scratchplates. On Springys I'm pretty sure the "A" stamp was put on ST-60s and up.

One way or another, with a V-neck and nitro finish this is almost certainly a TST-80. I'm a big fan of the "U" stamp pickups--I find them a little mellower sounding than the "E" stamped ones. Any photos? How is it to play?

Chris
________
Medical Marijuana

Nitro finish on a Goldie? I thought we had established on here that the only Strat copies with nitro were the Springys ST80 and upwards - never on Goldies?

Or have I got that wrong? :eek:

Mike

Top paragraph under the title, second line going into the third line it clearly says in katakana: La-Ka Fi-Ni-Shu. Laquer is the term that Tokai still uses to call their nitrocellulose finishes. It would say Po-Li for poly, and it doesn't. No saying of course that this article is the gospel truth, but being in a Japanese magazine from Japan I'd tend to believe it. :D
Chris
________
Herbalaire review

Thanks cheshirecatsmile! Definetely a V neck & nitro but regular springs on the pickup screws & no lettering on the scratchplate. Just noticed the pickups have dome pencil marks on them 'i' 'ii' & 'iii' so it looks like they have been marked up when taken from another guitar, so probably not original.

How does it play? I'll tell you when I put it back together :D

Cheers

This one looks identical to my Goldstar, which is from 1984 and I believe an ST-80. Mine has the E stamped pickups and all the soldering looks original. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between nitro or poly. It has the rubber "cushions" as well. Serial number 1991.

cheshirecatsmile said:
Hi John,
Is it similar to this?

pg16.jpg

This is a TST-80 according to this article--round string guide, V-shape neck, steel tremelo block, and--what do you know--laquer (nitro) finish (says so in top paragraph)! Do your pickups have little orangy-yellow rubber "pickup cushions" instead of springs between the pickup screws and the pickup under the scratchplate?--I'm pretty sure the top paragraph says this model has those too, as some Springys with E pickups do. If they're not there I'm not sure it proves anything really as these do deteriorate over time and crumble, and could have been replaced with standard springs.

This page doesn't say anything about pickup model, but I've never seen or heard of a Goldstar with E pickups. Elsewhere in this article, there is reference to E pickups being for Springy models (and I am assuming by this NOT for Goldstars). Is there a stamp that says "A" or "B" on the plastic under the scratchplate? If there is and it says "B" chances are your scratchplate is a transplant. However, again, I'm not sure if Goldstars have these quality indicators on their scratchplates. On Springys I'm pretty sure the "A" stamp was put on ST-60s and up.

One way or another, with a V-neck and nitro finish this is almost certainly a TST-80. I'm a big fan of the "U" stamp pickups--I find them a little mellower sounding than the "E" stamped ones. Any photos? How is it to play?

Chris

Mine has the E stamped pickups

Interesting.... again the orthodox opinion seems to be that Goldstars don't have E pickups. Maybe it's just most Goldstars that don't! It probably wouldn't be too hard to replace an entire pickup assembly though--are you the original owner of this?

Also, can you tell what the neck profile is like (V, C/U)? Your serial is correct for this model.

I've never done it before but apparently the test for nitro finish is to take a Q-tip worth of acetone (you can get this at any decent hardware store), and CAREFULLY put a drop somewhere like the pickup cavity where you won't see, in case it does eat away at the finish. From what others have posted on here, old nitro may react very slowly or not much at all if it's cured hard, more quickly and obviously if it's still soft. You may have to wait a bit to get a reaction. Poly won't react to the acetone. If you search on the forum you'll find much better instructions previously posted. Obviously, you don't want to drip acetone down the front of your guitar unless you're planning to refinish it!

Are there any more like these to suddenly come out of the woodwork? :D

Chris
________
Weed

cheshirecatsmile said:
Mine has the E stamped pickups

Interesting.... again the orthodox opinion seems to be that Goldstars don't have E pickups. Maybe it's just most Goldstars that don't! It probably wouldn't be too hard to replace an entire pickup assembly though--are you the original owner of this?

Also, can you tell what the neck profile is like (V, C/U)? Your serial is correct for this model.

I've never done it before but apparently the test for nitro finish is to take a Q-tip worth of acetone (you can get this at any decent hardware store), and CAREFULLY put a drop somewhere like the pickup cavity where you won't see, in case it does eat away at the finish. From what others have posted on here, old nitro may react very slowly or not much at all if it's cured hard, more quickly and obviously if it's still soft. You may have to wait a bit to get a reaction. Poly won't react to the acetone. If you search on the forum you'll find much better instructions previously posted. Obviously, you don't want to drip acetone down the front of your guitar unless you're planning to refinish it!

Are there any more like these to suddenly come out of the woodwork? :D

Chris

I'm not the original owner. I got it 2 years ago and it had been sitting in a local (Toronto) stores stock for a few years before I got it. Perhaps Tokai cleared out the last of the stock of E's on the early GoldStars and when they ran out they switched (just a theory). Then again whoever had it before me had it refretted with jumbos.

I'll try out the acetone test out of curiosity because it doesn't feel like either my nitro Fender 62 P-Bass or Gibson 61 SG or my poly-coated Korean Gretsch. I bought the guitar well played (many dings) and I like a beatup instrument, so i definitely don't mind losing some paint in a cavity.

The neck is a soft V. Very much like some of the Clapton signature guitars.

I can't tell how many pieces the body is. From the front in all lights, it looks like a one piece. From the back, it looks like it might be two or three, going by how of the grain patterns are (paint is very slightly sinking into the wood in the back). It could also be a one piece that has grain that gets very straight and tight in the middle. No matter what, it is not a center seam two piece.

tokai859.jpg

Just noticed this in the catalogue section of the Forum (1985 cat). Apparently TST-80s came in a few different colours, and did have Dimarzio VS-1 pickups aka "E" stamp pickups. Does anyone know if the "VII" pickups are the same model?

Thanks!
Chris
________
Og kush marijuana strain

Hi Chris!

That's actually a VERY good question. The VII pups on the GSs sound very close to the E-stamped DiMs on the Springys. However, their ouput is slightly lower.

Playwise you will not hear the delta, but you can measure it.

I have some 10 Goldstars now and most of them come close to Springys. The real issue is the headstock; most of mine have the UK thingy, which just doesn't fit.I just have 4 with the 62 HS. Buildwise the UK versions are even.

Rup

rgrafend said:
I have some 10 Goldstars now

Jesus Rup, do you have to outdo the rest of us on Goldies too? :evil:

What's this "UK thingy" you're talking about?

Hi Mike!

I am talking about the modified headstock ("UK thingy"). Don't worry I'll sell most of my GSs and Springys soon. Demand is picking up.
8)

Cheers! Rup

What model would this be?

Goldstar '54 , pretty sure it's nitro, V neck 2-piece centre seamed alder body, 4 digit S/N, 'U' Series pickups

Hey John,
Look at the TST-60 here:
tokai86_2.jpg

If you can read the text (hard to see but legible on a big monitor), this matches your specs--'54 model non-Dimarzio pickups with a V neck (maple too). Doesn't say about finish, but the rest makes sense...I would be extra careful about calling this a TST-80!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Goldstar-TST80-Strat-like-springy-sound_W0QQitemZ120222925784QQihZ002QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris
________
CX650T

Latest posts

Back