1980 EGF-850 Fingerboard question?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
Brazilian or Indian?

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1070
EGF850: Mahogany one layer body, Maple two piece top, Red Sunburst finish, Mahogany one piece neck, Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, PU-2 pickups.

I've read where the 1979 has Brazilian so, did the fingerboard change to Indian rosewood for 1980?

How can one tell the difference?

I have definetely seen a 1980 with Braz board.

Mark F posted some pics on a 'how to tell the difference' thread a while ago, Braz has light bits running through it, I'll do a search and try to find the thread

Here's the thread, excellent example by Villager!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8087&highlight=indian+brazillian

villager has a 1979 EGF-850 on his web site that is labeled nitro/braz so, I take it that it has a Brazilian 'board

It doesn't however look anything like the example in the link, from villager's previous post & the description seems somewhat lacking.

From the examples of Brazilian that I have seen, it has a buttery/silky smooth feeling that none Brazilian rose' doesn't have.
The grain on none Brazilian is also more open, as compared to Brazilian, which exhibits a more closed grain, similar to ebony.
Brazilian usually also exhibits a much more exagerated & varied grain pattern & coloration.

So, any of the 'experts' out there know if the EGF-850 models came with both Indian & Brazilian, or was it just Indian?

I don't believe the 'board on my very early 1980 EGF-850 (serial # 0 06**) is Brazilian but who knows?..........

JohnA said:
Can you post some pics of the board on your EGF?

well, these aren't that great because of the flash but they are what they are, usable..........
EGF-850BOARD1.jpg

EGF-850BOARD2.jpg

EGF-850BOARD3.jpg

Brazillian! :D The orange couloured streaks are a giveaway! Rosewood is a lot more same colour all the way through, ebony is almost black

here's three more EG/EGFs, not great pics and not EGF850 but ...

EGF1200 (1981)
DSC00471.jpg

DSC00473.jpg
DSC00000.jpg

EGF1200 (1980)
DSC00485.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

EG900 (1980)
DSC00499.jpg

DSC00500.jpg
DSC00440.jpg

i would say that the board on this EG900 is more like indian rosewood ... it's slightly darker/different :-?

Yes, there was an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood (Jacaranda) in 1980, and was used on the EGF850 in that year, Indian Rosewood was also used, by 1981 for the EGF1200 and above, then by 1982 sadly, no more Brazilian Rosewood.......and no more EGF's either

So the bargain hunt is for a 1980 EGF850 which most likely will have Brazilian Rosewood..............the secrets out :eek:

Mick

MIJvintage said:
villager has a 1979 EGF-850 on his web site that is labeled nitro/braz so, I take it that it has a Brazilian 'board

It doesn't however look anything like the example in the link, from villager's previous post & the description seems somewhat lacking.

From the examples of Brazilian that I have seen, it has a buttery/silky smooth feeling that none Brazilian rose' doesn't have.
The grain on none Brazilian is also more open, as compared to Brazilian, which exhibits a more closed grain, similar to ebony.
Brazilian usually also exhibits a much more exagerated & varied grain pattern & coloration.

So, any of the 'experts' out there know if the EGF-850 models came with both Indian & Brazilian, or was it just Indian?

I don't believe the 'board on my very early 1980 EGF-850 (serial # 0 06**) is Brazilian but who knows?..........

Mark's EGF850 from 1979 is 100% Brazilian Rosewood (Jacaranda), I forget about the 1979 EGF's, the 1979 EGF850 is also a bargain hunt as well.........the 1979 EGF will have either a serial number of K79**** or L79****

Mick

Mickdal said:
Mark's EGF850 from 1979 is 100% Brazilian Rosewood (Jacaranda), I forget about the 1979 EGF's, the 1979 EGF850 is also a bargain hunt as well.........the 1979 EGF will have either a serial number of K79**** or L79****

Mick

So, do you believe the translated text from the JapanAxe site is correct when it states the 1980 EGF-850 has an Indian rose' board, or do you believe that is incorrect?

No, I am only confirming that during 1980 there was an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood, that was also used in the EGF850 as well.......so, would be either Indian rosewood or Brazilian, the bargain is for those who find or have an EGF850 from 1980 with Brazilian rosewood.......such as yours....

Mick

Mickdal said:
No, I am only confirming that during 1980 there was an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood, that was also used in the EGF850 as well.......so, would be either Indian rosewood or Brazilian, the bargain is for those who find or have an EGF850 from 1980 with Brazilian rosewood.......such as yours....

Mick

well, you're the second person here that believes my 1980 EGF-850 is a Brazilian example, which is nice to know :)

It does have some laminate issues but I paid only $675 for it, shipping included, so I suppose I cannot complain

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9178

stratman323 said:
OK, anybody want to tell me what they think this is?

well, i think it's caused by a way too much of heavy string bending on that position, fretboard goes like that :lol:

just kidding ... sorry mate, don't know :-?

Jinx said:
stratman323 said:
OK, anybody want to tell me what they think this is?

well, i think it's caused by a way too much of heavy string bending on that position, fretboard goes like that :lol:

Nice reply!! :lol:

The colours look Brazillian, but tha pattern looks Indian, I'd go with Indian but not 100% certain

Latest posts

Back