Honeyburst Super Real. Only EGF 1200?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 81' super power has a curved belly, but my later 84' mint collections have a flat belly like 50's Les Pauls have. My 54' Les Paul is like that.

villager said:
villager said:
ah ok my error..wrong pics...
No worries!
villager said:
ok from that angle you can see the long tenon well ..so its a superreal neck, with a mint collection neck joint...
So the way to distinguish a Super Real neck from a Mint Collection is to se if it says Super Real on it? :eek:

villager said:
i see no relevance in the amount of carve...they all vary...
Ok!

villager said:
and no fret binding points to mint too...
Some quotes from previous posts:

DNS said:
It's refretted by the way, with signs of lost fret edge bindings.

DNS said:
Which had the aluminum tailpiece?

DNS said:
Oh was there an EG58-100? Thought it was EG59-100 and EG58-120 what ever the difference might be..

DNS said:
What about the alu stoptail?

DNS said:
Which models had the alu stoptail as original equipment?

Hmm what is it about these alu tails.. :wink:

NWOBHM said:
My 81' super power has a curved belly, but my later 84' mint collections have a flat belly like 50's Les Pauls have. My 54' Les Paul is like that.

Oh, I thought the curved belly was an heritage from the guitars with p-90's.
And that it went on some time into the humbucker era.

I know there is a Greco Super Real catalog scan in japanese somewhere with pictures that makes it clear that they are proud of having the round belly and not like the other makers a flat belly.
I see no reason for that if it wasn't correct 50's style?
Here it is:
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~shake/greco/catalogue/mintcollection/9.jpg

alu tail no idea..again easy and normal change tho..

yes 59-100

the neck can be a laft over superreal neck,

but can have a mint collection type tenon....ot a superreal tenon...

What makes it a Super Real neck?

Ok, the aluminium tail piece wasn't standard on any model.

Heres a bit of info that leads me to the conclution that the TS brass bridge and alu tail piece was original equipment on at least EGF1200 and EG58-120:
The brass bridge and the aluminum tail piece of the TS factory make are installed same as EGF-1200 even in this EG58-120. Because is, ピカピカ (the ^^)
Strange that this is not common knowledge.

villager said:
how does that help tell what model? doesn't it mean all greco's from that year/series had a carved top around the PU holes?
You mean curved off course.
I't doesent, it's just a piece of info on the flat vs curved.
If you say that the curved belly has noting to do with Super or Mint nor model number or year of production I have to believe you! You have seen them..
Since I've only seen one Mint from that angle with a comment on the belly going flat I thougt it was an issue. I'm over it, but I think it says for sure that the G*bson was curved..

villager said:
yes i seen 1000's and 850's with alu tails...but never knew if they were replacement or original...

Well, you have made that clear.
What i am saying is that it was original on the 1200/120.
And it should be accompanied by the TS brass bridge.

where does it say it was not installed on the 1000 and 850 originally?

I only see the 1200 and 120 mentioned, and as that is a comparison article, it doesnt mean that the 1000 and 850 did not originally have an alu tailpiece...

and its quite possible that the tailpieces on one or both of the guitars he is talking about may have been swopped...

you just dont know....unless you read it in a catalogue under ''specifications''....

I have owned literally a hundred various EGF's and I would still not state as a fact that any of them came as standard in any year with aluminium tailpieces.....because although I have seen many many tailpieces, I have never actually read from an official greco source which tailpiece was standard on which model..

from that article it seems likely that the EGF-1200 and the EG58-120 did have a factory light tailpiece, ..but it does not in any way actaully prove it...

it throws no light on the 1000 and 850 models ...either alu or non alu......

DNS said:
NWOBHM said:

I know there is a Greco Super Real catalog scan in japanese somewhere with pictures that makes it clear that they are proud of having the round belly and not like the other makers a flat belly.
Here it is:
Are all Super Reals like that? All the 50's Les Pauls I've seen have a less curved belly between the pick-ups. The top curve on my mint collection is closer to my 54' Les Paul.

villager said:
i just had a thought...

if the solder joint on the DRY-1982 is unmolested, then it must be either a 59-100 or a 58-120...

The bridge volume pot is changed (Ibanez Super 58 )

The neck volume pot is original ( Dry 1982 ) but has been tampered with. So nothing on that.

What makes me think that the Dry is original though is that it is in the neck position. The usual change is the neck position only. Especially when the DRY is louder output even though they actually measures the exact same DC resistance (7,23Kohm).
But that is if there were two DRY's original, so..

Well;

All the interchangable parts of a EG58-120.
A 1cm strip ( yes 10mm) on the lower bout makes the back a three piece.
DRY with molested soldering.
Rather plain flames doesn't point in any direction. (seen plainer 1200's though)
A really fat neck. 1958 size no doubt.
Traces of fret edge binding. (cracks in the laquer from trying to save the binding during refret) Opinion by proffessional luthier.
A Super neck makes Mint model line hard to investigate.
If it is top model it has lost its original (15 000yen) case. (why?..)

So if the DRY is original I would call it EG58-120. Maybe EG59-100.
If its not it it may be a EG59-85 with an old oversize Super neck with fret edge binding.
I think I settle for EG58-120 till someone produces a fat neck like this on a EG59-100 model or proof for the three piece back with oversize old Super neck makes it a EG59-85.

It's a keeper so if the model number is wrong the problem is only mine anyway. I'm just picking the most plausable for now. Any protests? :-?

NWOBHM said:
DNS said:
NWOBHM said:

Here it is:
Are all Super Reals like that? All the 50's Les Pauls I've seen have a less curved belly between the pick-ups. The top curve on my mint collection is closer to my 54' Les Paul.

Villager, who has seen some, says in an earlier post that it differs among any year and model. Maybe not right when the catalog was printed.
I have not seen any 50's G*bson so i cant conclude.
I'm pretty sure I've read about the P-90 ->curve connection, and that sometime, dont know when, it went flatter to save the pickup rings from cracking.
But I dont remember where so its worth nothing for now..

villager said:
where does it say it was not installed on the 1000 and 850 originally?

I only see the 1200 and 120 mentioned, and as that is a comparison article, it doesnt mean that the 1000 and 850 did not originally have an alu tailpiece...

and its quite possible that the tailpieces on one or both of the guitars he is talking about may have been swopped...

you just dont know....unless you read it in a catalogue under ''specifications''....

I have owned literally a hundred various EGF's and I would still not state as a fact that any of them came as standard in any year with aluminium tailpieces.....because although I have seen many many tailpieces, I have never actually read from an official greco source which tailpiece was standard on which model..

from that article it seems likely that the EGF-1200 and the EG58-120 did have a factory light tailpiece, ..but it does not in any way actaully prove it...

it throws no light on the 1000 and 850 models ...either alu or non alu......
I'm still not att all talking about the 1000 and 850 models.
And yes the guy might be wrong.
And then again he might still be right..so..
I don't read japanese, and i don't have any specs in any other language to read at all..that's why I'm placing my questions here so far. And I am aware that the catalogs not allways is correct either. But until I learn that a EG58-120 of 1982 year model left the shop without the alu tail piece and a bronze bridge for sure I might as well belive it didn't. Iv'e seen three equipped like this (alu tail) so far and none other.

The lower model ones you have seen with alu tail piece, have they all had the brass bridge as well or only the alu tail piece?
Is the brass bridge also a common feature on every range of model in any year?

Quote DNS..

So if the DRY is original I would call it EG58-120. Maybe EG59-100.
If its not it it may be a EG59-85 with an old oversize Super neck with fret edge binding.
I think I settle for EG58-120 till someone produces a fat neck like this on a EG59-100 model or proof for the three piece back with oversize old Super neck makes it a EG59-85.

yes thats what i would conclude most likely....58-120...

Back