Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Lovely new Revival Strat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: My Lovely new Revival Strat Reply with quote

Just arrived yesterday, courtesy of forum member bluejeannot, for half the price I've just sold my Springysound! The most beautiful looking strat I've ever owned. Sounds and plays every bit as good as it looks, easily on-par with a high-end Tokai. As you can probably tell I'm very happy

I don't know much about the guitar, apparently a recent (2005) model, if anyone can help provide some more details about the model I would be very grateful!

Have a look at the pics, click to view full size, they are well worth a look!

I'm so chuffed with my new 'not thin & weedy' Strat, I thought I should share it with you

'scuse the playing first little lick that came out

Click here to Listen to my New-Fernandes Strat

Last edited by JohnA on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm everything that John said. I played the guitar before Gabe sold it to John, & it was me that bought John's Springy ST80, so (for once!) I know what I'm talking about.

The Fernandes wouldn't suit me - not only is the neck maple (I prefer rosewood), but it's a bit chunkier than I like, but it looks really good, and the quality of the sound (clean through a decent valve amp) was easily as good as my Springy ST60 (E pickups), and very close to my magnificent gold Custom Shop Strat. I believe it has CTS pots & a Vitamin Q cap, so Fernandes didn't skimp when they made it.

Along with Tokai Goldstars, I reckon these Fernandes Strats and Teles have to be amongst the best buys you can get. They're not widely appreciated, so there are some bargains to be had if you keep your eyes open.

Since John has been heard to refer to Strats as "thin & weedy" on this very forum, his conversion is great news! Welcome to the club mate! A good Strat is a wonderful thing to own.

Mike
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Since John has been heard to refer to Strats as "thin & weedy" on this very forum,

Did I say that

It's not going to take the place of my Les Pauls, but it's certainly rekindled my love for Strat's... I feel a few more coming on
sambo27
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice!

I love the finish. Hard to make out exactly in the lighting in the pics. Some kind of off-white?

And wait.... it was you (stratman)!? I lost that auction to you!!!
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit darker than the flash makes it look, like a dark blonde. It appears to be a very well matched 2-piece body, either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I'll do the usual 'pull the guitar to bits' shots in a week ot two, for the time being I'm just going to play it! Through my JTM45 it sounds Killer!
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called blond (or blonde), and it's a proper Fender colour, though it was never very common on Strats. As it has gold hardware, it's known as a Mary Kaye Strat, after the Hawaiian jazz player who was photographed playing one in the late 50s. Blonde is usually only applied over an ash body so that the grain shows through - alder is qute plain in comparison, so it wouldn't look as good.

Which auction do you mean Sam? I bought John's ST80 in a private sale - it wasn't on eBay.
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I would be amazed if that was a photo-flame, and let down too.
sambo27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Must be very well matched if it's a 2-piece!

What's the body? Ash?

stratman323 wrote:

Which auction do you mean Sam? I bought John's ST80 in a private sale - it wasn't on eBay.

Oops.

Now I'm awfully confused. Who was selling the silver tele?

JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
JohnA wrote:
either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I would be amazed if that was a photo-flame, and let down too.

Me too, The book-matching is excellent, and the figuring amazing though almost too good to be true. As I said I'll have a poke about in a week or two and post my findings
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sambo27 wrote:

Now I'm awfully confused. Who was selling the silver tele?

I was selling it, so I didn't out-bid you! It was buying the Springy that caused me to sell the grey Breezy.
sambo27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Silly me.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So chuffed with my new 'not thin & weedy' Strat, I thought I should share it with you

'scuse the playing first little lick that came out

Last edited by JohnA on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA, that is a beautiful Fernandes Strat; looks like a 2 piece light weight ash body
I bet it rings like a BELL
Thanks for sharing those very nice photos & Congrats

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:

Nice. I hope you're actually going to keep this guitar for a decent period of time? Say 2 years minimum? You need to give it a chance to prove it's a keeper, & I'm sure if you sell it you'll regret it.

Tell you what, if you go mad and decide to sell it within 2 years, give me or Gabe first refusal. Then at least you'll know where it is when you realise you've made a mistake.

There are a few Fernades Strats & Teles on eBay UK at the moment, but this one caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200198510639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

If it had a rosewood board, I would be very tempted, so it's a good job it's maple.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this one's a keeper!!! I've promised Gabe 1st refusal if I ever sell it, but I really don't think I will. It's so new it'll take some wearing out but I'll do my best! It's nice to have a new guitar for a change, one where everything works!

I never used to change guitars reguarly, I had my 1st strat for ten years and my LP special for nearly 20, it's just since I got an interest in Japanese guitars, so many to try and not enough money to keep them all. I am starting to aquire some definite 'keepers' though, my LS80 goldtop, my Greco EGF850, and now this Fernandes.

Yes there seems to be a glut of Fernandes strats on ebay UK at the minute, got my eye on one of them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: