• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokai TCH-1 Chorus ? Desperately Seeking...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creature67

Reaction score
I was a fool. But , to my defence, I was young and inexperienced. To make a long story less boring; I had a Tokai TCH-1 and sold it ten years ago. Now I want it back. Not THE one, just ANY TCH-1 will do. Here in the Netherlands, that's a near impossible quest. So I thought I'd try here. And that's not all, either. I'm also looking for a TOD-1 Overdrive. Any tip leading to the capture of the aforementioned items will receive an e-mail expressing my deepest gratitude an everlasting admiration. And a free CD (no one wants to buy them, it seems). Thanks!

I bought some of mine on eBay in Germany and UK, here's a TDL-1 analog delay on German eBay for example. I had one of those in the 80's and regretted selling it, fortunately I found one locally a few years ago. It was very expensive in the 80's (~ 150 Euro).

http://cgi.ebay.de/Tokai-Vintage-Analog-Delay-80er-Jahre_W0QQitemZ150212484805QQihZ005QQcategoryZ22525QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you like the overdrive TOD-1 you should also look for the Metaldriver TMD-1, it not a metal distortion at all, it's an overdrive. You can get exactly the same sound from it as from the TOD-1 but it's more versatile with two tone controls. It's excellent!

All the Tokai Effects:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8517.jpg

Mike

Hi Javelin,

I'm watching that Delay on eBay, but I'm hesitating to make a bid because it's been modified. There's another one on 'offer' for $80 (bu it now option). I'll have to sleep on it. Thanks for the tip about the Metaldriver, I'll keep a look-out. Do you have any experience with the TPH-1 Phaser?

Creature67 said:
Hi Javelin,

I'm watching that Delay on eBay, but I'm hesitating to make a bid because it's been modified. There's another one on 'offer' for $80 (bu it now option). I'll have to sleep on it. Thanks for the tip about the Metaldriver, I'll keep a look-out. Do you have any experience with the TPH-1 Phaser?

Yes, I actually have all the different pedals + a few extra. I think all of them are very good. $80 sounds like a good price for the delay, they are normally more expensive than that.

Mike

Hi Mike, just tracked down a Metal Driver in France for ?100,-. Read some reviews, and from what I've read your tip was dead-on. Thanks a million for that. I'll keep looking out for that Chorus on a daily basis... That should keep me busy for the next couple of weeks. :D

Creature67 said:
Hi Mike, just tracked down a Metal Driver in France for ?100,-. Read some reviews, and from what I've read your tip was dead-on. Thanks a million for that. I'll keep looking out for that Chorus on a daily basis... That should keep me busy for the next couple of weeks. :D

I think ?100 is a bit expensive but I paid that for a second generation Metaldriver with the plastic box. I bought it from Finland. I later found one with the earlier metal box for ~ ?55. Inside they are exactly the same.

Mike

You?re right Mike. Both Tokai pedals series are similar board inside but II series have a serial number starting with 6,so it would mean 1986?.
I was not aware Metaldriver was not a heavy metal style distortion but an overdrive....

luis said:
I was not aware Metaldriver was not a heavy metal style distortion but an overdrive....

The frequency and bright controls makes it much more versatile than for example a TS-808/TS-9 overdrive. You can get more sounds from it and it doesn't cut the low frequencies the same way. It uses the same op-amp (JRC4558D) as the TS pedals. It has been my favourite overdrive for a number of years now.

Mike

Finally found one, less than a kilometer away! Can you believe that? And it cost me Nothing. Or next to nothing; I traded a Morley Classic Wah that I'd used once in a project, plus a Danelectro Rocky Roads that I tried once in a rehearsal two weeks ago and instantly decided it wasn't for me. So that's that. Now for a TMD-1.... Wish me luck! 8)

Good luck.

TDL-1 are expensives and have a short delay for modern music.

I had my TCH-1 series for sale in 60 euro a year ago....very cheap I guess.I ended keeping and started my Tokai pedals collection,lokking for a metaldriver now...

I appreciate I am resurrecting quite a long dead ghost thread, but today I just picked up a almost mint silver TCH-1. Looking for info I registered here and stumbled across this post.

Do you still require one at all?

I compared it to my BOSS CE-2 and it was actually quite close, the best thing however is the ability to simply have a vibrato output. Pure vibrato in a pedal form without buying a VB-2 BOSS, great :D

I`m a big collector of MIJ pedals (living as I do in Japan), glad to find the Tokai forum, they are a quite the mystery so nice to be here!

Hell fuzz and welcome.

I have collected 5 Tokai stompboxes and I am very glad with them (exciter, chorus, delay, distortion and compressor, some are silver plated, others black plated and some hard plastic white cased (II series)). I have been asked to sell several but I resisted until now, really great pedals and tome collectable.

Regards.

Can usually pick up the Japanese pedals for peanuts on Yahoo Japan, I've bought a few now and even with shipping they've been cheaper than eBay. Usually get extras and flip on eBay to cover the costs. Had some decent boss stuff and mxr's cheap only around 3000 yen.

Tmd for a measly 3k

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w122599389

Back