Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bare knuckle pickups.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skybone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MV,

I've got sets of Bare Knuckle Pickups in most of my guitars, including my trusty old LS70F, and they're frankly superb.

I prefer the Hot PAF type like you mentioned, but wanted a more mid-biased sound, so I opted for a set of Black Dogs (8.5 & 10k) to replace the SD 59 & JB that I'd had installed to replace the original mkII's. The Black Dog does have quite a dark intense tone (especially if your Love Rock has a dense mahogany back), and these proved to be a bit much after a little while, and I needed to increase the treble response. I'd bought a set of covered Emerald's (10 & 12k approx) for another guitar, which I'd since sold on, but replaced the original pickups, so I thought I'd give them a try in the LS70F. They've lifted the tone of the guitar, as they're a brighter pickup anyway, and work really well with the dense back of the Love Rock, and work really well for classic rock as well as some heavier styles.

Why pay more for BKP's? It's hard to explain, but they just have that extra "oomph" that makes a good guitar sound like a great guitar. Plus the fact that they're hand wound in Britain, by people who know about how their pickups work with guitars.
Derby Ant
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our other guitarist has just got an irongear hot slag for his Burny.
Tomorrow night I'm going to do a compare and contrast to the SD custom 5 in my explorer as we have band practise.
Their customer service seems top notch, which is always a good starting point.
MASTER VOLUME
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna get a hot slag, but decided it would be too hot for my main guitar.
I'm interested in what it's like as may consider one for another guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: