Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greco Jazzmaster!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:

Oops, submitted twice.
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JM is one great guitar. I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

YES!

I agree that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but Jazzmasters certainly have a distinctive sound and have their own beautiful tonal palette, and can do things a Strat or Tele can't. Bands like Dinosaur Jr., Swervedriver or My Bloody Valentine have based their sound on that guitar, and have made some of my favourite records. Again, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but still classic guitar records for fans.

I've played a couple of older (late 60s and early 70s) American Jazzmasters, and several Japanese models, and currently own a CIJ Fender model--a nice candy-apple red. It's a great guitar, although I am probably going to replace the bridge at some point (I've heard Mustang bridges are a good replacement). It's comparable in quality to the older US models I tried, and is in better shape than they were. The pickup settings don't take long to get used to, and in IMO are more varied than the tones you can get out of a Strat. If you're just going to play blues licks with it though, get a different guitar.

Another awesome guitar is the CIJ Fender Jaguars with humbuckers! Cross a Les Paul with a Jaguar and that's what it sounds like. No whammy bar and slightly less distinctive out-of-phase tones than a stock Jaguar or JM, but really interesting thick sounds. I use it a lot for recording, and my clients love it as an tonal alternative to a Les Paul or similar heavier sounding guitar.

________
MIKA SALO

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, interesting to hear those views on the JM. Not sure that I agree, but then there's no reason why I have to! As for the Jaguar, they are only 24" scale, so the feel will be different, and they are bound to lack the "twang" that a 25.5" scale gives.

I still think it's kinda funny that Fender in the 60s thought that the JM would replace the Strat as their top of the range model - but it didn't exactly work out that way!
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

. It's a great guitar, although I am probably going to replace the bridge at some point (I've heard Mustang bridges are a good replacement).

Yea, I have heard the Mustang is a good replacement, although you will lose the Micro Adj. with the bridge as well. What I did is wrap some electrical tap around the poles of the bridge, and also around the little threads that go into the bridge. This seems to cure most of the rattles, then, I put very fat gauge flat wounds on it and that pretty much eliminated the bridge problems. Do you use Flatwounds on your JM? Anyway, I am with you on some of the bands. Dino Jr. is one of my favs. Other JM users include the guy from My Bloody Valentine, Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth, and Nels Cline, the great new guitar player for Wilco.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btmish wrote:
and Nels Cline, the great new guitar player for Wilco.

I prefer Wilko - and he plays a Tele
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I put very fat gauge flat wounds on it and that pretty much eliminated the bridge problems. Do you use Flatwounds on your JM?

I think I read somewhere Robin Guthrie (formerly of Cocteau Twins) did that with his Jazzmaster--it's something I've been meaning to try but haven't got around to it. I'm going to buy some tomorrow and put them on!
________
Buy Silver Surfer

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
btmish wrote:
and Nels Cline, the great new guitar player for Wilco.

I prefer Wilko - and he plays a Tele

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I like this take on the Jazzmaster from Bacchus.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bacchus-Nagano-Japan-Jazz-Surf-Nito-laquer-Top_W0QQitemZ320214483455QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mick
Outsider
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoo should all check out Nels Cline's absolutely fabulous playing on the new Wilco album "Sky blue sky". Most interesting guitarsolos I've heard in a long time. And great Jazzmaster tone.

Tokai Love Rock LS-85 F '05 w/ LOTS of mods
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
Hi all, I like this take on the Jazzmaster from Bacchus.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bacchus-Nagano-Japan-Jazz-Surf-Nito-laquer-Top_W0QQitemZ320214483455QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mick

Well it's different! Whether putting humbuckers on it is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, I guess.

JMs look so strange to me because they don't have the through body stringing that I always associate with Fenders - the back looks like something got forgotten in the factory!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: