Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greco Jazzmaster!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5joe wrote:
Corn is cheap where I live because I'm so close to it.

That's global market with rising prices too. Food is getting more expensive everywhere because demand is rising and land available to grow it is shrinking. Happily, the falling dollar makes US corn, wheat etc cheaper for most of the rest of the world to buy, which cushions some of the effects of global food-price inflation. Unless, of course, you live in the USA.

Corn, guitars, fuel etc etc. We live in a global market.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..."sneaky-chan can I be on your testament? I guess nobody's much into guitars in your family..."

might be wrong about what I think you`re saying but...my brother in law and his son play guitars I sent them. Anyways...you wouldn`t want any of the guitars in the picture of mine you posted a while ago `cause you were criticizing the necks, without having even seen them... or too many Japanese apartments I gather? I have begun selling off the guitars I won`t be taking back to Canada with me when we go and so far the guys who bought em have been very happy so sleep tight in the knowledge that no guitars were injured in the taking of that photo.

Last edited by sneakyjapan on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5joe wrote:
MIJVintage makes an excellent point.

Corn is cheap where I live because I'm so close to it.

hope you guys aren`t paying the same prices for your corn that you do for your MIJ guitars. An ear costs about $1.oo at the best of times in this city.
If you guys wanna be close to the MIJs, like I said..... you just have to come and get em like I did.
f5joe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneaky, you're right. However, that's not practical for me, although I'd love to visit the Japanese and their culture.

stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
Japan is in the same location it`s always been in, whats stopping anybody from coming over?

I think the cost of a flight to Japan, plus hotels, would add a fair bit to the price of any guitar bought there, however cheap it might be!

Maybe if we bought 50 guitars over there, it might make sense......

Surely the bottom line of this post is "Does anybody really want a Jazzmaster?" They're so, erm...well, what can you say about a Jazzmaster? Hardly one of Leo's greatest inventions.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
I have begun selling off the guitars I won`t be taking back to Canada with me when we go and so far the guys who bought em have been very happy so sleep tight in the knowledge that no guitars were injured in the taking of that photo.

I didn't "criticize" but suggest that it might not be ( maybe??) the best way to stock your guitars. Suggestion that you were prompt to take very badly to my amusement.

Quote:
without having even seen them... or too many Japanese apartments I gather?

true, My wife's family lives in a house! 4 levels. You may or may not have seen the flats in Paris but there's nothing to envy to the japanese real estate. One of the most expensive city in the world just behind London.

stratman323 wrote:

Surely the bottom line of this post is "Does anybody really want a Jazzmaster?" They're so, erm...well, what can you say about a Jazzmaster? Hardly one of Leo's greatest inventions.

Or " you can get a Fender Mij second hand if you're looking for something to play, not to collect."
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes Joe makes a great point; it isn't practical for the majority of us MIJ fans to just up & travel to Japan, as much as we might like to do so

Like I said Mr. sneaky, enjoy your advantage, while the rest of us pay through the nose

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. Guess I decided to come to the corn and not wait for the corn to come to me.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
sneakyjapan wrote:
Japan is in the same location it`s always been in, whats stopping anybody from coming over?

I think the cost of a flight to Japan, plus hotels, would add a fair bit to the price of any guitar bought there, however cheap it might be!

Maybe if we bought 50 guitars over there, it might make sense......

Hi Stratman, Go to the USA. Cheap flights, the dollar is on the floor and the guitar shops on 48th in NY are full of bargains. Just watch out for the excess baggage!
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get me an old Gibson custom 54 since I tried one at TC gakki a few weeks ago.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
sneakyjapan wrote:

well of course but judging by how much you Europeans are willing to pay, you needn`t buy 50 to make it profitable.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
well of course but judging by how much you Europeans are willing to pay, you needn`t buy 50 to make it profitable.

Well with the exception of one Springy, where I was misled, I don't think I have paid very much for my guitars. However, it's not us individually that determine prices, it's the market. If something is on eBay, the final price is purely in the hands of the bidders.

Anyway, it must be quite easy to make a statement like that whilst living in Japan!
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stratman323"]
sneakyjapan wrote:

Hey now. Jazzmasters certainly have some things going on that could be looked at as "problems" in the design. But fix those up, and the JM is one great guitar. I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btmish wrote:
I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

Really? Why? I've looked at them, but they seem to lack the distinctive tone (and sustain) that Strats & Teles have - they just sound a bit thin and weedy to me. Then there are those unnecessarily complicated controls, so I'm curious about what it is that you like about them.
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
btmish wrote:
I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

Really? Why? I've looked at them, but they seem to lack the distinctive tone (and sustain) that Strats & Teles have - they just sound a bit thin and weedy to me. Then there are those unnecessarily complicated controls, so I'm curious about what it is that you like about them.

Well, I think the tone is VERY distinctive. I wonder if you played the Fender Japan ones? I guess they have different style pick-ups in them, they are made to look the same, but are not. I can't imagine playing an old American Fender Jazzmaster pick-ups or some of the new remakes of those pickups and not hearing a distinctive tone. I have Jason Lollar jazzmaster pickups in my JM and they are very nice remakes of the originals. The controls are also not very complicated at all. You have the standard controls there at the bottom. The pick-up selector, and tone and volume, I believe. Then the top just has a switch that switches it to the rhythm (same as the rhythm on the bottom tone selector) and a tone and control for that. So, you can actually have two separate rhythm settings, the one one the bottom, and then you can flip to a different one on top. The only real major problem with them seems to be the bridge design. It is a floating bridge and can get rather noisy if not set up properly. There are ways around that to make it work better though.

As for the tone, that is my main reason for the love of the JM. It is a very warm guitar, and really sounds like no other guitar. Those special design pick-ups are very unique and are almost like a cross between a humbucker and a single coil. Having the depth and warmth of a humbucker, but cutting through more like a single coil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: