Greco Jazzmaster!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sneakyjapan said:
I have begun selling off the guitars I won`t be taking back to Canada with me when we go and so far the guys who bought em have been very happy so sleep tight in the knowledge that no guitars were injured in the taking of that photo.
I didn't "criticize" but suggest that it might not be ( maybe??) the best way to stock your guitars. Suggestion that you were prompt to take very badly to my amusement. :lol:

without having even seen them... or too many Japanese apartments I gather?

true, My wife's family lives in a house! :lol: 4 levels. You may or may not have seen the flats in Paris but there's nothing to envy to the japanese real estate. One of the most expensive city in the world just behind London.

stratman323 said:
Surely the bottom line of this post is "Does anybody really want a Jazzmaster?" They're so, erm...well, what can you say about a Jazzmaster? :-? Hardly one of Leo's greatest inventions. :eek:

Or " you can get a Fender Mij second hand if you're looking for something to play, not to collect." :D

yes Joe makes a great point; it isn't practical for the majority of us MIJ fans to just up & travel to Japan, as much as we might like to do so

Like I said Mr. sneaky, enjoy your advantage, while the rest of us pay through the nose :lol:

I will. Guess I decided to come to the corn and not wait for the corn to come to me.

stratman323 said:
sneakyjapan said:
Japan is in the same location it`s always been in, whats stopping anybody from coming over?

I think the cost of a flight to Japan, plus hotels, would add a fair bit to the price of any guitar bought there, however cheap it might be!

Maybe if we bought 50 guitars over there, it might make sense......

Hi Stratman, Go to the USA. Cheap flights, the dollar is on the floor and the guitar shops on 48th in NY are full of bargains. Just watch out for the excess baggage!

stratman323 said:
sneakyjapan said:
Japan is in the same location it`s always been in, whats stopping anybody from coming over?

I think the cost of a flight to Japan, plus hotels, would add a fair bit to the price of any guitar bought there, however cheap it might be!

well of course but judging by how much you Europeans are willing to pay, you needn`t buy 50 to make it profitable.

sneakyjapan said:
well of course but judging by how much you Europeans are willing to pay, you needn`t buy 50 to make it profitable.

Well with the exception of one Springy, where I was misled, I don't think I have paid very much for my guitars. However, it's not us individually that determine prices, it's the market. If something is on eBay, the final price is purely in the hands of the bidders.

Anyway, it must be quite easy to make a statement like that whilst living in Japan! :lol:

stratman323 said:
sneakyjapan said:
Surely the bottom line of this post is "Does anybody really want a Jazzmaster?" They're so, erm...well, what can you say about a Jazzmaster? :-? Hardly one of Leo's greatest inventions. :eek:

Hey now. Jazzmasters certainly have some things going on that could be looked at as "problems" in the design. But fix those up, and the JM is one great guitar. I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

btmish said:
I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

Really? Why? I've looked at them, but they seem to lack the distinctive tone (and sustain) that Strats & Teles have - they just sound a bit thin and weedy to me. Then there are those unnecessarily complicated controls, so I'm curious about what it is that you like about them.

stratman323 said:
btmish said:
I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

Really? Why? I've looked at them, but they seem to lack the distinctive tone (and sustain) that Strats & Teles have - they just sound a bit thin and weedy to me. Then there are those unnecessarily complicated controls, so I'm curious about what it is that you like about them.

Well, I think the tone is VERY distinctive. I wonder if you played the Fender Japan ones? I guess they have different style pick-ups in them, they are made to look the same, but are not. I can't imagine playing an old American Fender Jazzmaster pick-ups or some of the new remakes of those pickups and not hearing a distinctive tone. I have Jason Lollar jazzmaster pickups in my JM and they are very nice remakes of the originals. The controls are also not very complicated at all. You have the standard controls there at the bottom. The pick-up selector, and tone and volume, I believe. Then the top just has a switch that switches it to the rhythm (same as the rhythm on the bottom tone selector) and a tone and control for that. So, you can actually have two separate rhythm settings, the one one the bottom, and then you can flip to a different one on top. The only real major problem with them seems to be the bridge design. It is a floating bridge and can get rather noisy if not set up properly. There are ways around that to make it work better though.

As for the tone, that is my main reason for the love of the JM. It is a very warm guitar, and really sounds like no other guitar. Those special design pick-ups are very unique and are almost like a cross between a humbucker and a single coil. Having the depth and warmth of a humbucker, but cutting through more like a single coil.

JM is one great guitar. I love strats and teles and all, but the Jazzmaster has to be my favorite design by Leo.

YES!

I agree that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but Jazzmasters certainly have a distinctive sound and have their own beautiful tonal palette, and can do things a Strat or Tele can't. Bands like Dinosaur Jr., Swervedriver or My Bloody Valentine have based their sound on that guitar, and have made some of my favourite records. Again, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but still classic guitar records for fans.

I've played a couple of older (late 60s and early 70s) American Jazzmasters, and several Japanese models, and currently own a CIJ Fender model--a nice candy-apple red. It's a great guitar, although I am probably going to replace the bridge at some point (I've heard Mustang bridges are a good replacement). It's comparable in quality to the older US models I tried, and is in better shape than they were. The pickup settings don't take long to get used to, and in IMO are more varied than the tones you can get out of a Strat. If you're just going to play blues licks with it though, get a different guitar.

Another awesome guitar is the CIJ Fender Jaguars with humbuckers! Cross a Les Paul with a Jaguar and that's what it sounds like. No whammy bar and slightly less distinctive out-of-phase tones than a stock Jaguar or JM, but really interesting thick sounds. I use it a lot for recording, and my clients love it as an tonal alternative to a Les Paul or similar heavier sounding guitar.

:D
________
MIKA SALO

OK, interesting to hear those views on the JM. Not sure that I agree, but then there's no reason why I have to! As for the Jaguar, they are only 24" scale, so the feel will be different, and they are bound to lack the "twang" that a 25.5" scale gives.

I still think it's kinda funny that Fender in the 60s thought that the JM would replace the Strat as their top of the range model - but it didn't exactly work out that way! :lol:

. It's a great guitar, although I am probably going to replace the bridge at some point (I've heard Mustang bridges are a good replacement).

Yea, I have heard the Mustang is a good replacement, although you will lose the Micro Adj. with the bridge as well. What I did is wrap some electrical tap around the poles of the bridge, and also around the little threads that go into the bridge. This seems to cure most of the rattles, then, I put very fat gauge flat wounds on it and that pretty much eliminated the bridge problems. Do you use Flatwounds on your JM? Anyway, I am with you on some of the bands. Dino Jr. is one of my favs. Other JM users include the guy from My Bloody Valentine, Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth, and Nels Cline, the great new guitar player for Wilco.

I put very fat gauge flat wounds on it and that pretty much eliminated the bridge problems. Do you use Flatwounds on your JM?

I think I read somewhere Robin Guthrie (formerly of Cocteau Twins) did that with his Jazzmaster--it's something I've been meaning to try but haven't got around to it. I'm going to buy some tomorrow and put them on! :D
________
Buy Silver Surfer

stratman323 said:
btmish said:
and Nels Cline, the great new guitar player for Wilco.

:lol: I prefer Wilko - and he plays a Tele :lol:

Super13.gif

Hi all, I like this take on the Jazzmaster from Bacchus.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bacchus-Nagano-Japan-Jazz-Surf-Nito-laquer-Top_W0QQitemZ320214483455QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mick

Yoo should all check out Nels Cline's absolutely fabulous playing on the new Wilco album "Sky blue sky". Most interesting guitarsolos I've heard in a long time. And great Jazzmaster tone.

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi all, I like this take on the Jazzmaster from Bacchus.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bacchus-Nagano-Japan-Jazz-Surf-Nito-laquer-Top_W0QQitemZ320214483455QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mick

Well it's different! Whether putting humbuckers on it is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, I guess.

JMs look so strange to me because they don't have the through body stringing that I always associate with Fenders - the back looks like something got forgotten in the factory!

Mike

Back