Best Stage/Pedal Tuner?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just got an Arion Stage Tuner off eBay for ?20, & I prefer it to the expensive Fender I bought new :-?

Glamrockmegastar said:
Just bought a Planet Waves pedal tuner.

This thing is awesome as far as tuners go. True bypass. Optional muted switching. Strobe or sweep mode. Great display. Accurate to one cent. Adjustable calibration. Built like a tank.

All for $139 AUD. Before you buy Korg, check it out! 8)

I have one of those, it's a good tuner but I found it emits a rather unpleasant beep in sync with the LED flashes when it's engaged and supposedly muting all output. I only notice this when other pedals are present, on it's own it's fine. I've bought a few expensive pedals recently and that's when it showed up. Apparently it's a known issue so I emailed PW but got no reply.

I'm about to hang it off the end of this:

http://www.little-black-box.co.uk/single-loop/single-loop-with-tuner-out/prod_27.html

It's a good tuner in terms of being able to see it clearly and quickly get in tune but I've read it can be up to three cents out. For more demanding applications I use a Peterson software tuner, Strobosoft. Needless to say it's excellent. It's also relatively inexpensive since there's no hardware involved. If you do any computer based recording it just sits there one click away so there's no excuse for out of tune recordings any more. :) It's also great for setting up intonation, my guitars have never been in better tune. BTW, I set up my intonation by pressing at the 2nd and 14th fret, not open string and 12th.

andyscott said:
Glamrockmegastar said:

This thing is awesome as far as tuners go. True bypass. Optional muted switching. Strobe or sweep mode. Great display. Accurate to one cent. Adjustable calibration. Built like a tank.

I have one of those, it's a good tuner but I found it emits a rather unpleasant beep in sync with the LED flashes when it's engaged and supposedly muting all output. I only notice this when other pedals are present, on it's own it's fine. I've bought a few expensive pedals recently and that's when it showed up. Apparently it's a known issue so I emailed PW but got no reply.

I only use this one in line with my bass rig, so no other pedals in line. I will try it with the guitar rig & a few pedals to see if I have beeping too. However it's strange that it makes beeps while it's supposed to be true bypass.

Boss TU-2 for me - I can't notice any perceivable loss in tone when it's in the chain and the accuracy and speed are fine. The Korg DT-10 also gets good write-ups on HC and if you're lucky you could find the 'limited edition' black case model with blue LEDs which looks uber-cool 8)

Glamrockmegastar said:
andyscott said:
Glamrockmegastar said:

I only use this one in line with my bass rig, so no other pedals in line. I will try it with the guitar rig & a few pedals to see if I have beeping too. However it's strange that it makes beeps while it's supposed to be true bypass.

No beeps when in bypass mode, only when the tuning function is engaged and while using the 'mute' output. It may be dependant on which pedals are used too, and in which order. I had it as my first pedal and then four others after it. I think it was a kind of a G sharp beep it emitted, not exactly useful! :)

leadguitar_323 said:
Been playing for 30 years, never ever used one, never even owned one, all by ear and on the fly... :wink:
Mick

That's what I used to do, until one particular gig when both guitars went badly out of tune (no idea why), & I struggled to get them properly in tune afterwards.

Also, using the "kill the sound" feature means silent guitar changes in mid set.

:p

Latest posts

Back