info on Greco SA series

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panochinho

Reaction score
Hi,

this is my first post, although not at all my first time here. I've been here as a reader before.

My question has to do with SA series Greco guitars. I've found a lot of information on Les Pauls (sometimes they just seem to be the only guitar in the world :wink: ), but can hardly find anything about SA (ES335) series.

First of all, I really would like to have a look on Greco catalogs. No matter what language they're written on. I have a few catalogs of Ibanez and that's definitely the best way of knowing the different models and specs. Do you know about any on-line?

I'm after a SA (initially, a 700) but I'm a bit lost finding out specific information. One in particular I've got an eye on has got me thrilled. It has parallelogram inlays on the neck, and it's the first Greco SA I see that way. Also, it has parallelogram bridge (Gibson ES-330 kind).

As you can see there's a number of things I'm trying to find out. Basically, it's about getting to know these models better. Any help? Any catalog? Any personal experience with these? by the way, are there MIK SA series as well? (pardon my ignorance :oops: !)

thanx to you all! Hope to stay here a long time!

thanx so much for the link. Just what I wanted!

Mow I'm pretty sure I identified the exact model I'm following to buy: SA-700W.

By the way, any info on when Greco started making guitars in Korea? Any way of telling whether a guitar was made in Japan or Korea?

From what I've seen the Greco Semi Acoustics from the 70s to the mid 90s are Japanese.
The Grecos that were made in Korea before 1995 are the Cort made no serial Mint Collection solid body Grecos (open O letter in the Greco logo) which should not be confused with the Japanese no serial solid body Grecos with a closed O letter in the Greco logo.
After 1995 some low end Grecos might be from Korea but by this time the open book headstock Grecos had been discontinued.

thanx for the info. So it seems that SA-700W must be MIJ. Very likely a great Greco guitar. I'm more and more after it...

here's a late 70's SA700 in near mint cond. w/original HSC

definitely MIJ

Hope you can find a nice one; they're pretty cool guitars :)
SA700-14.jpg

EXACTLY!! that's exactly the one I'm after: the double parallelogram inlay in the freatboard, the bridge... yeap, the one I'm after.

Could you please comment something on your experience with it? I assume it's a 335 copy, not a 330 (as I believe SA 550 is, isn't it?), that is, semi-hollow not hollow.

I've been looking for these Greco's (actually any of the older semi-hollow models) since the first time I fell in love with one. Now I think I've got one on sight. Let's see...

Thanks for your most helpful post. I see you're selling at eBay. Planning to let this one go...?

panochinho said:
EXACTLY!! that's exactly the one I'm after: the double parallelogram inlay in the freatboard, the bridge... yeap, the one I'm after.

Could you please comment something on your experience with it? I assume it's a 335 copy, not a 330 (as I believe SA 550 is, isn't it?), that is, semi-hollow not hollow.

I've been looking for these Greco's (actually any of the older semi-hollow models) since the first time I fell in love with one. Now I think I've got one on sight. Let's see...

Thanks for your most helpful post. I see you're selling at eBay. Planning to let this one go...?

this one has the inlays in the style of a Gibson 345, I believe
Sorry, this one was SOLD long ago
The biggest reason for selling was that the neck was very small
The sound response was very even & clean; a very wonderful sounding guitar but the neck was too small :cry:

Latest posts

Back