What guitar stands do you use?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkstylez

Reaction score
Hello,

As these MiJ guitars are all rare and some of them also a bit heavy i was wondering what type of stands everyone is using for them (and perhaps your other guitars?).
Obviously you all use a case for storage, but what kind of stands do you use for let's say.. displaying, and/or breaks during playing etc..

I heard rubber and foam release chemicals that are bad for guitar (nitro) finishes, hence my question.

kind regards,
Adam

I have a variety of stands, some metal, some folding plastic, and a few nitro finished guitars. I've read about the plastic affecting the finish of nitro, but I've never had any problems. A guitar just gets put on whatever stand is free.

Actually Mike i disagree, i thought the same thing but have just noticed some rippling on the back of my nitro finished gold top. So now i'm getting the missus to make some little flannelet covers for the areas that touch my guitars.

Mick

Hmmm, not what I wanted to hear! Is it possible to get a pic of the rippling problem? And was it one particular stand that caused this problem?

:-?

Hi Mike, its hard to see unless you get the angle and light right but i'll try and take some pics, if they come out alright i'll definately post them :wink:

Mick

I keep all of mine in cases or gig bags with the exception of the one I'm currently playing - for which I don't use a stand. I lean it string side against the front of my amp. Doesn't budge at all.

I do that at rehearsals Marcus.....but at a gig...where any one of a dozen or so liquored up patrons can shamble onto the stage for a "Sweet Home Alabama" sing-a-long...I usually have my spare on a stand and my main guitar for the night goes back into it's case between sets.

While we're talking about guitar safety....why don't we include strap locks.
What type of locking system do you use?
I just bought a set of the same locks I used to use over 20 years ago...they're making them again although it was Dunlop making them in the old days.
3183_1.JPG

Grolsch washers over the strap lock the strap on as securely as anything I've ever seen, and they don't cause the buttons to work loose like straplok devices can. And they're free, if you can force yourself to drink a bottle of Grolsch per guitar. :p

126_2630.jpg

Ozeshin said:
I do that at rehearsals Marcus.....but at a gig...where any one of a dozen or so liquored up patrons can shamble onto the stage for a "Sweet Home Alabama" sing-a-long...I usually have my spare on a stand and my main guitar for the night goes back into it's case between sets.

Oh I thought he meant at home. At gigs, I usually take mine off stage to tune it and leave it in the case til I get up there. The drunken patrons usually knock my mic into my mouth as they're slinging each other across the dancefloor....I have a nice chipped front tooth due to that. Without the repair, I looked like Alfred E. Newman from Mad magazine.

Lol..the last drunken patron to grab my mic lead and not let go...saw the underside of my Converse sneakers.
He fell to the ground unconcious and bleeding....his mates kept making "throat slitting" motions for the rest of the gig...and we were snuck out the rear entrance of the venue....ahhhh....my old Metal days...*sigh*

To return to the OP for a sec, I use and recommend Hercules folding stands for home, rehearsal and stage use. The single guitar units are very compact, and (I was told this when I bought it) the soft pads aren't supposed to react with nitro finishes. I've been using one for a couple of years and as yet my Les Paul Standard is unmarked where the pads touch it. Reason for using stands? My Breezysound still has a mark in the back of the neck (15 years on) where a legless patron clutched at amp for support (it was a very very small stage), dislodging the guitar which was propped against it. I went out and bought guitar stands the next day. Was very tempted to give said tosser a mark in the back of his own neck but I'm not a violent man...

Back