How to detect the date/year of manufacture

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a lefty love rock with sunburst top. According to the previous owner the guitar is korean (according to our local importer this means nothing else than some painting finish could be made with more professional way in Japan. The manufacturing methods and wood materials are same in both countries). There is no serialnumber in the back of the headstock (I heard somewhere that this feature is a korean thing?). I have also opened the electronics covers from the back and nothing there too. I thought that the last place where I could find something would be underneath the microphones but I opened them too...nothing there. I bought the guitar used and I'm really really satisfied with it but I would like to know a bit more of its history. Yes and the TRC is black (with no white outline; 3 screws;arrowbellshaped ). I have also heard that there is difference in the tip of the headstock in korean and japanese models. You can see a videoclip of my guitar in http://personal.inet.fi/surf/simo.seppala
Thanks alot!

Simo Seppälä
Helsinki, Finland

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

Simo,

There is a big difference in the Korean and Japanese models! The Korean models appear to have a photo flame finish, more pieces of wood in the body and multi piece necks.

Overall if you compare the two side by side, the Japanese models are definitely better.

As a side note, I had a Korean Tokai Special, and it was made with particle board in the middle of the body, in between 2 solid pieces of wood for the front and back. The finish was not very well applied. I took it back the next day.

Cheers

Nigel

[Anonymously Posted by: 'luis']

I agree that the Korean models are for the most part inferior to the Japanese ones. I am only refering to the older ones..I haven't had a chance to inspect the newer ones yet. My Love Rock is Japanese and it is a three piece solid mahogany back with two piece maple top..approx 1/2 inch thick. I'd be curious to know the makeup of other Love Rocks in this regard.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Andrew Breeds']

Chad,

My 2000 Love Rock looks like it had a 2-piece body. I was pretty impressed with the build quality - superior to most of the new Gibson Les Pauls I've seen except for the finish.

Cheers

Nigel

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

Alrighty the subject invoked a colourful talk-a-storm. But my original question is still an enigma (atleast for me). Is there a way to know the year of manufacture if there's no stamped info in the guitar.

As you said Nigel that there's a big difference between korean and japanese models that is true but on the other hand almost all the guitars are individuals in a way that there seems to be a quite alot of difference for example how the body or neck is built (how many pieces etc.) or whatkind of parts used in the tuning system etc.
(BTW I have gotohs...? anything on these ?)

But I strongly believe that f.ex my guitar which is lefty is more rarely manufactured and so on... so maybe these lefty instruments are made with more precise way (than other korean models) or maybe the manufacturing methods are more "handmade" with lefties. I haven't found a single "poorly done" feature in my Korean model (I have to say that I'm not even sure that this one is a korean...? just "word-of-mouth" from the previous owner.)

Thank you I have spoken =)

/simo

p.s. maybe I'll make a site on my "lovely rock" and put some images there then it would be easier to talk about the features.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'TRAVIS']

more to come watch and listen boys :smile:

[Anonymously Posted by: 'michael necochea']

Latest posts

Back