Anyone find their Edwards lacks low end, authority...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock72

Reaction score
and tonal complexity compared to their other Les Pauls or MIJ clone? After having put my recently acquired 130 LTS through it's paces, compared to my Tokai LS200, it's a bit lean on the low end. The tone is more airy and light and not as authoritative as the Tokai. I've swapped the same set of pickups between the two guitars and found the same comparison. I wonder if it just has to do with the fact that the Edwards is a good 1-2 pounds lighter than the Tokai? I also had a 80s Burny that I sold after getting the Edwards, and the Burny also had better low end response and that Les Paul growl and grunt. It was even heavier than the Tokai though. Any thoughts?

Lots of conraversy surrounding these edwards these days.....chambered?......drilled?.........

keep in mind that mine came without a neck tenon :-?
never knew what to make of that cause i thought it was still great but now I'm hearing these rumours of how they are cutting corners?

I dont know.....

peacock72 said:
and tonal complexity compared to their other Les Pauls or MIJ clone? After having put my recently acquired 130 LTS through it's paces, compared to my Tokai LS200, it's a bit lean on the low end. The tone is more airy and light and not as authoritative as the Tokai. I've swapped the same set of pickups between the two guitars and found the same comparison. I wonder if it just has to do with the fact that the Edwards is a good 1-2 pounds lighter than the Tokai?

YES ... I can confirm this ... 8)

I have to turn down the tone controls to 4-5 to get a 'woman tone' on the neck ... I have the BK Mules in it, but also tried the WCR Fillmores, Wolfetone DrVs and Kloppmanns PAF '59 ...
The Kloppmanns were the first set after the stock pups, but they sounded too harsh and brittle ... I thought it was because I've modded the electronics to 50's wiring, but when I swapped this set for DrVs and Fillmores I noticed the same ... they didn't fit tonewise either ... :(

I have had the Fillmores and the DrVs in my Gibbo and was torn between them ... beautiful sound from both of them ... highs without harshness and low end although the Fillmores have the highest output ...
So ... my Eddie is right for the 'heavy stuff' while my Gibbo with the Fillmores is more for the sweet singing bluesey stuff ...

To say it clear ... my Eddie isn't a bad guitar, quite the contrary ... but I love my Gibbo most ... more an all-purpose guitar tonewise ... :wink:

Roger

Ah, at least I'm not alone! I'm having WCR Moore/Green Pickups installed right now, but if your Fillmores didn't do the trick, I'm a little weary. I'll probably try Goodwoods next if the Moore/Green Set don't fill things out. :-?

I'm waiting on a Darkburst/Godwood set to arrive from the States and then I'll be putting them in my Edwards honey burst 98LTS. I'm also going to replace the electrics and fit a Faber bridge and Tone-Lock stop piece. I sometimes wonder whether I should've gone for a Gibson - but then I remind myself that the Edwards is a third of the price!!

I'm also really starting to dislike the satin finish on the Edwards and I think I may have to break out the buffing kit and give it a shine - unless anyone wants to swap their SD for my LTS?

Regards

JohnS

jesone said:
I'm waiting on a Darkburst/Godwood set to arrive from the States and then I'll be putting them in my Edwards honey burst 98LTS ... I sometimes wonder whether I should've gone for a Gibson - but then I remind myself that the Edwards is a third of the price!!

John,

I've bought the Gibbo, because it was bargain then ... and I was a lucky guy having scored an excellent sounding one ... :wink:

Roger

jesone said:
I'm waiting on a Darkburst/Godwood set to arrive from the States and then I'll be putting them in my Edwards honey burst 98LTS. I'm also going to replace the electrics and fit a Faber bridge and Tone-Lock stop piece. I sometimes wonder whether I should've gone for a Gibson - but then I remind myself that the Edwards is a third of the price!!

Regards

JohnS
I feel like I should have bought a Bacchus, instead. I'm having the cap values changed and having Tonepros hardware installed in addition to the pickup swap. My 130LTS is getting up there in price now! :cry:

I'll confess that I also have an Epiphone Slash signature model that has a dark vintage sunburst finish. This guitar has a long neck tenon, Alnico Pro-II's, and a LockTone bridge and tail stop. At this point in time I regard it as the better guitar - certainly I feel it has a more articulate tone, better resonance throughout the body and it doesn't always want to slide sideways off my lap when I'm sat down!!
Again though it must be remembered that this guitar costs around ?500 which is a bit more than my Edwards 98LTS did.
I'm pretty hopeful that once I've carried out all the mods the Edwards will be the superior guitar although by then it will have cost more than the Epi!!!

Regards

John

jesone said:
I'll confess that I also have an Epiphone Slash signature model that has a dark vintage sunburst finish. This guitar has a long neck tenon, Alnico Pro-II's, and a LockTone bridge and tail stop. At this point in time I regard it as the better guitar - certainly I feel it has a more articulate tone, better resonance throughout the body and it doesn't always want to slide sideways off my lap when I'm sat down!!
Again though it must be remembered that this guitar costs around ?500 which is a bit more than my Edwards 98LTS did.
I'm pretty hopeful that once I've carried out all the mods the Edwards will be the superior guitar although by then it will have cost more than the Epi!!!

Regards

John
Get the regular zinc Tonepros as opposed to the lightweight aluminum. i just swapped the stock aluminum tailpiece with a heavy zinc Tonepros and a lightweight bridge and it helped a bit with the low end. I also swapped the caps for some Sozo Premium .047 Caps. All in all I am much happier with the guitar. Still might swap the bridge pickup for something with a bit more fat. Conversely, I threw the Edwards Gotoh lightweight tailpiece on my Tokai LS200 and made it even better than before.

I have already ordered the Faber kit I'm afraid. I also have some CTS pots in both 500k and 300k around and a variety of caps, vitamin Q's, orange drops, and some old 0.22uf's around so I plan to make up a couple of new harnesses. One for the Edwards and one for the Epi. I've read that the use of 300k pots can help tame the brightness of a guitar somewhat.
Having said all that I'm also on the lookout for a nice Tokai LS150 or possibly 85F and if I find one, that will probably mean the Edwards being moved on to a new home.

Just as an update - I threw the WCR Godwood and darkburst pups in the Edwards just now and I am very pleased indeed with the result. Sadly my amp has died on me so I can only test on the guitarport but it's sounding very sweet to me indeed.

Latest posts

Back