Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burny Les Paul Custom (1983?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sambo27
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Burny Les Paul Custom (1983?) Reply with quote

Hey I'm a new chap here on the forum,

Here's my Burny LP Custom (1983 if I remember correctly :?) bought from Mark/Villager a while ago.

Just wanted to show off and introduce myself basically!








Excuse the bad pictures, and honestly, I have no idea what it's doing on the grass in that last one... (that was courtesy of a numbskull acquaintance of mine! )


Sam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MIJvintage
Guitar God


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 2984
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Tokai Forum Sam

Very nice Burny Custom you have there

I'm a huge fan of the Burny Lesters.

Hope you enjoy your time here!
_________________
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
burnyIII
Guitar God


Joined: 26 May 2007
Posts: 58
Location: Germany, southwest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
congrats, very nice Burny.
And the (rare) blue color looks rather good, imho.
Bye
b.III
_________________
Let there be Rock !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luis
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Sep 2001
Posts: 2304
Location: Spain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a '83 but a last 80's-90's model just see the "different" "diamond" inlay,it?s not an early 80's to me.....Very light finguerboard also I prefer darker ones. I?ve never seen a blue Burny so maybe a refin?

Nice guitar however, I like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sambo27
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Yeah Luis the inlay was what has puzzled me a little (as well as the odd blue finish). I'll try and dig out the e-mail Mark sent me and see if it was described as an '83.

Maybe he'll give me some money back if it turns out it isn't.


Cheers,

Sam.

Here we go:

Quote from my e-mail:

"And also, is there any form of authentication like a serial number that can 'prove' its what it is?"

Mark's response:

"burnys dont have any ser no's ..you have to rely on my expertise to tell you what it is..but i offer a 1 month exchange if it doesnt suit you...but you
will love it its a cracking guitar, the VH-1's means its a top spec burny
...and the truss cover dates it to 1982/83...
"


Have I been duped?


I love it anyway so I'm not going to be a vintage-snob and sell it or anything. Tad annoying though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twinfan
Guitar God


Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 218

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truss rod covers can be changed very easily, so I wouldn't use them to date ANY guitar.

The headstock inlay is a better dating tool in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sambo27
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did seem odd when I read truss-rods were used to date a guitar. As you say, it's probably one of the easiest parts to change... so... hmm.

But I had very little knowledge of dating e.t.c. at the time I bought it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luis
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Sep 2001
Posts: 2304
Location: Spain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First all I?m not trying to harm any sale fron any dealer operating here,that?s very far from my intention. Regading this Burny, yes TRC has been changed, the original coming with this guitar is still a bell but with different shape.I had one similar to this but in cherry sunburst and it was a good guitar with a jazzy tone I liked,but I prefer early 80's no doubt....more accurate replicas. Just check for a 3 piece body under a light,if so then the puzzle have been complete.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sambo27
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see the back is only a 2-pc.... ?


Is there anything else that can 100% verify the date?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MIJvintage
Guitar God


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 2984
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sambo27 wrote:
Thanks guys

Yeah Luis the inlay was what has puzzled me a little (as well as the odd blue finish). I'll try and dig out the e-mail Mark sent me and see if it was described as an '83.

Maybe he'll give me some money back if it turns out it isn't.


Cheers,

Sam.

Here we go:

Quote from my e-mail:

"And also, is there any form of authentication like a serial number that can 'prove' its what it is?"

Mark's response:

"burnys dont have any ser no's ..you have to rely on my expertise to tell you what it is..but i offer a 1 month exchange if it doesnt suit you...but you
will love it its a cracking guitar, the VH-1's means its a top spec burny
...and the truss cover dates it to 1982/83...
"


Have I been duped?


I love it anyway so I'm not going to be a vintage-snob and sell it or anything. Tad annoying though.




Many Burnys are difficult to peg a manufacture date on, because so many have no serial number.
Having said that however isn't an excuse for ignorance in the market.
This is a perfect example of WHY members of this forum should gladly loosen up their closely held catalogs, come forth, and share the knowledge of these older guitars that we all love.
Considering the knowledge base we have here, I have seen very little of it demonstrated via sharing of older catalog data.

Let's look at the Burny page by Nils-Bro Muller; linked from villager's web site.
There is no mention of any RLC model until the mid 1980s, and I am confident that the early ones had the correct style head stock inlay.
This really doesn't seem correct because I have seen the earlier 3 pickup model FLG Customs.
So, again the information we all crave is out there somewhere; it's just NOT being shared by the ones that have it

The example that you have here Sam, I would believe to be at the earliest from 1986.

I wouldn't take anyone's word as the gospel truth on these older guitars, mine included.
Buyer beware..............................................................................
_________________
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIJvintage wrote:
again the information we all crave is out there somewhere; it's just NOT being shared by the ones that have it


Most people on here generously share the knowledge they have. There are a few people who only share information when they stand to gain from doing so.

This isn't a dig at anyone specific, but I think it's a true statement anyway.

Mike
Back to top
MIJvintage
Guitar God


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 2984
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
MIJvintage wrote:
again the information we all crave is out there somewhere; it's just NOT being shared by the ones that have it


Most people on here generously share the knowledge they have. There are a few people who only share information when they stand to gain from doing so.

This isn't a dig at anyone specific, but I think it's a true statement anyway.

Mike


I am specific in my reference to members sharing catalog data, and it would be great if the TF had a database of catalog info, for all members to view.
It would be even better if it were freely given.................and not as pulling teeth........

Being able to view (factual) catalog scans would be an invaluable asset, to many members

Catalogs, not conjecture & not BS..............................................

Don't get me wrong; I'm not naive enough to believe that this would end all of the questions we have here at he TF but it would go a long way in educating us on many issues................
_________________
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think so? A lot of the catalogue scans I have seen are in Japanese, and my command of Japanese is, well, limited!

Also, catalogues often don't disclose relevant stuff. For example, I have one of the 1985 Tokai catalogues, but it's not apparent from that what the difference is between a TST40 and a TST80. I now know, from the discussions here, that differences include cheaper pickups (ceramic?) and tuners on the 40s compared to the more common 50s, and nitro lacquer on the 80s and above. None of these facts can be found in the catalogue, which is of limited help.

What would be handy would be a book listing the differences, and adding to the limited information available in the catalogues. But there doesn't seem to be such a book. Even the "Blue Book" is useless - I know more about Tokais than the authors do, and my knowledge is still very limited.
Back to top
MIJvintage
Guitar God


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 2984
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Do you really think so? A lot of the catalogue scans I have seen are in Japanese, and my command of Japanese is, well, limited!

Also, catalogues often don't disclose relevant stuff. For example, I have one of the 1985 Tokai catalogues, but it's not apparent from that what the difference is between a TST40 and a TST80. I now know, from the discussions here, that differences include cheaper pickups (ceramic?) and tuners on the 40s compared to the more common 50s, and nitro lacquer on the 80s and above. None of these facts can be found in the catalogue, which is of limited help.

What would be handy would be a book listing the differences, and adding to the limited information available in the catalogues. But there doesn't seem to be such a book. Even the "Blue Book" is useless - I know more about Tokais than the authors do, and my knowledge is still very limited.



Yes, most if not all are in Japanese, and that is why I stated: "Don't get me wrong; I'm not naive enough to believe that this would end all of the questions we have here at he TF but it would go a long way in educating us on many issues................"

Why don't you try & be opened minded enough to understand how a catalog would be relevent to this particular example though; Sam is attempting to date his Burny Custom & a visual would likely help in connecting the head stock logo to a year of manufacture.
I don't particularlly need to know the Japanese language to understand what I'm viewing in a catalog scan, when it's an image of a photo........
_________________
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There Is a lot of good info 'out there' and I'm sure I know where 2% of it is!!

I've set up a thread in the General forum to pool our knowledge, not that I have much :

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9887
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group