USG75 MODEL

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duba56

Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between a USG75 and say a USG60.
Which is better. Both are made in Japan.

Thanks

They are both likely to be the exact same guitar. The model number is linked to Japanese retail in yen.

It alters once or twice a year and in the UK for instance the distributor tends to stick to the older numbers so people know what it is they're looking at.

In Japan it's now an USG 85

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/sg/sg85/sg85.html

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks for your help.Actually the one I bought is from Richtonemusic !

Also this SG is replacing and Korean one I had a few years ago,how different is the quality and comparison.

Thanks

duba56 said:
Also this SG is replacing and Korean one I had a few years ago,how different is the quality and comparison.

Thanks

I have no idea, but it would be really good to hear your opinion when you get the guitar as to how it compares with the Korean one. At twice the price I would hope it's better :wink:

I have yet to see a Tokai SG, so pics would be appreciated to see how it compares to the Gibson original. Does it have the 61 style small pickguard or the later, larger "batwing" type that surrounds the p/ups? And does the headstock have the extra "nipple"?

If the Tokai SGs are as good as their LPs it would seem to be an attractive proposition. I like SGs but my only concern is that I have tried a couple that were neck heavy, because the body was quite light. One was a korina one.

Edit - I looked at the link at the one pictured looks really sweet. How is the neck joint on these models - pretty solid? And are they well balanced?

Small pick guard and no SG is balanced. In fact the SG might be the worst balanced guitar of all times. They are very neck heavy but man do they sound sweet.

I should have the guitar by next week and will post some pics. I really liked the Korean SG. it played and sounded great. My fellow bandmate guitarist cursed me out for selling it. I was apprehensive to sell it. So this will be my replacement.

ned said:
Small pick guard and no SG is balanced. In fact the SG might be the worst balanced guitar of all times. They are very neck heavy but man do they sound sweet.

I think my vote for worst balanced guitar would go to the Tokai Firebird. I kept mine for all of 2 months before I got fed up with and sold it. I had a Tokai SG about 15 years ago, & although it was neck heavy, it wasn't as bad as the Firebird.

This was mine:

TokaiSG.jpg

marcusnieman said:
Nice old one judging from the trussrod cover.

I bought it new in the late 80s, and swapped it a few years later for an ESP 400 Series Strat. The SG was a great guitar, but I just didn't use it enough. I think I used it live about twice! And money was a lot tighter for me 15 years ago.

I hope it's been looked after. :-?

ned said:

Yeah, that pretty much coincides with my SG experiences. I'm a big Angus Young fan so I do love that SG tone. The Epi korina one that I tried was horribly balanced, almost unplayable as the headstock kept taking a nosedive. The Gibson Special Faded was better balanced however. I wouldn't even think about buying a Tokai (or any other) SG without trying it first for weight and balance.

I recieved my SG and what an awesome instrument !!!!
Will post some pitures soon.So much better than my Korean and I took it to my local music store to get a case and the saleperson were blown away by the quality and we compared it to the SG's in the store,there were no comparisons. All around better than any Gibsons they had on the shelves.

Dealing with Richtone music was a wonderful experiance. Quality guitar,great and prompt cusotmer service and will definalty recommend them to everyone wanting a Tokai here in the US and abroad. Being in the states I was a little apprehensive about overseas purchases but everything was smooth,timely and professional.
Thanks again Richtone !!!!

Kudos to tokai !!!!!

Good to hear the SG75 is better that the Korean one. As it should be for the price difference. Pics & a full review would be great!!

Latest posts

Back