Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

burny les paul is to heavy, should i route out the back?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnyIII
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
The bass player in my band has a bad back now, & he had to cancel rehearsal last week. I met him last night and told him he's a wimp & a fag.

He told me to go f*** myself.

Seemed fair enough really

I hope your bass players back gets better after routing out the body of his bass.
bashbrook
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my >10lb Burny LP Custom.

I wasn't that happy with the weight but loved the guitar. In the end, I sold it although I did consider (and reject) the idea of routing it out.

What fascinates me is the big difference in feel between an 8lb Lester that feels realtively light and the 10lb ones that feel heavy. It's odd that those extra 2lbs seem to make so much difference!
burnyIII
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bashbrook wrote:

What fascinates me is the big difference in feel between an 8lb Lester that feels realtively light and the 10lb ones that feel heavy. It's odd that those extra 2lbs seem to make so much difference!

Difference in sound, or in handling? Or both?
Could you describe the difference a little closer?
Thx in advance.
snakehips
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could go the routing route (!) myself, take a deep breath and trade it on.

Surprised no one's mentioned the 335 - light weight, great LP sounds, with, to my ears, more definition and character. You can also access the dusty end easily unlike LPs and to a lesser extent, Strats.

A good Strat is hard to beat for earthiness and soul, but a 335 gets closer than most, helping humbuckers deliver complexity as well as power. I've two Greco's, a SA-1200 ('80) and SA-900 ('78) - both have wonderful tone. I went 35+ years without trying the 335 model....curses!

Single coils don't sound thin until played alongside a humbucker - 'body' helps describe the difference, humbuckers have more of it.

Both pups sound great, but different.

PS Also have a 'Seymour Duncan' branded ESP Strat.
big-ace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe go for an Edwards LP, as they seem to be fairly light for a LP. in the 3.7 - 4kg range.
Jimbob78
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't route it. Personally, I'd get a good strap (amazing the difference this makes), sell it and get a lighter guitar.
There's always weight training, but I doubt a heavy Les Paul is sufficient motivation for you
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between as Les Paul and alump of concrete?None,except that the Les Paul burns better! Gabe.
bobwise
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of strap are you using? A wide padded strap can make the guitar feel a lot more comfortable. There is (or was) some company that makes a "harness" system -- a strap over each shoulder to distribute the weight.

I don't like 10lb+ Les Pauls even when I'm sitting down. They make my leg go sleep. And I've kept my keys in my left pocket ever since the '70s, because they used to leave bruises and puncture wounds in my leg under the weight of an 11 lb Goldtop Deluxe. I used to fantasize about routing it from the back, and then capping it with a thin sheet of flame maple. But as others have mentioned, at best you ruin its value and at worst you ruin the guitar. There are plenty of sub 9 lb LPs available. and quite a few featherweight chambered LPs available.

There are plenty of people out there that make Zakk Wylde look like a wimp who would love a 10.5 lb Paul. It makes more sense to let her go to a good home and find yourself a less dense guitar, unless a different strap makes it tolerable.
big-ace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
What is the difference between as Les Paul and alump of concrete?None,except that the Les Paul burns better! Gabe.

whats the difference between a dickhead and ***. well, just a Les Paul and the ability to play it.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big-ace wrote:
whats the difference between a dickhead and ***. well, just a Les Paul and the ability to play it.

Hmmm, shame that doesn't work....
big-ace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally the dickhead takes a les paul an says 'this guitar sucks, plays like crap'', but it is always the dickheads fault. or would you rather play a lump of concrete and look like a total dickhead... but a les paul does burn better right?
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we have that in English please?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big-ace wrote:
generally the dickhead takes a les paul an says 'this guitar sucks, plays like crap'', but it is always the dickheads fault. or would you rather play a lump of concrete and look like a total dickhead... but a les paul does burn better right?

Huh?
big-ace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically saying if you can shred on a LP your the man (a la John Sykes, Doug Aldrich, Vivian Campell etc). most people bag a LP because they cant play one. i mean they have the tone, but alot of guys are not man enough to play a Les Paul.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a really intelligent comment.

Hendrix was such a wimp, wasn't he? I'm sure you're much more of a real man than he ever was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: