the best way to tell if it is nitro or poly ,,,,,,,

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muccaz

Reaction score
hi
were is the best place to test if is is nitro or poly .... i know i have to use acetone to test ,,,,, but i am not sure i test the right place .... on my 1987 strat vintage usa in black it works ,,,, but not on my 1980 burny flg 90 ????????????? any one now how to test the best way
:eek:
otto

hi! of course you can smell it if your nose knows what to smell for.

however, if you have a cold or never had it before: put a bit of nitro-thinner onto a cotton-bud and apply it INSIDE (!!!) the pup-cavity. If the painting starts to dissolve within some 2-30 mins: voila! It really takes up to 30 mins on an old ST. Please keep in mind that 30 years are 30 years.

If it doesn't, poly.

Cheers. Rup

rgrafend said:

however, if you have a cold or never had it before: put a bit of nitro-thinner onto a cotton-bud and apply it INSIDE (!!!) the pup-cavity. If the painting starts to dissolve within some 2-30 mins: voila! It really takes up to 30 mins on an old ST. Please keep in mind that 30 years are 30 years.

If it doesn't, poly.

Cheers. Rup

hi
thanks ....... i did use acetone on my 57 us vintage 1987 strat ,,,,, and right a way the paint dissolved ,,,,,,,,, but not on my 1980 flg 90 .?????????????? ..... so i was thinking i was doing some thing wrong ,,,,,, i did try in the control cavity ,,,,,, but not thing happend ........
:( :( :( :( but i did not wait 30 min ...... only 2 min ........
all the best otto

rgrafend said:

If it doesn't, poly.

Cheers. Rup

hi
thanks ....... i did use acetone on my 57 us vintage 1987 strat ,,,,, and right a way the paint dissolved ,,,,,,,,, but not on my 1980 flg 90 .?????????????? ..... so i was thinking i was doing some thing wrong ,,,,,, i did try in the control cavity ,,,,,, but not thing happend ........
:( :( :( :( but i did not wait 30 min ...... only 2 min ........
all the best otto

Amyl acetate ( I get from my work ) will immediately desolve Nitrocellulose Lacquer (Nitro) finished Guitars-

If the guitar is Poly finished the Amyl acetate will just act like water and not effect the Poly.

Acetone is the primary (or only) component in nail polish remover and is suposto work also immediately melting the Nitrocellulose Lacquer, although I don't polish my fingernails like dick does- so I don't have any on hand to test.

the 'test' as it has been refered to, has been discussed here in the TF previously

get yourself some lacquer thinner, namely ACETONE, and test a very small bit of it on a hidden place aka pup route

If it is a non catalized nitro, the finish should immediately react, or turn to sludge/scum, etc.
If it is a catalized nitro, it may or may not react
If it is a poly finish, it won't do squat...........

just DON'T get any on a visible finish area, because if it is nitro, you'll be very unhappy with the results :lol:

Back