Let the healing begin!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy & sell guitars, in the US.

Here is (a part of ) what I place in all of my sales listings.
"Non U.S. buyers are responsible for any customs duties, fees, and/or taxes."

Now, having said this, I do not believe that it is incumbent upon Hisashi, or any other seller to inform potential buyers, concerning the possibility, or likely nature of import fees.

I believe as others have stated, that the title of this thread is unfair to Hisashi, and the article title should be deleted, and changed to something much less inflamatory.

If the buyer is uninformed, Hisashi should not be paying for it with his good reputation.

Well said Schocker. If I import a guitar to the UK I know my tax status. If I export to Brazil, Switzerland, Russia, USA, Canada, Japan, India or anywhere outside the EU, I have no knowledge of local/regional tax law or even if I'm sending proscribed goods, as I might just be with some vintage guitars going to the USA. That's the buyer's responsibility.

I have enough trouble with UK VAT rules without worrying if they have similar taxes in South Africa.

I agree that Hisashi should not be held accountable. Doesn't everyone expect to pay import duty or is that just those of us from Canada? :cry:

Ulitmately, $84 is really cheap for duty. I had to pay $60~ 'brokerage' fee on a pair of used Gibson '57s from the US!!! The auction closed at $128 US!!!

Furthermore, when I bought my LS-150 from Japan and had it sent to Korea ($900 used) I had to pay almost $200 in duty here!

It sucks you had to pay, but it could be a HELL of a lot worse.

J.

What do ya think if I burned my finger when using a lighter?

Should I print warnings on the lighters:

DANGER COULD BE HOT!

??????????????????

Danger, strings can break and hurt you!

Danger, Marshalls can be loud!

Danger..........

Danger................

Change that thread title, cause this is really not fair to a good seller!

good on ya, "ACY"

ChicoBluez, you should apologise to the seller publicly on here. You have made a fool of yourself by criticising the seller for your own ignorance.

I know that customs and import duty is a pain, but so is airport security, but it's a fact of life. That's why lots of us choose not to import stuff from abroad.

The title of this thread should be changed.

Mike

Economies differ from country to country! News at eleven!

I'm pleased to have met enough fantastic and intelligent Americans to know that the stereotype of being stay-home xenophobes with no knowledge of the outside world is a false one, but you're doing nothing for the reputation of your countrymen...

In Sweden the customs add the price of the guitar with the shipping cost. Then they add 25% sales tax to that and then they add another 3-5% customs fee on top of it all. That means we have to pay tax even for the shipping cost. This is if we buy from outside the EU. But that's my responsability to know, not the sellers! Please change the topic title!

Mike

javelin70 said:
Please change the topic title!

Mike

... and do it soon.

Meanwhile, and just in case I buy a guitar from him, perhaps Chicobluez would like to explain how VAT woks in the EU and why it's also applied to shipping costs. I can never understand the logic of that.

I recently imported a guitar from Hisashi. It states clearly in all his Ebay listings that any local import tax is not included. It added a whopping ?135 to the cost of the guitar here in the UK. However, I had done my research - there are many mentions of possible customs/duties duties in this very forum - and had factored that into my buying decision.

I am delighted with the guitar and with the service from Hisashi and it is sad to see such an honourable seller maligned with an unfavourable strap-line to your thread.

As with every purchase decision, the motto is 'buyer beware', i.e. it's up to us, the guitar-buying public, to fully research all possible costs before making a firm commitment to buy.

I hope that you really enjoy your guitar, Chico, and that it is a 'keeper'. Once you've owned it and loved it for a few years, that extra you had to pay on import duties will not even be worth thinking about...

best wishes,

John.

I can't see how thats the sellers fault, EVEN IF they fail to mention it, if you are going to import something more than ?300 from over the world surely any normal person would take some time to look at import and customs duties? Or am i just being silly?

And i agree, the thread title should be changed.

Just to furthur mitigate Hisashi, not that he is in any way to blame, I hunted down the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230198730414

He clearly says in the austion:

2) Returning the guitar to Japan - in this case you would be given a full refund for the price you paid for the guitar itself (after the guitar arrives in Japan), but all other costs must be paid by you (the original shipping to your country, the shipping back to Japan, any customs/tax charges, etc).

Does this not suggest that there may be charges applied when the guitar is imported?

Since the original poster seems to be unwilling to change the title of the the thread, or apologize, I would suggest that Ned should do this.

Mike

AlanN said:
I'm pleased to have met enough fantastic and intelligent Americans to know that the stereotype of being stay-home xenophobes with no knowledge of the outside world is a false one, but you're doing nothing for the reputation of your countrymen...

Hmmm - that's nice. Never heard that one before. Doesn't say much for your countrymen if that's your stereotype of us.

I think US Customs should step up and charge the tax from every package that comes to US.

Is it really up to receiver if he/she 'wants' to pay tax if the Customs doesn't charge anything? Doesn't that make everyone who doesn't pay a criminal?

It is wonderful to read opinions. My choice to start this post was not without careful consideration. I am thrilled at the reactions of some, not surprised of others.

A simple declaration in Hisashi's auction or any auction is fair and good buisness practice for sellers and consumers.

Hisashi's reputation is only as good as Hisashi's transaction with myself.

I am thankful and grateful to be allowed an opinion on this site.

Chico 8)

ChicoBluez said:

Chico 8)

I don't know Hisashi, but it seems that his reputation is rather better than yours, since you have failed to apologise for your error.

It beggars belief that you criticise a guitar dealer in Japan for failing to advise you about the taxation policies of the government of your own country! :eek:

ChicoBluez said:
It is wonderful to read opinions. My choice to start this post was not without careful consideration. I am thrilled at the reactions of some, not surprised of others.

A simple declaration in Hisashi's auction or any auction is fair and good buisness practice for sellers and consumers.

I am thankful and grateful to be allowed an opinion on this site.

Chico 8)

In all seriousness, is this the first time you have ever bought something from outside the country? If so, I can understand how you're surprised to get a duty bill. I still don't think it's fair to say it's Hisashi's fault, but I undeerstand. If it isn't the fist time, why did you think you wouldn't get taxed?

J.

Latest posts

Back