Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let the healing begin!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACY
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!
I think it would be fair to change the name of this thread!

cheers, "ACY"
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are a member of other sites on the web you could have asked your fellow countrymen if they`d ever paid duty on imported guitars. I`m not sure how an on line Japanese seller could possibly know if an American would be responsible to pay duty when evidently Americans don`t even know. You could have asked the Americans here.
Life is a series of experiences...add this one to yours.
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'Ve bought two guitars overseas and never heard of a import Tax, or duties tax. Im am also not aware of the responsibilities of what other countries have to do when they buy out of the country..

Sounds like you just drew a random stroke of bad luck...
twinfan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be "ChicoBluez...Shame on you!"

It's your responsibility to know about import taxes. I'm glad you left positive feedback, negative would have been VERY unfair on the seller.

As with most purchases - "Caveat Emptor"
Schocker
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this thread offensive. When I saw the title, I got the impression that a seller whose auctions I've seen on a frequent basis and have considered buying from had done something less than legitimate. Had I not read the content, this would be the impression I would have been left with.

It turns out that someone is whinging about having to pay import duty. Well, for the benefit of all you who have "never paid a dime in duty", I have imported more guitars than I can remember and I believe there may have been one occasion when I didn't "get stung". On all other occasions I have had to pay anything from ?50 to ?150 - that's $90 to $280 approximately.

Excuse me if I don't feel vast amounts of sympathy for someone who has had to shell out what for us in the UK would be a pleasantly small amount for duty!! The fact that it seems most of the time US customs officers are scratching their rears instead of sending out demands for duty is something you should be grateful for.

What is totally outrageous, however, is that the person starting this thread wishes to damage the reputation of a previously respected seller for no reason other than their own ignorance and misguided assumption having let them down. As Sneaky says, how should Hishashi know what your country's laws are if you don't?!

Is Hishashi also meant to tell you that just because you bought the guitar you may not be able to play every riff Angus Young ever performed on an SG just because you once saw an AC/DC video?! He is not telepathic nor a mind-reader.

I would suggest this thread should have its title changed but kept on the forum as a reminder to people about unreasonable expectations/assumptions when involved in transactions.
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy & sell guitars, in the US.

Here is (a part of ) what I place in all of my sales listings.
"Non U.S. buyers are responsible for any customs duties, fees, and/or taxes."

Now, having said this, I do not believe that it is incumbent upon Hisashi, or any other seller to inform potential buyers, concerning the possibility, or likely nature of import fees.

I believe as others have stated, that the title of this thread is unfair to Hisashi, and the article title should be deleted, and changed to something much less inflamatory.

If the buyer is uninformed, Hisashi should not be paying for it with his good reputation.

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Schocker. If I import a guitar to the UK I know my tax status. If I export to Brazil, Switzerland, Russia, USA, Canada, Japan, India or anywhere outside the EU, I have no knowledge of local/regional tax law or even if I'm sending proscribed goods, as I might just be with some vintage guitars going to the USA. That's the buyer's responsibility.

I have enough trouble with UK VAT rules without worrying if they have similar taxes in South Africa.
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Hisashi should not be held accountable. Doesn't everyone expect to pay import duty or is that just those of us from Canada?

Ulitmately, $84 is really cheap for duty. I had to pay $60~ 'brokerage' fee on a pair of used Gibson '57s from the US!!! The auction closed at $128 US!!!

Furthermore, when I bought my LS-150 from Japan and had it sent to Korea ($900 used) I had to pay almost $200 in duty here!

It sucks you had to pay, but it could be a HELL of a lot worse.

J.
ACY
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do ya think if I burned my finger when using a lighter?

Should I print warnings on the lighters:

DANGER COULD BE HOT!

??????????????????

Danger, strings can break and hurt you!

Danger, Marshalls can be loud!

Danger..........

Danger................

Change that thread title, cause this is really not fair to a good seller!

good on ya, "ACY"
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicoBluez, you should apologise to the seller publicly on here. You have made a fool of yourself by criticising the seller for your own ignorance.

I know that customs and import duty is a pain, but so is airport security, but it's a fact of life. That's why lots of us choose not to import stuff from abroad.

The title of this thread should be changed.

Mike
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
You have made a fool of yourself by criticising the seller for your own ignorance.

Well said Mike.
Please change the title or deleted the whole thread.Hisashi is a forummember and respectated seller,that offend is unfair.

Volker
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economies differ from country to country! News at eleven!

I'm pleased to have met enough fantastic and intelligent Americans to know that the stereotype of being stay-home xenophobes with no knowledge of the outside world is a false one, but you're doing nothing for the reputation of your countrymen...
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sweden the customs add the price of the guitar with the shipping cost. Then they add 25% sales tax to that and then they add another 3-5% customs fee on top of it all. That means we have to pay tax even for the shipping cost. This is if we buy from outside the EU. But that's my responsability to know, not the sellers! Please change the topic title!

Mike
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javelin70 wrote:
Please change the topic title!

Mike

... and do it soon.

Meanwhile, and just in case I buy a guitar from him, perhaps Chicobluez would like to explain how VAT woks in the EU and why it's also applied to shipping costs. I can never understand the logic of that.
Johny642000
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently imported a guitar from Hisashi. It states clearly in all his Ebay listings that any local import tax is not included. It added a whopping ?135 to the cost of the guitar here in the UK. However, I had done my research - there are many mentions of possible customs/duties duties in this very forum - and had factored that into my buying decision.

I am delighted with the guitar and with the service from Hisashi and it is sad to see such an honourable seller maligned with an unfavourable strap-line to your thread.

As with every purchase decision, the motto is 'buyer beware', i.e. it's up to us, the guitar-buying public, to fully research all possible costs before making a firm commitment to buy.

I hope that you really enjoy your guitar, Chico, and that it is a 'keeper'. Once you've owned it and loved it for a few years, that extra you had to pay on import duties will not even be worth thinking about...

best wishes,

John.
LS75Q, ES130, Breezysound, Hardpuncher
1980 Silver Star SS48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: