TONE - A SUBJECTIVE ISSUE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Hi Lee, living in Texas you get to catch EJ often, I have heard him in a music store in Austin playing a strat thru a clean 65' Super Reverb and you could tell who was playing. I don't know how much he could enjoy playing being as obsessive about his rig{ you have heard the stoties about how he sez he can tell the difference between Duracells and other batteries ina stomp box} I find his tone much like an electric violin{ a 10,000 lb one!} He is a player! 8) TG

tokaiguy said:
how he sez he can tell the difference between Duracells and other batteries ina stomp box}

I heard the one about how he holds together some of his FX with elastic bands because screws affect the tone - now that's just silly!

Update.

I've discovered that my pedals are much happier when they are permanently daisy-chained together on a board as opposed to being broken down after a gig and put in separate boxes. Apparently they feel more like part of a team and so believe they work and sound much better together. Personally I don?t understand what they?re on about as it all sounds the same to me.

Anyway, I suffered a few problems with my old Vox wha-wha who, on the grounds of his senior position on the 'board' (ohh dear), 'flatly' refused to have his battery removed (please stop!) and permanently replaced with a 9v supply. Subsequently I had to let him go. His replacement is a "Clyde" unit who seems to be whaing nicely.

Periodically a row flares up between the 9v and 240v camps that usually starts with the 240's humming wildly out of tune. However, this is usually rectified with a wiggle of the wires or by delivering a swift kick to the biggest box.

WHAT!

A whole tone thread and I never got to post on it **** and tarnation!

I have decided that great tone resides mostly in the upper frequencies - almost sounds like noise, makes a kind of swushy sound is quite complex and therfore pleasing to the ear.

I have heard this tone on all the greats so it must be true.

And that is great tone finally defined for all.

:eek:

Latest posts

Back