Breezy Sound ,Springy Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
settebello said:
Seems you be wrong John.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXsE7KATCg

Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface. :wink:
In deed very nice Tone. 8)

Volker

One day I'll get something right :oops:

The guitars are made for playing, remember SRV or Rory Gallaher, so in the future think of kids like me that would die for a nice guitar, and actually play it.

Very nice playing! It seems like you have a nice collection started. Looks like two tokais and a fender.. Keep Up the pickin!!

We should consider this point though.

A new Fender or Gibson of equal quality of vintage MIJ guitars are going to run from $2,000-$4,000. Those are new, Custom shop strats or heritage Gibsons.

For an true vintage Fender or Gibson, you will pay $20,000-$100,000.

So, MIJ dealers understand they can ask close to the same as the new top of the line Fenders/Gibsons, because the quality is the same. And some believe the MIJ vintage are even better than the new custom shop guitars. And the MIJ vintage have cool points because they are actually vintage..

In my case I decided to buy an actual vintage Japanese 7okai strat 25 years old, that has stellar build quality, as opposed to a new copy of a vintage guitar such as the custom shop Fenders.

So, because of this, and people commenting on the MIJ quality on web sites like this, and word of mouth, MIJ dealers figure that their product is worth close to what these new guitars are worth. And people will buy them.

Just my two cents, but what do I know!! :D

Nice playing Blues Junior :p It's good to hear a younger blues player who isn't just a clone of SRV (brilliant though he was). What's the Tokai? A Silver Star?

Settebello - could you tell me more about the mod to the Fender Blues Junior? I have a 93, and I've never thought about changing it, great little amp. But if it can be improved, I'd love to know more.

Mike

I'm getting myself confused now - too many Fender amps called Blues something! I was thinking of my Blues Deluxe - a really nice amp. I bought the Blues Junior more recently, and I'm far less impressed with it, in fact I don't use it much as it has little tonal variation. I might take it to rehearsal tonight to see if it's any better when it's cranked up a bit.

Thanks guys for the comments, I'm starting a collection, that's for sure, I have a 1980 SS40 and LR60, both great guitars, though i like the Love Rock a bit more. But one thing is sure, i won't stop on these two! I also have a thing of my in the recording topic, so check it out:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3667
The amp is a Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface that could use a set of new tubes really good.

One thing more, I agree with kmarccoco about the relation of the vintage Fender, Gibson and vintage Tokai prices. But I just hope that rich guys won't start collecting Tokais, cause then we're in big trouble. I hope that when I start earning some money(I'we just started college) all the good stuff won't be hanging on a big wall of some rich collector begging to be played day and night!

Cheers :wink:

Hi there!

Please allow me to add my 2 cents. Every year before xmas (or however you call it in your part of the world, it's Hannukah starting in Israel tomorrow for example) the same discussion pops up in all guitar forums.

I had Gibsons, Fenders and even the odd Guild. I collect (and play) Tokais by now. Some Gibsons are better than Tokais. Some Fenders are better than Tokais.

However, the probability to get a really good Tokai are way higher then to get a good G or F at the same price. If you are lucky to get a Tokai at a lower price, take it.

I consider it stupid to give away a superior product at a low price just because it has an unknown brand on the headstock. I tried to get a fair price for an LS150 on ebay, it's impossible. So I stopped selling Tokais.

This has nothing to do with price, just with value. I don't want to be angry with myself, and I value my Tokais.

Rup

it started a few years ago BJ...old used Tokais are now selling for more that they did new, in some cases several times more. First it was Tokais, then Grecos , Burnys are getting there, old Navigators sometimes as well but mostly in big cities, here they go for less.

And thats how it started with vintage fenders and gibsons, the collectors drove the price up. So, now the price has gone up on 7okais.

But, the price went up on 7okais because of the quality equaling the quality of the more expensive fenders and gibsons.

Here is an example of a real vintage strat... very good quality, handmade(well, small factory produced). Two, and sometimes three piece bodys. http://cgi.ebay.com/1956-Fender-Stratocaster-Sunburst-Beautiful-Original_W0QQitemZ270192972373QQihZ017QQcategoryZ118987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or, here is a custom shop, 2004, handmade(well, small shop produced) 54' strat. It is not vintage, and has had mixed reviews, both good and some bad, about the quality and sound. It is not vintage, only made to look vintage. http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-04-50TH-ANNIVERSARY-MASTERBUILT-CS-STRATOCASTER_W0QQitemZ170175495884QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, there are the average prices for an exceptional stratocaster.

So, to pay for a vintage 7okai that meets or exceeds the custom shop strat, and is actually vintage, is reasonable in my opinion.

Reviews at harmony central stated that half of the custom shop strat 2004 limited 54' owners were not to impressed with sound or quality, while the other half were happy. Now, the harmony central reviews on 7okai Springys were all positive with very high marks.

A player is still going to save several hundred dollars with going with a vintage 7okai ST 100.... :D

harony central reviews

a few on tokai springys

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Tokai/ST-80/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Tokai/Springy-Sound+Strat/10/1

and the custom shop 54'

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Custom+Shop+%2754+Masterbuilt+50th+Anniversary+Stratocaster/10/1

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. There are real bargains to be had (on eBay) with used Fenders, if you know the good models to buy. I have managed to get a 1988 US62RI (?550), a 2000 Custom Shop 63 Tele relic (?1000), and a mint condition 2005 CS 65 Strat (Lake Placid Blue :p ) (?811). All are excellent guitars, and all are nitro finished, unlike my ST60 which cost me ?750. The pickups are better too, particularly on the CS models. They are all very usable guitars, well made and solid, and ideal for regular gigging (once we get some regular gigs... :lol: )

With Tokais, it was only the top of the range models (ST80 and above) that were comparable to the models I've mentioned, and they are very rare. Sellers are now demanding (and getting) ever higher prices because of the rarity value, even if you manage to find a model to your liking.

I like old guitars, but it's a question of how much people are prepared to pay. Sometimes the market sets a price that is just ridiculously high. Look at 70s Strats - generally considered to be amongst the worst guitars Fender ever made, yet people are paying stupid prices for them now.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware!)

Mike

kmarccoco said:
harony central reviews

and the custom shop 54'

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Custom+Shop+%2754+Masterbuilt+50th+Anniversary+Stratocaster/10/1

Sorry, but I think the guy who wrote the first review is an idiot! Why did he buy the guitar if it was that bad? (and why would anyone want 100k pots on a Strat? :eek: ) I have had great customer service from Regent Sounds in London, and haven't needed any customer service for stuff I've bought off eBay. I don't think the Masterbuilt guitars are a fair comparison - they're ridiculously expensive. Use the Time Machine series as a comparison.

If you compare second hand prices, these models are a good, direct comparison with higher level Springys, pricewise. The difference is that there is a wide choice of models avaialable, and they are much harder to fake.

Latest posts

Back