nailed by customs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAF-MAN

Reaction score
just bought another aria pro 2 lp off e-bay. i started getting worried when the tracking showed it was in customs for 4 days. when it arrived i had to pay $85.00 to customs! some dope there valued it at $850.00. out of the 4 arias i had imported this is the only one that got taxed. upon talking to some friends at ups and usps i found out that this is going to be happening alot more often now due to e-bay. just wanted to pass this on to you guys.

I assume you have no right of appeal against their valuation? That's how it seems to work in lots of countries, even those that claim to be "free" or "democratic".

It's always struck me as strange that democratic countries give their customs staff the same freedom from control that dictatorships give to the police :evil:

Mike

see my post from Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:30 pm Post subject: Re: Customs???

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=58462&highlight=#58462

they did the same thing to me; item value was clearly labled YET the Customs A-holes charged me duty by ADDING another $350 to the already declared duty.

There is a 90 day period in which to file a claim, and I will be filing a claim; doesn't mean I will get anything back tho.
We shall see.........

EDIT: This is the only example of US Customs ever doing this so, I hope it is not a new trend, however I have had two deliveries since.
One was levied at the correct declared value, and the other was sent through without a duty :)
They seem inconsistent, at best....................

The way prices are going up, by the time your appeal is heard, the guitar might be worth another $350!

yes, i can appeal it. but i was also told that nothing would be done about it. these customs guys are above the law. my seller always includes an invoice showing the cost, and it was missing when it arrived. this pisses me off too due to insurance reasons.

yeah...but I believe thats fraud if a shop does that. I do it because...it`s true, the guitars I send home from Japan are gifts to my nephew and brother in law.

last Christmas was the first time I sent gutiar gifts by surface mail to Montreal from Japan, always used air mail, and it was the first time my sister had to pay a $30.oo additional charge...duty or customs I`m not sure which.

Duty is what you are charged, Customs does the charging...

I don't know when it changed, but now in Canada, it's only gifts worth less than $20 that are duty-free.

when my sister mails me to say she got this years box of Christmas gifts in Montreal, I`ll ask here if they had to pay anything...no guitars this time though. Mailed it last Monday so should be very soon...usually takes a week door to door by postal service.

box arrived in Montreal safe and sound...no additional charges. It was insured for $300.oo CDN.

I had a guitar shipped to Montreal and paid $130 in duty/taxes, and the declared value was $600 :(

I guess you got lucky sneakyjapan.

I`ve sent Christmas boxes home for the last 14 years from Japan and only once did they have to pay anything. Maybe you were just unlucky.

The only time I've ever been charged for "duty" was on a guitar from the UK (delivered by Parcelforce) about two years ago and never on anything from any other country. In the last week, I've received items from Germany (Luft/USPS) and from Britain (Royalmail/USPS) and none of them had any tax I had to pay associated with them. Everything I get from Asia/Australia comes via EMS/USPS with no duties to pay.

It doesn't make sense (and shouldn't) but maybe the charges have something to do with the shipping method. Seems like every time I've shipped something to Europe, the buyer has had to pay another charge on his end.

yeah many Europens say they pay... a lot...of duty on just about anything. Odd how it works in North America...evidently theres no rhyme nor reason to the system, or maybe there is but it isn`t obvious to us...`cause I sold guitar to the States as well and the buyers did not pay anything.
As I said before, the only time my family paid duty was when I sent a box surface mail. I can`t explain it.

Back