Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TONE - A SUBJECTIVE ISSUE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaigeezer
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for me to add my two cents.
Any recording by Nile Rogers of Chic fame is an advanced tutorial in sheer funk genius, as far as I'm concerned. I listen to him as much if not more than Hendrix, Stevie Ray or other Strat daddies. Not crazy about that whole disco era thing, but am bonkers over Nile Rogers' playing. Another great Strat player I play (or try valiently) along with is the late Curtis Mayfield, who was a major influence on Hendrix himself. Beautiful clean Strat tones, both of them.
Lee

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers has a stunning right hand technique too. I have the honour of playing the intro to Le Freak on most Saturday nights. It still sends a shiver down the old back bone and it ain't that easy to get the riff right neither. We get to do 'We are family' too so it's a double bonus for me.

There are so many great funk players out there with solid tones. EW&F's Al AMcKay also springs to mind. Wha Wha Watson, Paul Jackson Jnr, Dean Parks, Jay Graydon, Hiram Bullock, all top draw players with great tone and I'm only scratching the surface.

What an education
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back the 80's Nile Rogers was interviewed in Guitar World and talked about his Plexi Strat and went on and on about his Tokais! He said he used the Tok's as his main touring and recording tools! It was partly because of that article and the fact that IMC the Tokai distributor was here in the Dallas Ft.Worth area that I got into this Tokai madness!! And as far as the late Curtis Mayfield...after hearing Axis Bold as Love for the first time in 68' I started to detect Hendrix's influences, there would be no Little Wing or Castles made of Sand without The Mayfield Man! " I'm your Mama, I'm your Daddy" you know the rest! TG
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are talking about Curtis and players with great tone, are you guy's familiar with Jon Butcher's album "Wishes"? That's a great guitar recording ! TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LB, If you are interested in the Jon Butcher stuff "Wishes" is his best effort followed by "Pictures from the front" There are some wild JB kind of instrumentals on that one. He went on to form a band called Barefoot Servants and he has a great website. Worst case if you can't find these recordings I can most likely burn a couple for ya! Did you get the Alan Hayes cd ? TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Kazaa, I found Wishe's and Goodbye Saving Grace two of his best!
Lee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of praise for Eric Johnson's TONE. Now this guy is a superb player and I do like the smooth TONE that he generates although I'm not totally flipped by it.

He seems very actively involved in evolving his sound. I guess you could accuse him of disappearing up his own backside when it comes to his methodology on creating the perfect TONE. Squeezing that little bit extra out of his set up to satisfy his own ears perhaps?

I?m not complaining, I?m asking if he is a prime example of going completely over the top about TONE?

So:

Is there a limit to what you can achieve with TONE as a player?
Can it be said that the more you like the TONE, the better you play and the happier you feel?
Do you gain more respect from your peers?
Spend more money on kit?
Can you become obsessive about TONE (Eric)?
etc.

If you gave Eric Johnson a Top Twenty amp and guitar would he still make the solo in White Cliffs of Dover sound just as good?

I reckon he would because it?s him.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee, living in Texas you get to catch EJ often, I have heard him in a music store in Austin playing a strat thru a clean 65' Super Reverb and you could tell who was playing. I don't know how much he could enjoy playing being as obsessive about his rig{ you have heard the stoties about how he sez he can tell the difference between Duracells and other batteries ina stomp box} I find his tone much like an electric violin{ a 10,000 lb one!} He is a player! TG
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokaiguy wrote:
how he sez he can tell the difference between Duracells and other batteries ina stomp box}

I heard the one about how he holds together some of his FX with elastic bands because screws affect the tone - now that's just silly!
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

I've discovered that my pedals are much happier when they are permanently daisy-chained together on a board as opposed to being broken down after a gig and put in separate boxes. Apparently they feel more like part of a team and so believe they work and sound much better together. Personally I don?t understand what they?re on about as it all sounds the same to me.

Anyway, I suffered a few problems with my old Vox wha-wha who, on the grounds of his senior position on the 'board' (ohh dear), 'flatly' refused to have his battery removed (please stop!) and permanently replaced with a 9v supply. Subsequently I had to let him go. His replacement is a "Clyde" unit who seems to be whaing nicely.

Periodically a row flares up between the 9v and 240v camps that usually starts with the 240's humming wildly out of tune. However, this is usually rectified with a wiggle of the wires or by delivering a swift kick to the biggest box.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT!

A whole tone thread and I never got to post on it damn and tarnation!

I have decided that great tone resides mostly in the upper frequencies - almost sounds like noise, makes a kind of swushy sound is quite complex and therfore pleasing to the ear.

I have heard this tone on all the greats so it must be true.

And that is great tone finally defined for all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: