New H&k Statesman 20watt

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafke182

Reaction score
Hello Guys ,

Anybody tried one out?

I'm gassing on a deluxe reverb ri and a H&k statesman, only i don't know wich one i shloud get.

The drri is a little bit expensive and the statesman is just on my budget.

I like those blues tones comming from a drri, i only wish i would have among the same sound from the statesman.

Can't say anything about the statesman, but once I've owned a H&K Tube20 amp ...

I wasn't convinced by this amp as I was also looking for bluesey tone. I'm sure the Celestion speaker was the reason for the more harsh sounding result ... maybe swapping the speaker would have given an improvement ???? I don't know ...
... and then I had the chance to play a DRRI ... WoW ... then I knew what to do !!! :wink: :wink:
After the purchase I replaced the speaker by a ToneTubby ... heavenly sounding amp now. I still have it - a keeper ... a little gem - just my 2 cents ... :lol:

Roger

Sorry Rog...i have to disagree.
I tried a H&K Statesman 20watt today.
Very impressed at the volume from this thing.
The cabinet has a closed back so some people may not like that but i like the bass tones that this design delivers...always have.
A great amp for blues playing...not great for metal.
The drive channel breaks up far too much for metal or hard rock...you'd have to use an overdrive pedal.
I used it with a Dean Cadillac(les paul style) and an Ibanez SA model with coil splitting.
With the Dean the "TWANG" switch on the clean channel worked to give the guitar a Tele type tone but ONLY effective at huge volumes.
With the Ibanez the "TWANG" switch didn't even have to be used due to the coil splitting on the guitar and the 5-way switch made it easy to get some nice strat type blues tones.
A nice amp for sure....but with the type of music that i play and the volume levels that the band plays at,it would be more of a novelty item for me and at $1300(AUD) that's a novelty I can't afford.

I have H&K 20th Anniversary Tube Edition... just a wonderful amp, warm and clear. I like closed back combos for a punch in tone! Just wonderful amp.

anyone tried one out till now?

I'm still thinking it over to get one or save up for a Fender deluxe reverb.

Only concern is can you play some AC/DC with the drri?

Well I bought one and all what I can say is that it outperform many high class amps costing three or four times more. It nails Fender/ Vox clean and with the hot bridge pickup it can rock the clean channel for those dirty vintage Marshall amp ala JTM45. Dirty channel is very cool also but you need to make compromise with clean ch. because they share the same eq.. It's wonderful for studio work but live I would use pedals. It's an amp with the balls and it looks as it sounds. Construction is from first class workmanship so much better than anything in the same price range or even higher! It's loud and it can cover those Angus Young riffs very nice specially from the Dirty Deeds... to the Back in Black era.

hello auratnik,

How are they for some blues a la peter green?

Do you have some soundsamples or a youtube or something aboud yours?

Back