nice one...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres another stunner 1200 there for 300000, but i think they are asking too much, after shipping fees and taxes thats around ?1800 to get it to the EU....

i think the going rate for 1200's in Japan is 250000 max for a stunner top, and 200-odd for a good one...

having said that, all of the 1200's and the 2 1800's that I currently have, are among the best feeling and playing LP's that i own, and every 1200 I have owned in the past, (20-odd), has been a brilliant guitar...so maybe someone will bid..

hi mark, i just saw your site and saw the egf1200 is sold for US$3600.........
if they are only like 250000 yen in japan why are they so much more
at your store?.............it seems way too much to me so i was just
wondering...........the euro stuff ? :roll:

8) no mr.mij-vintage, its more like $2000 to $3600 actually..........
i work for the music business in japan so i know the situation i think.....

man, those old high end japa guitars are becoming real popular and
valuable lately.........when i was a teenager in the 80s they were treated
like nothing to gibson/fender/other american guitars/ basically.........
really, nobody much cared of them in japan unlike people do today.......
the time has changed and now 2008...........interesting 50 years later.......

anyways...........j 8)

Yeah, good bump alright

Especially when you have a buddy in Japan who ships them over for you, then you don't have to pay any import tax, why?

Gee wizz, they would send it as a gift, or an agreed declared amount..........lol

After all, the massive 5% Yahoo Auction Fee..............yeah, big profit bump LOL

Mick

Oh yeah, forgot to add

The Japan Auction winning bidder would be your buddies in Japan............

Not YOURS

So......................next to no IMPORT TAX when he/she send's it over....................as a gift or declared amount....

Mick

8) yep mick dundee, thats how the way it can work as the minimum for
the maximum profit.........c mon people man, we should be helping each other for better world and beautiful music and guitars, not f**king on them...

love n peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................................thanks mick.......joe, :wink:

MIJvintage said:
.............so it goes from the $2400 ball park, at auction, to the $3600 ball park once it sells again; that is some expensive ticket to play................

RICH...you are completely correct that is what the price change is...nicely put...... you are ignoring the fact that taxes and fees and shipping take up a large proportion of that figure.....

JOE..., are you accusing me of fucking on people then? thats not very nice is it?

MICK... are you suggesting I repeatedly defraud customs as a good way to run a business? maybe if you buy 1 or 2 guitars a year then its possible to escape duties ..but i buy 15 odd a month and so the situation is a bit different...It would be stupid and possibly cost me my business to do as you suggest...so I won't do that..
I will continue to pay the correct duties, and run my business in a non fraudulent manner...

some facts.....

the EGF 1200 I have for sale is actually not $3600...its $3200

there are no EGF-1200's far sale in japan for $2000, and the last 2 on yahoo went for 250000 which is around $2300... .

i use a private buyer, not an auction service..each guitar is checked before i get it, and returned to the seller if not perfect... and the fees i pay for this are rather higher than 5%..I also actually believe in not cheating the customs, it would be stupid to try to defraud them when running a business, and they will catch you if you do this.

8) i didnt mean you but whoever............you know there are tons of tons
guitars, millions of guitars are in japan. so we can always buy them pretty cheap and bring them to the overseas and sell high or any price that works.
i am just saying since i know a lot of people taking this advantage often but
when we think of the honest musicians who buy them and whats right or wrong, thats not very nice is it ?

i am japanese living in japan so i know millions guitars here and they are
not expensive like the other countries. so guys, be careful not to pay too much to anyone when you buy the guitars new or used from japan..........

am i saying anything wrong here ?

joe truth, :wink:

Hi Joe

Yeah, I would definately be careful of who I buy from, there are some shockers out there who sell stuff just for profit, and you know, some people have fallen victim in the past, and sadly some will fall victim in the future......

Mick

no your saying nothing wrong...

please find me the millions of cheap Greco EGF-1200's and Tokai reborn 200's that are so abundant in Japan, and buy them all for me.... :D

then I can give them away them to those honest musicians.

Mick I completely agree, you must be careful when buying these instruments...ask questions, and be sure the seller has a full exchange policy, and a superb reputation for customer satisfaction....this is what i base my business on.

Greetings from Scotland to Japan, Australia & France!! did I get your countries correct? :)

I'm not a great forum junkie, but occasionally look at this and the Les Paul Forum...but only if I'm really bored!

This discussion caught my eye...Villager how are you? You will know my identitiy as I bought the CS 1981 LS-200 earlier this year?? :)

In light of tone of some posts in this thread, I would add the caveat that I am absolutely not complaining to you some 10+ months after the sale, nor attempting to discredit your business in any way, shape or form as that is very serious, and may even have legal implications. Phew...I'm not normally so careful about what I say!

However I was intrigued to read your statement:-

'each guitar is checked before i get it, and returned to the seller if not perfect... and the fees i pay for this are rather higher than 5%'

You will recall when I received the guitar from you there were two significant issues I would have expected to be covered by the above statement, but which you freely admitted to me you didn't notice.

1) Four loose frets on the treble side Nos. 18 - 22. Was obvious someone had tried to hammer them back down, denting the frets. I sent you a photo of this. (for anyone reading my long winded diatribe, I should mention that the guitar had been refretted and was advertised as such, however a refret shouldn't mean loose frets)

2) Collapsed bridge - (concave rather than flat) Again you admitted you didn't notice this, and we discussed this at length as I recall, as you mentioned the same issue on the OS LS 150 which was for sale at the time. Again, I sent you a pic, and advised on methods for correcting it , i.e. careful use of 3 small wooden blocks and a vise.

The issues with my LS 200 are long resolved to my by my own fair hand, however my point is this...you state you are paying 'rather more that 5%' to have a guitar checked. In my opinion Villager, you/we are being ripped off, as the checker does not appear to be capable of detecting very obvious faults such as these, at least in my case. The loose frets were immediately apparent when playing it in the upper register by the sharp fret ends nearly cutting my hand, and the collapsed bridge gave a very poor playing radius which would not facilitate low action without buzzing...compounded by the poor cutting of the bridge saddles in the past with what appeared to be a triangle file. I didn't include the bridge saddles as an issue, as I believe they should be considered a consumable item like top nuts, output jacks etc.

To reiterate my point, I am not reactively reading other posts in this thread, then accusing you of maliciously ignoring faults on what is a 26 year old secondhand guitar. But as you/we are paying handsomely for a checking service, then this instrument should have been 'returned to the seller' as it was not 'perfect'

Moving on, it is great to see you have more stock that ever of these wonderful instruments, and my sincere apologies for not getting back to you re Greco EGF-1800, but I couldn't live with the dark area on the back....please find another as the Led Zep O2 gig has further wetted my appetite for all things sunburst! (no i didn't get a ticket, but youtube had some great footage...until Warner pulled it!)

As it's nearly Christmas, may I just add goodwill to all men, and if there's any women reading, my number is....

Lester Polfus

yes i agree with all that, and remember it well.. but checking is not the only service that i pay him for, theres a fair bit more involved...I specifically ask to check for neck breaks or any major problems, I do not ask him to set up and test play every guitar.....

I have to disagree with your opinion, I don't think that i am getting ripped off at all!!! he has saved me a lot of money and hassle ....and I simply could not aquire the rare guitars that I do without his help and guidance....

i see hundreds of guitars from Japan, some have minor issues, most do not, but there are quite a few which, thanks to my buyer, dont get as far as shipping and are returned to the seller, or checked out by my buyer, and a recommendation made not to buy, which i usually follow...

i dont really mean ''perfect''.. as, of course, thats not always the case with vintage guitars... I should have said ''perfectly as expected'' ie no serious problems of which i was not aware....sometimes my guy misses things, and sometimes I miss things too..however, when you are talking about something as rare as an LS-200, I would still have bought it even had i known of the issues,

there will always be an occasional guitar with minor issues that are not always apparant to me, and that only appear after playing for a while, thats why I have my 1 month exchange policy..

once again apologies for the problems with the LS-200, but I am happy with the service I get from my buyer, and happy with the cost..

everyone makes mistakes occasionally, and when I do, then I will always try my utmost to resolve them....

re the 1800 have a look at my site...heh..something nice there..

Lester Polfus said:
However I was intrigued to read your statement:-

'each guitar is checked before i get it, and returned to the seller if not perfect... and the fees i pay for this are rather higher than 5%'

You will recall when I received the guitar from you there were two significant issues I would have expected to be covered by the above statement, but which you freely admitted to me you didn't notice.

It's a long time I didn't come and I just saw this topic. I have to agree with the guy above. I've bought a nice guitar, at least for me, but I'd rather avoided to state "EXC conditions" when she had the same problems: collapsed bridge and noisy buzzing frets.
I wondered 'cause the first thing anybody who play guitar notices it's the buzz. It's seems the number of guitars with these problems increases.
Same story for a friend of mine: collapsed bridge.
Also. Something alse that bothered me a little it's the '60 slim taper neck. When asked the answer it's been "not thick as a '59 but not thin as a '60". I had the chance to try a real '60 last week and the neck it's indentical to mine.

lads ..I try my best...sorry things can not always be perfect...these are vintage instruments and sometimes there are some issues, usually easily resolved...

....Ikkyu ...

If you had any complaints about the guitar I sold you, you should have addressed them to me when you received it...since i heard nothing from you then i assumed you were happy with the guitar....

a partially collapsed or warped bridge is fairly common on these vintage guitars, and can be difficult to spot depending on the severity of the warp.....and I will not usually change the bridge for a non original part...

fret buzzing is due to low action...not really an issue if you know how to raise a bridge....

so if you had told me that you had to buy a new bridge and raise the action then I would have offered you some small compensation at the time...but you said nothing so how do you expect me to know?

EXC refers to the overall condition of the guitar, on an overall basis....ie no major dings cracks or neck problems...

to be frank, i do not see a warped bridge, or action set too low as a major problem, sorry that you did...as to the neck size..well the model you bought is described as having a 50's neck....I agree with that....you must realise there is no set measurement for this parameter, and my description of neck size is a subjective one based on experience...there's a lot of variation in neck size for both the 1959 and 1960's gibsons...and so the line between 50's and 60's style is somewhat vague...

If you buy a guitar off me and you don't like it then you can simply exchange it ...but you have to let me know if you want to do this at the time of sale....if you dont tell me there is a prolem then i can not do anything to resolve it ...

once again I am sorry you were not completely satisfied with the guitar..but apart from offering a complete guarantee and exchange option, theres not much more I can do ....every guitar cannot be 100% perfect, and all guitars need adjustment to your particular playing style.....

I'm happy with the guitar and I like it, if not I'd told you as soon as I got it.
But when you say "partially collapsed" bridge... well if you get a guitar take a pic of the bridge and send it to me, I'll tell you istantly and without any chance to be wrong if she is playable with that "collapsing".
Also what you stated "fret buzzing is due to low action...not really an issue if you know how to raise a bridge.... "
Let's be serious. I play guitar since I was 6 or 7, I'm now 44 so I had the chance to play guitar for a long time, extensively, probably of all types.
Thank God I know how to raise a bridge and set it up to play comfortly. If the buzz is on 3 fret, then on 7 then on 14, on 2nd string, then on 3rd, on 4th... well listen to me: it's due to the frets coming off the wood. And a part it's due the collapsed bridge.
If you think buzzing frets it's not a big problem... it's just you can't play because tall frets.
Anyway here's a little trick for you: if the 1st and 6th strings don't buzz and the others do, there's a big chance it might depends on the bridge that became a banana.
Simple as that.
The neck sizes. The modern guitars are much more accurate than old ones, obviously, because the CNC machines and so on.
But the different neck average sizes in the years are well renown: 57-58 the biggest necks, 59 big even if not that big, 60 slim tapers.
Of course there could have been differences between two necks built on same day, but millimeters or a centimeter at the most.
The 57-58 were almost the double the 60, usually, with the 59 being quite thicker.

botbdata1wl.jpg

a few mm is a lot...

Latest posts

Back