LS-150 vs. LS-320

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

First of all I want you to excuse my rather bad english,-))

Although I registered on this forum months ago and been a visitor to this forum for many years I never posted anything,-)) That changes right now..
The first Tokai I purchased is a LS80S GT from 2005 via ishibashi music and have been addicted to Tokai ever since. Before that Tokai I always had Gibsons (and still have one, just for sentimental reasons), but after my first contact with this Goldtop everything changed, beacuse I saw that it was possible to build high quality guitars at a very reasonable price.
In 200& I bought a LS150VF and just after two weeks with this guitar it was clear, that this is the best Les Paul I ever owned or played, it was unbelievable (and still is,-)).
Everytime I read comments on Tokai guitars and how good they are compared to Gibsons I wondered if those people really compared a Gibson with a Tokai, because it was hard to belive for me, that a guitar which was for sale at half the price of a Gibbo could be that good.
I know it's a fact now,-))
Ok, so much for the history, let's get to the present: I'm always looking for a guitar which combines the best features of an old Gibson Les Paul Standard at an affordable price, and thought I found the best alternative with my LS-150, because an LS200 at that time had no advantages for me, except a nicer looking top, and LS320 was so hard to get, especially a 320 with good looking paintjob and top (think of all those 320 clownbursts out there,-)).
Well last week I browsed a website just by accident and what would my eyes see? Guess what, it was a really beautiful 2002 LS320VF with a somewhat interesting top figure and the store was just some minutes away from me. So I gave them a call as soon as possible and just sayed "Tokai" on the phone, "Tokai, is it still in stock?", "Yes it is" was the answer, so I jumped in my car, drove to the store and bought that baby without playing it via amp, just dry, that was enough for me. I never had a Les Paul in my hands with that kind of attack and playability and with that look, wow!
When I was home, I took out my folding rule and measured the LS150 and the 320. The 320's headstock is 2mm narrower, than the LS150 one, and also the body shape and top carving differs, the 320 is somewhat more "handy". It's a great guitar, and nothing even comes close to it, simply amazing. The only point that I don't like are the Seymour Duncan Pups, they sound to compressed for me, but that is just a question of taste, some may like it, some not.
I compared my 320 with the 320 of a friend of mine and we recovered, that the binding of my friends 320 (1998) is 2-3mm wider than the binding on mine, and also, that he has a different kind of Tokai case, which is different from my 320's and 150's case. Are there so many differences between 1998, 2005 and 2002 Tokai Cases?

Another point of interest for me is, whether the LS380 has the "correct" headstock which is thinner on top. But that's just for informational reasons,-))))

There is also a difference in the color of the plastic parts of my LS150 and the 320, the 150 ones are somehow pinky, the 320 more white, is that normal? Is this a matter of the model, or the production year?
I know that the 320 Bridge has brass saddles, does an LS150 feature this, too? I saw in the 2006 Tokai catalogue (thanks togps!), that models from LS135 upwards feature brass saddle bridges but I am not sure whether this was introduced in 2006 or even was standard before.

Ok, so far,-))

CU

Jonas

Hi!

The only pic I have right now is in this thread:

http://www.aussensaiter.de/forum/thread.php?thread=140559&count=4&unit=day

It's the left one, the right one is the 98 LS320 of my friend.

Cu

Hi jonas!
As Tokais are still built with a lotta hand done jobs, all the guitars are a bit different. Neck shapes vary, colors vary, thickness of the maple top varies, shaping of the top varies, .....................................!

Plastic parts: Most of the plastic parts are same as Allparts, but I know bout that difference in color. There is more yellowish creme colors (or more white), and on the other side more warm creme colors. That?s normal!

So I think you?ll have to accept that your guitar is just one unique piece of craftsmanship, and it is like no other. And no piece of wood is like another! Even if they are from the same tree! Each guitar sounds different!

If you wonna know about your brass saddles, just lift one of your bass strings and have a look at the saddle! You?ll see if the brass is shining through in the slot!

Pickup? I think I do not have to tell ya, which are the ones I would choose! ;-)

Good on ya mate, "ACY"

P.S.: Tokais are no mass product where each model got to have absoluteley same specs as the other one! They feel free enough in building very good instruments within a bit wider range of production tolerances. And that?s nothin wrong to me!

Hi Acy! Good on you!

I'd say that's Tokai in a nutshell. :D :D :D

Cheers! Rupert

-----------------------------------------------
However, at some point we'll have to talk about the bias thingy....
8)

Hi Acy!

Thanks for your reply!
As far as I know is Allparts also delivering the parts for the Historic Gibsons, and they have -from what I've seen and touched- at least at the humbucking rings always the same color, which is the color of my LS320, but the LS150's color is so much different I wouldn't say it's the same brand (there is also a difference in shape).
I'll check my saddles under the wound strings, thanks a lot!
You would recommend H?ussel, I know, but my fav is David Plummer, sorry!,-))
I know that things can differ by each model if they are handmade, but things like the "correct" headstock thickness is something which I think won't differ,-))

Thanks a lot!

Bye!

Guess you know them anyway. Just in "case"...

http://www.crazyparts.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.crazyparts.de/

Hi!
I was also researching a little bit arround bout some correct specs, not for classifying my Tokais, just for some more information as I can use these daily.

So I bought me that wonderful Les Paul book (The beauty of the burst) with lots of interesting facts arround Les Pauls. That also shows that the Paulas never been exactly the same. Great book and a "must have" for all fans of those well curved ladies! ;-)

No H?ussels for you ............... :-(

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just kiddin?! Just working on a brandnew "Lounge" pickup, and testing the first prototype. Great Vintage style pickup in low output section. (arround 7,7k?s) Sounds very different to the other existing pickups of our range.

cheers mate, "ACY"

Jonas said:
As far as I know is Allparts also delivering the parts for the Historic Gibsons, and they have -from what I've seen and touched- at least at the humbucking rings always the same color, which is the color of my LS320, but the LS150's color is so much different I wouldn't say it's the same brand (there is also a difference in shape).

Yes, Tokai?s not using the same hardware all the time. Bridges are coming from Gotoh, P.W (still don?t know who this is - also used on Gibsons since a couple of years now) and no special brand but "made in Japan" Logo on the bottom. The rings are from different brands, that?s true, and the whiter ones fit better to Tokai?s binding colors. Also the pickups are not always the same on the same guitar models. .................

To me that is a part of a "Japanese charm" of these guitars. You?ll never know exactly what you?re getting til you?re holding it in your hands! But you?ll get some guitar on higher level for sure.

cya, "ACY"

Hi ACY! Did you challenge the long tenon of my LS150? on ebay
Chhers! Rup

d823a7da.jpg

rgrafend said:
Hi ACY! Did you challenge the long tenon of my LS150? on ebay
Chhers! Rup

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning Germanyyyyyyyyyyy! :wink:

(for States it?s still much too early to say that! :D

No Rup, why should I? But you know that it?s hundred of pics on that site? Wow! :wink:

Good success!

cheers, "ACY"

ACY said:
So I bought me that wonderful Les Paul book (The beauty of the burst) with lots of interesting facts arround Les Pauls. That also shows that the Paulas never been exactly the same. Great book and a "must have" for all fans of those well curved ladies! ;-)

No H?ussels for you ............... :-(

Hi Acy!

Yes, BOTB is a must have, that's right. And Iwanade writes in his book, that the Pauls differ, but that some specs remain the same, such as the headstock, which is thinner on top. I thought, the 320 is Tokais attempt to get as near to a 59 as possible, so this would be a detail which I would put on a replica.
Be that as it may, such things don't affect sound, it's just for optical reasons, so I keep enjoying my 320 and even more, when the Zahngbuckers will arrive,-)))

Bye

Back