building a guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie h

Reaction score
anyone know of good stockist in uk for parts? fancy building my own axe
warmoth looks fab till you add on import tax may as well buy a new one for that price in the spec i want. spent hours searching net for uk dealer similar to warmoth but no joy. advice much needed and appreciated.

It depends what you want to build. If it's a Strat or Tele type, Allparts sell decent bits. However, it's still likely to cost you more than buying a ready assembled guitar, and the resale value is likely to be low - buyers like known brand names.

If you buy the various bits on eBay you could save lots of money. All the bits of this (apart from the new scratchplate, pots, switch etc.) were bought from eBay and assembled by me:

119_1918.jpg

The Warmoth ash hardtail body cost me ?165, the Fender CIJ 62RI neck was around ?200 with tuners. All in all, it cost me about ?500, but I doubt if I would get that if I tried to sell it. It was very satisfying to build it all myself, & it taught me a lot, but the neck still isn't right - it's too chunky for me.

Beware though, there are even more dodgy parts on eBay than there are dodgy guitars - "solid" Strat bodies that are either ply or balsa! "Fender" necks that are Squier necks with a new decal. And then sometimes a neck and body just won't match up - it can be a bit of a lottery. Buying second-hand pickups seems to be a safer bet though.

Hope this helps.

Mike

thanks mate thought that would be the case, can't bring myself to trust
e-bay. You've done a fine job on your axe though what does she play like? got the custom edition strat so fancied building maybe a warlock or rhodes something very metal might try second hand shops for busted guitars when ever i get a day off!

The grey Strat plays very well, it rings very nicely when played acoustically. The humbucker switching arrangement is good too, but I still find myself using single coils by choice, so it's not my first choice of guitars usually. I'm not sure what it's long term future is, I might remove the humbuckers in future, I'm not sure yet.

I'm not that familiar with those metal guitars you're talking about, but don't quite a few of them have set necks? They might be a fair bit harder to put together than a standard Strat, specially if you have complicated things like Floyd Roses to worry about. Might be better to start off with something simple, so that you learn the basics with easy stuff, on a fairly cheap guitar (so it doesn't matter too much if you mess it up).

If you do build one, let us see what it looks like :D

Mike

Hi eddie h, I agree that a fixed neck is a hard learning curve.
Have had a go myself and got most of the parts from ebay , from good sellers( can give you the contacts if needed.
Red strat
Body & neck mighty mite
trem & tuners gotoh
pick ups (old jap fender that i up graded )
pickguard (fender anodised)
pots (300k not 250k as std)
5 way switch
[/img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd218/gezkc/S6000220.jpg

Latest posts

Back