Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

greco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muppet, the owner of the site "japan guitars" is our forum member "Villager". I saw the RR95k and yes it has 5 numbers, it confirms what i said in an earlier post , it will be a 1984 model because greco only made the RR models for a couple of years in the early eighties, mines a 1983 model. The one you've bought has the flower pot logo so it definitely is a "mint collection" . Post some detailed pics of it when it arrives.......Cheers Mick
muppet
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
Hi Muppet, the owner of the site "japan guitars" is our forum member "Villager". I saw the RR95k and yes it has 5 numbers, it confirms what i said in an earlier post , it will be a 1984 model because greco only made the RR models for a couple of years in the early eighties, mines a 1983 model. The one you've bought has the flower pot logo so it definitely is a "mint collection" . Post some detailed pics of it when it arrives.......Cheers Mick
cheers mick for your time will send load of pics for you cannot wait only got those 3 pics at moment which you can look at ?280 of e bay is it worth the money.
________
Edmund E. Anderson

Last edited by muppet on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
muppet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet wrote:
leadguitar_323 wrote:
cheers mick for your time will send load of pics for you cannot wait only got those 3 pics at moment which you can look at cost me ?280 so does that mean that if its got 5 numbers that it is a rr but i have to find the model like 95 65 55cheers

________
oxygen vaporizer

Last edited by muppet on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YY=decade year ie 85=1985
Y=year ie 5=1985
XXXX=production number
M=month A=Jan...L=Dec

The early Grecos have the same serial number format as the early Ibanez's which is not really surprising as they come from the same FujiGen factory and there were certain models of guitars that were both Grecos and Ibanez's like the Greco Mirage/Ibanez Iceman and the Greco Mirage and the Ibanez Iceman both have the same FujiGen serial number format MYYXXXX.
Then around 1979 a new serial number format appeared as well as the one above which was YXXXX.
There is a month variation of this format which is MYXXXX and if you compare this format to the FujiGen MYYXXXX format it does look about the same but with the decade year missing.

Last edited by japanstrat on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet wrote:
leadguitar_323 wrote:
cheers mick for your time will send load of pics for you cannot wait only got those 3 pics at moment which you can look at ?280 of is it worth the money.

________
marijuana vaporizers

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muppet the 5 number ones are not RR's as my one is a 6 digit one. Japan strat explained it well, they come from a different factory. Question for Japanstrat, do the Dyna ones have the long tenon in the early eighties like the fujigen equivalents ??..........Mick
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
Hi Muppet the 5 number ones are not RR's as my one is a 6 digit one. Japan strat explained it well, they come from a different factory. Question for Japanstrat, do the Dyna ones have the long tenon in the early eighties like the fujigen equivalents ??..........Mick
so mine was made in dyna factory are they same quality and eventually took over and carry on making guitars now is that right so still have no idea what make it is cheers
________
Ford Skyliner

japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyna are about the same as FujiGen but are less well known because FujiGen made the Ibanez so called lawsuit guitars and Dyna didn't.
When FujiGen lost the Fender Japan contract it was Dyna and Tokai that took over the Fender Japan making and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a FujiGen MIJ Fender and a Dyna CIJ Fender.

Last edited by japanstrat on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanstrat wrote:
Dyna are about the same as FujiGen but are less well known because FujiGen made the Ibanez so called lawsuit guitars and Dyna didn't.
When FujiGen lost the Fender Japan contract it was Dyna and Tokai that took over the Fender Japan making and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a FujiGen MIJ Fender and a Dyna CIJ Fender.
Dyna seemed to match FujiGen in the way they made the Grecos with the ones before 1982 having the dowel tenons and then the long tenons after 1982.
The dowel tenon thing was used by more than one Japanese factory in the 70s and 80s.
Also Matsumoku could match FujiGen in terms of quality while they were active until 1987.
Some of the 70s/80s Matsumoku Arias and Epiphones are great quality.
It's hard to tell the difference between a FujiGen made guitar and a Dyna made guitar for both the Grecos and Fender Japan.
FujiGen and Dyna have similar guitar building histories with both of them mainly concentrating on making solid body guitars and the guitars they make can be very similar to each other.
There is more of a difference between say Terada and FujiGen.
Terada concentrated on making mainly Acoustics and Semi Acoustics and when Terada did build solid bodies as with the G serial Orville by Gibsons they end up a bit different to the no G serial FujiGen made Orville by Gibsons because Terada have more of an Acoustic making sort of style which is a bit different to the FujiGen and Dyna solid body style.
thanx for info i collect guitars i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers
________
Chrysler C platform

stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet wrote:
[i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers

Dave Kelly from The Blues Band used to play a Westbury Standard back in the 80s, I always wondered where they came from - I've never see another one. It certainly sounded good when he played it, as good as his old battered SG, & better than that ridiculous Ovation Viper he sometimes played.

Mike
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
muppet wrote:
[i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers

Dave Kelly from The Blues Band used to play a Westbury Standard back in the 80s, I always wondered where they came from - I've never see another one. It certainly sounded good when he played it, as good as his old battered SG, & better than that ridiculous Ovation Viper he sometimes played.

Mike
have a look at my pics in face book westbury there also i just got greco i know its mint collection dont now model will i have to remove pickups to find out the model do you have any idea cheers
________
buy no2 vaporizer

muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
muppet wrote:

Mike
have a look at my pics in face book westbury there also i just got greco i know its mint collection dont now model will i have to remove pickups to find out the model do you have any idea cheers
westburys were made between 1979 82 then the factory burnt down
________
M112 engine

Last edited by muppet on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet wrote:
muppet wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
muppet wrote:

Mike
westburys were made between 1979 82 then the factory burnt down
stat man know anything about fernades virtigo looking at one on ebay at moment cheers
________
buy mflb

stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not really, though there is a Fernandes Mary Kaye blond Strat on eBay right now that looks gorgeous:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110189002624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

But it's already up to ?300 with 6 days to go! So clearly a lot of other people think it looks good too. I was thinking about starting a new thread about this guitar to try to find out more information, but I really mustn't buy any more Strats.......

Mike
muppet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Nope, not really, though there is a Fernandes Mary Kaye blond Strat on eBay right now that looks gorgeous:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110189002624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

But it's already up to ?300 with 6 days to go! So clearly a lot of other people think it looks good too. I was thinking about starting a new thread about this guitar to try to find out more information, but I really mustn't buy any more Strats.......

Mike
yes i looked at that aswell very nice any others to look out for if they pop up
________
vapir one review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: