greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Muppet the 5 number ones are not RR's as my one is a 6 digit one. Japan strat explained it well, they come from a different factory. Question for Japanstrat, do the Dyna ones have the long tenon in the early eighties like the fujigen equivalents ??..........Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Muppet the 5 number ones are not RR's as my one is a 6 digit one. Japan strat explained it well, they come from a different factory. Question for Japanstrat, do the Dyna ones have the long tenon in the early eighties like the fujigen equivalents ??..........Mick
so mine was made in dyna factory are they same quality and eventually took over and carry on making guitars now is that right so still have no idea what make it is cheers
________
Ford Skyliner

Dyna are about the same as FujiGen but are less well known because FujiGen made the Ibanez so called lawsuit guitars and Dyna didn't.
When FujiGen lost the Fender Japan contract it was Dyna and Tokai that took over the Fender Japan making and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a FujiGen MIJ Fender and a Dyna CIJ Fender.

japanstrat said:
Dyna are about the same as FujiGen but are less well known because FujiGen made the Ibanez so called lawsuit guitars and Dyna didn't.
When FujiGen lost the Fender Japan contract it was Dyna and Tokai that took over the Fender Japan making and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a FujiGen MIJ Fender and a Dyna CIJ Fender.
Dyna seemed to match FujiGen in the way they made the Grecos with the ones before 1982 having the dowel tenons and then the long tenons after 1982.
The dowel tenon thing was used by more than one Japanese factory in the 70s and 80s.
Also Matsumoku could match FujiGen in terms of quality while they were active until 1987.
Some of the 70s/80s Matsumoku Arias and Epiphones are great quality.
It's hard to tell the difference between a FujiGen made guitar and a Dyna made guitar for both the Grecos and Fender Japan.
FujiGen and Dyna have similar guitar building histories with both of them mainly concentrating on making solid body guitars and the guitars they make can be very similar to each other.
There is more of a difference between say Terada and FujiGen.
Terada concentrated on making mainly Acoustics and Semi Acoustics and when Terada did build solid bodies as with the G serial Orville by Gibsons they end up a bit different to the no G serial FujiGen made Orville by Gibsons because Terada have more of an Acoustic making sort of style which is a bit different to the FujiGen and Dyna solid body style.
thanx for info i collect guitars i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers
________
Chrysler C platform

muppet said:
[i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers

Dave Kelly from The Blues Band used to play a Westbury Standard back in the 80s, I always wondered where they came from - I've never see another one. It certainly sounded good when he played it, as good as his old battered SG, & better than that ridiculous Ovation Viper he sometimes played.

Mike

stratman323 said:
muppet said:
[i also have a westbury standard all orignal from matsumoko factory has dimazio pickups they are loud cheers

Dave Kelly from The Blues Band used to play a Westbury Standard back in the 80s, I always wondered where they came from - I've never see another one. It certainly sounded good when he played it, as good as his old battered SG, & better than that ridiculous Ovation Viper he sometimes played.

Mike
have a look at my pics in face book westbury there also i just got greco i know its mint collection dont now model will i have to remove pickups to find out the model do you have any idea cheers
________
buy no2 vaporizer

muppet said:
stratman323 said:
muppet said:

Mike
have a look at my pics in face book westbury there also i just got greco i know its mint collection dont now model will i have to remove pickups to find out the model do you have any idea cheers
westburys were made between 1979 82 then the factory burnt down
________
M112 engine

muppet said:
muppet said:
stratman323 said:
muppet said:

Mike
westburys were made between 1979 82 then the factory burnt down
stat man know anything about fernades virtigo looking at one on ebay at moment cheers
________
buy mflb

Nope, not really, though there is a Fernandes Mary Kaye blond Strat on eBay right now that looks gorgeous:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110189002624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

But it's already up to ?300 with 6 days to go! So clearly a lot of other people think it looks good too. I was thinking about starting a new thread about this guitar to try to find out more information, but I really mustn't buy any more Strats.......

Mike

stratman323 said:
Nope, not really, though there is a Fernandes Mary Kaye blond Strat on eBay right now that looks gorgeous:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110189002624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

But it's already up to ?300 with 6 days to go! So clearly a lot of other people think it looks good too. I was thinking about starting a new thread about this guitar to try to find out more information, but I really mustn't buy any more Strats.......

Mike
yes i looked at that aswell very nice any others to look out for if they pop up
________
vapir one review

muppet said:
stratman323 said:

Mike
yes i looked at that aswell very nice any others to look out for if they pop up

Yes, me too, looks lovely. Is anyone on the forum not looking at it?

leadguitar_323 said:
Thanks Stratman, you are a wealth of information and it is very much appreciated............Cheers Mick
mint collection grecos which era was they trying to replicate on les pauls or does it depend on which mint collection model you have ie neck tennon and if you have a mint collection what is the equalant in eg models i hope thats right cheers
________
Ford V-8

leadguitar_323 said:
OOPS i meant Japanstrat.. :oops: I'm having a bad day.
hi git the guitar have look on my photobucket see if anyone can identify them only letter i could find was a d stand on cavity cheers
________
jugalettes

I don't think the D letter means much. It's probably a factory code for something.
When a Greco has a letter in it's serial number on the back of the headstock it stands for the month.

japanstrat said:
I don't think the D letter means much. It's probably a factory code for something.
When a Greco has a letter in it's serial number on the back of the headstock it stands for the month.
i wonder if it stands for dyna factory because it has only 5 numbers any idea on pick ups not much to go on no sticker so still cannot identify the model of the guitar only know its mint collection
________
Toyota Crown Comfort LPG

Yes it might stand for Dyna.
I had a look at your pickups and I can't see any markings on them.

japanstrat said:
Yes it might stand for Dyna.
I had a look at your pickups and I can't see any markings on them.
do you have any ideas im thinking of putting buble bees on is a case of just soldering in and taking out the flat caps that are in cheers
________
magic flight launch box

Latest posts

Back